Nailing bipartisanship
September 20th, 2012

Nailing bipartisanship

(CNN) - In a rare moment bipartisanship, some on Capitol Hill Thursday saw the parties joining together to drive a nail, rather than drive a wedge.

House Speaker John Boehner stepped in to assist House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi hammer in a ceremonial first nail.

Boehner, Pelosi, and other legislative leaders were appearing at a ceremony marking the start of construction on the platform for the presidential inauguration in January.

Filed under: 2012 • Congress • John Boehner • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Sniffit

What I wouldn't do for the opportunity to use Boehner's forehead to do the job.

September 20, 2012 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. Sniffit

What I wouldn't do for the opportunity to use Boehner's forehead to do the job. Although, to be fair, I'm sure Pelosi wouldn't feel it if someone used her forehead for it...botox and all.

September 20, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Woman In California

Great picture for it's intent, but I'm sure I speak for most Americans when I say we want to see real bipartisanship on some job bills to get people back to work.

September 20, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Nice picture. Where's the part about the Republicanss, led by that guy there in the picture, dismissing the House with 7 days still on the calendar, ignoring all of the unfinished business out there. The Republicans have guaranteed that the fiscal cliff issue will not get resolved before the Election, which is what they want. They have turned their backs on all negotiiations, which what they always deny.

September 20, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Does this mean "somebody else will build it", the platform?

September 20, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. Emma in Baltimore

I wish they'd help each other out to accomplish goals all the time. Why does one party have to have superiority over the other party anyway? Why can't it be that the two ideologies have their places, and the two sides need to work together to figure out what's best for the country as a whole? What's more important: building up the country or tearing the other side down?

September 20, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. Squigman

Here's the man responsible for the deadlock in Washington. If ever there was a person needing ejected from office, he's the one. And while were at it, lets eject a few more republicans from the House. They've done nothing since attaining office, they have the worst record of any congress in history, and they were elected by a mere 13% of the voters. They need to go. The sooner the better.

September 20, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. Denver

The worse thing that can happen is "bipartisanship". If all those hammerheads ever got on the same page our, lives liberty and sacred honor would be lost forever.

September 20, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. gr8 usa

It looks like neither one of them has ever held a hammer before. I guess we know who didn't build that!

September 20, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  10. nc_mike

Picture caption: Bohner nails Pelosi

September 20, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. Donaize

Whoever gets elected this year, let's keep it financially simple as the country is in a fiscal mess – being decadent and ornate to show that "I've won" (don't care if it is Romney or Obama) needs to go away – stop all the partying and start doing the country's business – period.

September 20, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Say What

Let me get this straight. They are starting the platform used in the inauguration in September and the inauguration isn't until January? That's like 5 months. Oh, I get it. They must be using UNION labor!

September 20, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. just sayin

still nothing compared to the hammering the democrats will be taking in november. we've been waiting since 2010 to complete the job.

September 20, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. Sniffit

Well, as I keep saying, the only tool the GOP/Teatrolls have is a hammer, so everything looks like a nail. Finally, they've found a place where it's actually appropriate to use one. I suppose we can file tis under "even broken clocks are right twice a day."

September 20, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Malory Archer

nc_mike

Picture caption: Bohner nails Pelosi

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the visual mike! Please excuse me while I go gouge out my mind's eye.

September 20, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  16. Nick-o

I'm suprised Boehner's hammer wasn't three feet long, hey yo!

And OMG, what kind of face was Pelosi making?....Her "O" face....hey Yo!

September 20, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. Lars

Swing for her knuckles Boehner. Only in DC does it take three months to build a platform.

September 20, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. TheVoice2

Looks like Boehner is trying to keep his job since Obama is getting a second term. They tried to destroy our President the last four years. The next four years the GOP is going be kissing some serious Obama you know what.

September 20, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Bill from GA

Say, shouldn't they be wearing hardhats for this job??

If for no other reason, it would make them look even more ridiculous. If that's possible.

Actually I'm surprised they are still in Washington. What's it been, 2 weeks already??

September 20, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  20. Reynald

Nice picture! This probably would not happen if after a party wins.

September 20, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  21. Joan in MS

We were promised JOBS two years ago by the GOP/TP. They voted on everything else under the sun but jobs. Enough already! THROW THE WHOLE WORTHLESS BUNCH OUT!!

September 20, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  22. ChowderKeg

Sssshhh Boehner will hear those comments and start balling!

September 20, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. Silence DoGood

After all the staged drama between the RNC and DNC, you know they laugh at us behind closed doors right?
    Romney: Hey tomorrow I want you to call me a money-driven kook.
    Obama: Oh, oh, and you call me a socialist. Maybe the people out there will see through it – too much??
    Both: ha ha ha ha ha ha

Vote Green

September 20, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  24. truth hurts

Lars - Only in DC does it take three months to build a platform.
    ================================================

It's a union job.

September 20, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. Wilson

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. We, here in America need to learn from that.

September 20, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |