September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Bill

He will have plenty of time to go hunting after he loses his House seat. Go Rob Zerban!!

September 25, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. GI Joe

He'll be home the next few years to take her swimming, hunting, fishing - 24/7.

He's out in 2012.

Obama/Biden 2012 voting early in 7 days

September 25, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Gurgyl

This is EXACYLY this idiot needs to do his rest of years. Yes, on Obama12.

September 25, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Mr. Ryan needs to make sure "deer" is all he's hunting because we're watching everything very closely. Never again, never again.

September 25, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

Gotta love it when the candidates bring out their daughters to impress the hunting folks. Neither my dad nor I hunted, but he did teach me to shoot trap and skeet at a very young age. My nieces do hunt with their dad's, though. Quite common here in the upper mid-West for girls to learn gun safety at a young age.

September 25, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. freidamurray

So sweet.

September 25, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. cali girl

Yeah, go out there and kill little Bambi's mother. Are you not a personhood guy?

September 25, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. Gurgyl

Please do not vote for any republican to any office. They are the "thugs".

September 25, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. Ruth/Columbus

Mr. Ryan should take her to see the movie "Bambie" before he teaches her the joy of killing. So sad.

September 25, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  10. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

I hope she never wants to use contraceptives. Daddy will say no!

September 25, 2012 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  11. Sorensen

Guns to a 10 year old? What an idiot. Thanks IRA.

September 25, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. Karl Rover

I wouldn't trust a 10-year old with a butcher knife much less a rifle. I hope she shoots him on the hunting trip. While most parents are taking their kids to the zoo to pet and love animals, Ryan teaches his to shoot them with a bow and watch them slowly die.

September 25, 2012 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  13. wgf

Arming 4th graders. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this ?

September 25, 2012 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Wednesday November 7th, 2012 looks wide open.

I'm not sure why this is in the Ticker besides the silly jab at.....oh, ok.

September 25, 2012 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  15. Karl Rover

I know what gun lovers and hunters are going to say. "If you really love that deer and know what's best for it, you'd shoot it to death with a gun." But that's the same argument Republicans use for Palestinians and Arabs.

September 25, 2012 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  16. Connie in Tennessee

Appealing to the Rednecks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 25, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  17. once upon a horse

I am guessing that unlike some other kids Ryan's had no problem when Bambi's mother was killed. They probably wanted to have Bambi's antlers on the wall as well.

September 25, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. once upon a horse

one thing is for sure Republicans are very good at KILLING things......job and infrastructure bills come to mind.

September 25, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  19. Lynda/Minnesota

@Dominican mama 4 Obama
    I'm not sure why this is in the Ticker besides the silly jab at.....oh, ok.
    ----------------

Yep. Ryan once again trying to prove he's a good little Catholic ... and not the Russian Atheist Ayn Rand lover we all know him to be.

September 25, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. Sniffit

"Arming 4th graders. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this ?"

Nope. The GOP armed the Talibanin the 1980s and that turned out just fine. I see no reason one of them can't arm his daughter and teach her to be a good, responsible, christian conservative jihadi...I mean citizen....

September 25, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Sniffit

BTW, anyone who shoots an animal should have to do the filed dressing THEMSELF. Is he teaching her that too?

September 25, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. gop usa

Ryan,the tea party,and the New repub party that worship Romney all need to jump off a short pier.....I was a life long repub until the tea party and extreme right wing took over.....Until the repub party returns honorable again I will vote against them....

September 25, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. Dominican mama 4 Obama

So... If Romney and Ryan were to be elected:
    Ryan's daughter can have an accident and kill somebody BUT
    Ryan's daughter cannot have an accident and kill somebody.

September 25, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Luke Brown

In June I went to the funeral of my buddy's 11-year-old son who was accidentally shot with his own rifle.

Sorry, if I am not moved by this lovely manufactured daddy-daughter event.

September 25, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  25. Lynda/Minnesota

Sniffit

---------

If you watch Ryan, he can't keep still for more than 2 seconds at a time. I seriously doubt either of them will be shooting at anything except maybe HIS ego.

September 25, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |