September 25th, 2012

Romney makes Clinton joke–in front of Clinton

(CNN) - Mitt Romney cracked wise about former President Bill Clinton Tuesday, seconds after the 42nd president introduced the Republican nominee at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York City.

"Thank you, Mr. President. I appreciate the kind words and your invitation here today. If there's one thing we've learned this election season, it's that a few words from Bill Clinton can do any man a lot of good," Romney said, drawing laughs.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

His quip likely refers to a couple Clinton comments during this campaign year. On CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" in May, Clinton referred to Romney as having had a "sterling business career," a comment capitalized on by the Republican's campaign.

More often his words have been used to boost the current president. Clinton, a top surrogate for Obama, gave a widely-praised speech at the Democratic National Convention earlier this month, spending 48 minutes making the case for a second term for President Barack Obama.

In fact, more viewers of the DNC considered Clinton to be the highlight of the weeklong event, rather than Obama, according to a recent Pew Research Center poll. Some political analysts credited the president's mild post-convention bounce in the polls to Clinton's rousing speech.

Romney, however, poked fun at the Clinton factor while kicking off his foreign policy speech Tuesday.

"After that introduction, I guess all I have to do is wait a day or two for the bounce," Romney said, drawing laughs.

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Clinton • Mitt Romney
  1. ABCorrection

If I don't know any better, I'd think the "CNN Political Unit" writers were trying to spin this as Romney dissing Clinton. For anyone who actually listened to the speech (I did), it was completely the opposite. Romney was actually giving Clinton credit. The more substantive part of this article, however, should have to been to highlight the extremely specific and new details that Romney put forward in this speech about foreign aid and foreign policy. Go back and listen to it. You may not agree with all the man's policies, but he put forward some great ideas I thought.

September 25, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. ALKP

I am voting against Romney yet not for Obama. And I just can't stand Romney. He is beyond FAKE.

September 25, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Why not show the whole clip?

September 25, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. mike

Romney is funny, and it ain't his jokes!

September 25, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Al

Big deal, although I dislike just about everything republican, this seems like a harmless if not complimentary remarked aimed at a past president. Am I missing something? i think we have enough real issues with Romney that we don't have to blow some ice-breaker comment out of proportion. Is there some aspect of Romney's comment I am overlooking?

September 25, 2012 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Chris

Is there a place this man wont campaign for himself? lol

September 25, 2012 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. Entertainment News

@Give it a rest.... Pres Clinton's Record is not running for re-election....Pres Obama "the Candidate" is...and now lost his "Ace Card' on foreign affairs...his affraid to meet One-on-One with foreign Leaders.....The choice for the next President is clear...
    __________________

Oh my goodness: Obama is apologizing and Obama is afraid. What a load of crap. Let's elect the guy with absolutely zero foreign policy experience who is running around the country doing the best he can to insult every country that comes to his aging mind that is displaying the fringes of Alzheimer's every time he forgets to remember not to support something today that he opposed yesterday.

It's not a game of cards, and you better be glad, because Romney is playing with an empty deck if it is. It's a game of smarts. Obama is smart enough not to meet with any foreign leaders this close to the election. I'm guessing he doesn't want to get accused by Romney that he chose to meet with the leader of _____________ (insert country name here) versus ___________ (insert country name here). And Obama is right, of course.

September 25, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. ChristopherM

I guess money really can't buy you class.

September 25, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. Jack

OK. Obama 2012. H. Cllinton 2016 & 2020. A.Cuomo 2024 & 2028. Sorry GOP.

September 25, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. Bob, San Jose

The fact that no former GOP presidents are stepping forward to support Romney isn't too surprising – the last thing the Republicans want is to remind the American people about Dubya. And if they invited Bush Sr. and not Jr., that would accentuate the problem.

September 25, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. WASP

well i can see romney's numbers slipping while i watch. taking a jab at a former president that truly helped americans..........bye romney.

hello four more years. :)

September 25, 2012 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. Polar Bear

When's Romney's campaign going to start? So much to work with but I'm seeing nothing. Obama is such an utter failure this should be easy! Time to put some bite in the message.

September 25, 2012 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. nomorekoolaid

Wow, it is just amazing to watch a bunch of you come in here and bash Romney on foreign policy. Meanwhile, Obama has no clue how to (best case) or doesn't care (worst case) about dealing with foreign leaders to improve our security and that of our allies. Boy do you have your blinders on. My guess is that most of our allies are a heck of a lot more impressed with Romney's positions, and our enemies more intimidated by them, than anything Obama has ever said or done. If only that Nobel Peace Prize a week after the inauguration could do all the talking for Barack.....

September 25, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. julie

@Jack..............H.Clinton til 2024 she as to do her 8 yrs too....then cuomo in 2024...GOP take a hike

OBAMA 2012

September 25, 2012 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. VA VERY Ex Republican

To Middle Class GOP and Tea party voters, did you watch 60 minutes???? did you hear Romney whe he said that the 50 million American who did not have health insurance before are taken care off???? did you hear him say that if they have a heart attack they go to emergency room and they get treated. did he say what happens after they get treated???? did he say who was going to cover the bill???? and are you only taken care off when you have a heart attack??? what about cancer, or a broken leg or sever pain???? what does Mr. Romney have to say about those people??? let them die or ldeal with the sever pain???? what happed to us people??? we used to be the greatest nation on earth. please be honest with yourselves and stand in front of a mirror and ask yourselves the question, are we truly still the greatest nation on earth from a moral perspective???? Idoubt the answer is yes.

September 25, 2012 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  16. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

I thought it was funny. I think that the fact that Mitt thinks he'll be President is funnier, but...

Lighten up a bit folks.

September 25, 2012 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. Squigman

Look at me. Look at me. Look at me. Apparently, Mitt was ignored as a child. Today he's making up for this by making sure the American people, are driven to the point of gagging by his constant desire for spotlight time.

September 25, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  18. Trey

Wow CNN. Nice headline and nice try to blow up Romney's statement. I am not voting for Romney but this is as bad as Faux News being in the can for him. I am done with CNN...

September 25, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. 4Godsakes

Well Romney will not be at the Clinton Global initiative next year, because on eof the general rules for speaking at this initiative any committment one makes in their speak and does not keep, ROMNEY WILL "NOT" be allow to return.

September 25, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  20. CryBabies

@ NameDoug....I'm confused, what does "Presidential" look like?

September 25, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  21. Facts don't Lie

In the words of his wife Ann "STOP IT!" and I would add PLEASE STOP IT!!

September 25, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Romney is not My Hero

Watching Mr. Plastic try to walk and talk like a real person is hilarious. The fact that he thinks he's a real candidate is even funnier. Good-bye Romney – You're done!!!

OBAMA 2012!!

September 25, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  23. mpouxesas

Obama 2012. Romney 1040.

September 25, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  24. Chris

I think the main point of this article is that Romney will find ANY chance to pitch his campaign. Its sad, really sad

September 25, 2012 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  25. Wilson

I see a lot of lefties dogging folks that watch fox news. I look at many news sources and the lefty comments don't hold water, for the most part. So I guess they are dogged by the left out of jealousy because they will say the truth that others won't say. But I notice that the news from other countries, i.e. england, germay and russia, tend to match fox more than, oh say, MSNBC or even CNN.

September 25, 2012 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |