September 24th, 2012

Obama, Romney continue argument started on '60 Minutes'

Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney traded shots in high-profile interviews with Romney saying Obama hasn't supported Israel strongly enough and Obama asking if Romney was trying to start a war in the region.

Romney said in a "60 Minutes" interview on CBS that aired on Sunday that Obama was making a "mistake" by not meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during this week's meeting of the United Nations General Assembly.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Iran • Israel • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. edog

Every time Mitt talks, the only thing I hear is, I will only release 2 years of my tax returns. Until we see 10 years, I will not listen to anything Romney has to say.

September 24, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

Willard's foreign policy is war with no end in sight. He had no intentions on bringing our troops home from Iraq. He consistently provokes war stances rather than diplomacy. Russia is NOT our biggest geopolitical foe. President Obama has not thrown Israel under the bus as Willard consistently suggest. Ehud Barak has said President Obama has taken a more aggressive stance than any of his predecessors on Israel's security. Facts are facts! How does willard explain Stuxnet? We are not sitting on our hands as far as it goes to Iran's nuclear capability.

September 24, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  3. rosco

All i saw on 60 minutes last night was Mr Obama still not accepting any resposability. He pretty much did his normal interview and blamed everyone but himself for the condition of the economy. Mr Romney i thought had some good ideas to enhance Americas future

September 24, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. The REAL Truth...

I started listening to Mitt on 60 min last night to see if there was anything of substance to be gleaned. I switched over after 5 min because I heard the same ole "trust me, we'll fix it" and his constant blame-Obama game. Zzzzzzzzz

September 24, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Romney's talks about foreign policy like a "Christmas" gift all wrapped up in a cute little package, maybe from where he and his five(5) sons sit, it might just appear that way to him.

September 24, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. rs

So what specific policy or diplomatic changes (beyond decalring Jerusalem Israel's Capital- how do they feel about that, BTW), does Mr. Romney actually have that he would like implemented? "Hasn't supported Israel strongly enough", is, like every other Romney whine, isn't specific or actionable enough to mean anything (except that once again, Mr. Romney is demonstrating that he knows nothing of which he speaks).

September 24, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. Brian

Romney seems pretty adamant about Israel. It's curious that he didn't really project a stance on Israel until Sheldon Adelson started pumping money into his campaign. Romney just placates to his campaign's purse strings. He treats his campaign like a business, with his board of directors being his largest campaign donors. So if he wins the election, his board of directors becomes our true leadership. In essence, we'll be the corporate state that people like Romney have always dreamed of. Is that what the voters truly want, or need?

September 24, 2012 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

any pressure that I feel is simply to do what's right for the American people, and I am going to block out any noise that's out there," Obama said.
    -------------------------------------------------
    THE PRESIDENT of the United States has spoken.
    The one that attends ALL of the foreign policy briefings.
    Robmey needs to shut up, sit down, not move, and stop sounding like a rabble-rousing nincompoop.
    Obama 2012. Period.

September 24, 2012 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Did President Obama just aptly describe Robmey Mittens as "noise"?!
    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good one Mr. President!

September 24, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  10. Larry in Houston

saw the whole interview on 60 minutes last night. Romney talks like he doesn't make any sense, and his math don't add up in most of his interview, when he talks the numbers game. Romney may be a nice guy, nice family guy, nice family, has nice 5 boys & the whole 9 yards, but why in the world does he want a 400K a yr. Job that comes with big headaches ? If you ask anybody that very same question, they would tell you that IF they were a billionaire and tons of money coming in every day, they would also tell you that they would buy an island, or a 250 acre estate in florida, so your wife could buy the best million dollar horse in kentucky, and place it on your ranch in florida, and have your 5 boys living the life of luxury, with maids and cooks waiting for you, and all you have to do is snap your finger, and you will have people waiting for you, at your every whim. Bottom Line, I don't get it, why does he want a 400K a yr. Job, with al the headaches that comes with it ? I mean, he could live the life of most people only dream about.
    Vote Democrat – 2012

September 24, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  11. Dorce

I am Mitt Romney and I approve this message. There are 47% of people here in America that I am not concern about because they are unAmerican and pay no taxes. These 47% in fact are not American because they are poor and not successful like me because Americans are all successful people and we have no poor people among us that are refused to work and depend on government fot everything. These 47% of people think that the government owe them somthing. When I Mitt Romney become president will cut all their benefits and make them take responsibility and work even if they have have to go to China and work where I ship a lot of American to make big dollar for myself. My name is Mitt Romney and I am so successful and arrogant and if you are not successful in America it is your fault. I am Mitt Romney and I approve this message. My campaign is about 100% of American and this is the Romney way I flip and flop and I do not care about these 47% of these poor people and I talk them down with my rich friend and then I just need to say that my compaign is about the 100% and fool them stupid people. Haha! My firm just bought a factory in China. Heck America I do not do business here so I do not pay taxes but I want to be president so I can make the Bush tax cut for the rich permanent to protect my money. Do you here me? The Bush tax cut permanent. I am Mitt Romney and I approve this message.

