McCaskill hits Akin on rape comments in ad
September 25th, 2012

McCaskill hits Akin on rape comments in ad

(CNN) – Sen. Claire McCaskill is using her rival Todd Akin's comments on "legitimate rape" in a new television ad, part of a statewide buy in Missouri for the incumbent Democrat.

The ad frames Akin as out of touch with Missouri voters, also hitting the Republican congressman for his stance on social security, Medicare, the minimum wage and student loans.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

But it's Akin's comments on rape, which came in August and caused an uproar from Republicans and Democrats alike, that provide the ad its ammunition.

"On August 19, Todd Akin said only some rapes are legitimate," a narrator in the ad says. "What will he say next?"

Akin won a surprise victory last month in a crowded GOP primary, coming from behind in the polls to secure the Republican nomination. Less than two weeks later, he made the now infamous argument that a woman is biologically capable of blocking "legitimate rape."

"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," he said. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

The remark soon caused public outrage and completely shook his candidacy. Top Republican leaders, including Mitt Romney, were calling for Akin to drop out within days.

Yet Akin declared he was staying in the race, a decision he reiterated Tuesday, the deadline for the congressman to withdraw his candidacy without difficulty.

"The last number of weeks, a number of people have asked me: 'Are you quitting, are you dropping out?'" Akin said at an event in St. Louis. "I don't believe that that is really my decision. The decision was made by the voters of the state of Missouri."

CNN's Ashley Killough and Kevin Bohn contributed to this report.

Filed under: Claire McCaskill • Missouri • Senate
  1. Thomas

Todd Akin's

When a person with such ignarance can be elected to govern , you have to ask what the hell happened to our education system .

September 25, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  2. popseal

Clearly this is one of the most misappropriated, misinterpreted, misapplied statements I've ever seen. The headline leads readers to think the guy is endorsing rape. Not even an unconscionable reprobate like Bill Clinton would think such a thin........wait, let me come up with somebody else...Jesse Jackso....wait, give me a second.....Ted Kenned....damn, give me a moment here. Oh well, I admit there are people in public life that are such nihilistic, self involved scum sacks that I must retire from the argument...........

September 25, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  3. ufadoof

Akin represents the average republican.

September 25, 2012 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. Ram Riva

it is truly amazing how corrupt and radical the GOPTeaparty has become......they're against women, minorities and everyone else that does not reflect on them.....this phrase is for the all time hall of shame...i pray to God that this politician does not have a daughter or any women in his family that goes trough the horror of a "legitimate rape".....piece of scum that's what he is...

September 25, 2012 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  5. rs

Akin is what is wrong with the Republican Party- the insane are running the asylum, and the asylum doesn't care- in fact, they are encouraging it.

September 25, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  6. Mitt Romney

I totally agree with this guy. He's a real visionary. Sometimes, I've told Ann the same thing.

September 25, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  7. Larry in Houston

Claire – U Go Girl !! Wish I could Vote in Your State , I would give you every Vote I could get for ya !
    Hope you take back congress !! so we can get the majority !!
    Vote Democrat – 2012 ( Straight Ticket ) ( for the "working" middle class )

September 25, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  8. Valar Morghulis

Claire goes for the knock out blow.

September 25, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. Bob

Sorry, Akin, I only for vote legitimate candidates.

September 26, 2012 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  10. J.V.Hodgson

Rape is a crime QED can never be legitimate, stop confusing ( or trying to sexual harrassment and sexual assualts with rape.
    In terms of a woman can shut down the procreation system etc arrant rubbish.
    Both of those being a representation of his morals and intelligence, would sensure I could not send that person to any elected Office by voting for such a crass immoral, obvious idiot!
    Regards,
    Hodgson

September 26, 2012 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  11. John Oboho

But isn't that Akin "legitimate rape" comment part of the Republican platform?The Republicans are anti abortion no matter the circumstance that led to conception.

September 26, 2012 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  12. An Observer

Akin just expressed the views of the republican party and its candidates. Why would any sane person vote for any repubican?

September 26, 2012 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  13. Are you kidding me?

Akin is a disgrace. As a father I am disgusted by his statement and the mindset of the radical GOP. Time for the radicals to be shown the door.

September 26, 2012 07:40 am at 7:40 am |