September 24, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  12. Anonymous

"That's not the campaign, that was me, right?" Romney said. "I've got a very effective campaign. It's doing a very good job. But not everything I say is elegant. And I want to make it very clear, I want to help 100 percent of the American people."

I seriously doubt Romney gives a hoot about America or his support base. Got to give him credit, though ... he's 100% sure he can BS his way into the White House.

September 24, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. truth hurts

Obama asking if Romney was trying to start a war in the region.
    ===============================================
    WOW!!! Did Obama forget about the war in Syria that he helped start, and now sits and watches as thousands die?!!

And Obama has stated that Iran will not be allowed to have nuclear weapons, pretty much saying we'll go to war to stop it.

And he accuses others??? Obama is a snake.

September 24, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

"So if Governor Romney is suggesting that we start another war, he should say so
    -------------------------------------------------
    BAM!
    Oh hell yes!!
    Way to flip the script on him Mr. President!
    Bring on the debates, let's nail Robmey's flip-flopping coffin shut tight.
    Let's see Robmey Etch-a-Sketch, "equivocate", and basically try to lie his way out of that predicament.
    Obama 2012. America deserves the BEST.

September 24, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  15. Thomas

Romney / Netanyahu 2012

We worked together in the 70s as corporate advisors , just like old times .

September 24, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  16. PJ

MItt Romney is more concerned about Netanyahu than he is the American people. This drum beat is getting old.
    Mitt Romney is afraid to let the American people know that his tax rate for 2011 would actually have been between
    9-10% if he had taken all of the deductions allowed. But no, instead he manipulates his taxes, and will pick
    up the deductions when they file an amendment. He thinks we don't know that.
    What's my point? Romney will cater to Netanyahu while showing disdain for the people he wants to hire him.
    The American people.
    I'm still waiting for the promised 5 speeches that will be specific on his 5 points for recovery. I'm not, however,
    holding my breath. I like breathing.
    I'm seeing a bit of the "sleeze" factor developing.

September 24, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. rs

truth hurts- try reality.

September 24, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. truth hurts

rs - truth hurts- try reality.
    ===================

Live there every day. Don't run into any liberals though.

September 24, 2012 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. Four and The Door

Larry in Houston

... Bottom Line, I don't get it, why does he want a 400K a yr. Job, with al the headaches that comes with it ? I mean, he could live the life of most people only dream about.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________
    It's obviously not about the money, just like it was not about the money when he became Governor of MA or working for the Olympics. And as Governor of MA you can see he did not take the job to help only the wealthy. He helped the 100% in Massachusetts just like he will help the 100% as President. No tricks. No smoke and no mirrors. Just a guy stepping up to serve his nation because he knows he can do the best job. Romney/ Ryan 2012.

September 24, 2012 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  20. CBR

The President is not meeting with any foreign leaders this week. After all that Mr. Netanyahu has said it is best to have a cooling off period. Even some of us who are strong supporters of Israel and her right to exist are exasperated by Mr. Netanyahu. Since his election he has made his own path. His not so tacit approval of Mr. Romney was interesting. Was this a nod to those millionaires who choose to live in Israel and hold dual citizenship? Was that a move to get us behind Mr. Romney.

Diplomacy is not a one-way street. Nothing will be solved unless all sides agree to changes and new ideas. Secretary of State Clinton has worked tirelessly in the Middle East and around the world. She has not rested at all. She wants peace int eh Middle East. She wants all sides to come to the table and negotiate new agreements. Meeting with only one side would disrupt not enhance the process.

September 24, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  21. Joseph Sabas

Mitt Romney, How can he be that educated, that experienced n that successful and still be that dumb?! I find it extremely difficult to understand! He has got more chances of winning if he keeps his mouth shut!!

September 24, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. ST

September 24, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |

@Larry in Houston

Romney may be a nice guy, nice family guy, nice family, has nice 5 boys & the whole 9 yards, but why in the world does he want a 400K a yr. Job that comes with big headaches?
    ----
    Here is the answer: Romney may forfeit his salary(in case he becomes president), because he is not hungry of money. He will not help the poor because he declared he doesn't care. The main reason he wants to be president is all about PRESTIGE and being entered on history books. At the same he wants to help those (the rich) who are helping him now to reach there.

September 24, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. rs

truth hurts-
    Please explain how the "Arab Sping" is in any way the doing of, or responsibilty of Mr. Obama, or how a pro-democracy movement is bad from the point of view of Amerca. Meanwhile name one revolution ever started against dictators that didn' lead to the loss of life. r. ush's war in Iraq lead to the deaths of well over 100,000 innocents and the creation of 2 million refugees.

September 24, 2012 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. rs

Joseph Sabas- he is just like many other MBAs. Knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

September 24, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  25. BostonianNTheWoodlandsTX

Conservatives on one side of their mouth : " What about the kids / What about my kids, my grandkids,their grandkids ? We're spending money we don't have. Our deficit is too high ! "

Conservatives on other side of their mouth : " We don't have any money and Bush borrowed from China to fight in Iraq,but lets go jump into a conflict between Israel and Iran with NO MONEY ! "

Do any of you saber rattlers hear yourselves ?

We're broke,but lets back another conflict against Iran NO MATTER WHAT.

Conservatives are a joke.

September 24, 2012 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |