September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Sue

Sid Stewart
    "Ryan is against all abortions..." and this is compared to hunting?? what a stupid comparison; so we can't eat meat and the environmental wackos want to protect the plants; so we all starve to death!! God gave man the animals of the earth for food and they should be used as such; I can't believe that hunting was compared to abortions; wow-how liberal can you get?? a post like that comes from someone who does not believe in God and that the Bible is God's Word
    I agree, that was overboard. I am a Democrat who loves the good Lord. God did give us the animals but I doubt that He wanted them to suffer. I have heard horrific stories of animals being shot and then run off. The fact that these killers get such JOY out of killing is sickening. I don't feel any of our Father's creatures should suffer, do you??? Besides, I can see if someone was really hungry and that is the only way to get food. But a rich person killing for the joy of it? Cmon' No wonder God is not so fond of rich people. "It is easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to get into heaven."

September 26, 2012 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. AlaskanHunter

WOW. "No one hunts for food"? Really? "Putting guns in the hands of 10/y/o is wrong?" Maybe for YOUR offspring, for the sole reason that you have no understanding of responsibility and gun ownership. You probably SHOULDN'T EVER own a firearm. And yes, I hunt and kill for food. I eat everything I kill. And it's far more healthy than the meat you urbanites buy in the store. I don't rely on other people, including the "gubment" for life's necessities. You people are so weak. It shames the rest of the human race.

September 26, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  3. Peggy - TX

I have a 9 year old and she is a figure skater, at the rink we see little girls playing hockey as well as figure skating. What I noticed is that the little girls that play hockey seem enjoy it and also seem to be trying to please their fathers, where as the fathers of the little figure skaters seem more interested in pleasing their little girls. My guess is that while it is a good thing for a father to involve his daughter in his own personal recreation activities, it would even better if he got involved in her recreation that she is truly interested in. He may want to try flying a kite with her, that too is fun too Also, admittedly, there is nothing more bonding for a father daughter then to have a ten year old hang out with a bunch of drunk guys playing cards, hide in a blind and then kill Bambi's mom. I suggest that he make sure she is well looked after … being so small and wearing camouflaged, she could easy be mistaken as prey by anther drunk guy with a rife.

September 26, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  4. Julia

Do they need the meat to keep them from going hungry? So what do they do if she shoots a deer, if you're not going to eat it don't hunt it.

September 26, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  5. biglio

And this is why no one trusts America anymore! I cannot see any civilized country's father doing this, maybe Afghanistan, maybe Yemen, guess those are the role models for the US now......sad, just very sad (even sadder are the comments).

September 26, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. sifto

comparing killing animals to killing babies? what has this USA come to? i am assuming all the libs on her are vegetarians?

September 26, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

r

I would like to see this wealthy young politician get his kids dressed and trained to serve in the U.S. Armed forces, rather than sending the 47% young men and women going to another country in the middle east of the GOP's choice once again in their plans to take the White House back. Always so patriotic offering our middle class citizens more jobs in the military, and a war to assure them, while their stocks on Wall Street go up higher, and they go to Dover A.F.B. to welcome their remains. I do not recall any Washington, D.C. politician's sons or daughters paying the ultimate price (nor would I want them to). Nor have I seen a politician step down to serve in the active duty force – it is always the reserves or national guard. In his case taking a check from us as a paid politician is the best he can do. Do I need to ask why? Ryan has nothing to offer
    -------------------------------------------------
    Excellent post r.
    May I add that Palin's son is/was serving as well as Joe Biden's son. The difference, however, as you pointed out lies in one word "WEALTHY". Sarah (bless her stupid heart) and Joe are AVERAGE Americans NOT wealthy. Their children,therefore, have been offered up but Romney's 5 bucks? Not a freaking chance even though their father is all gung-ho for putting our children in the line of fire.
    And you're correct with all due respect to the National Guard or the Reserves it's just NOT the same.
    Obama 2012.

September 26, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  8. Flint Rock

Why not surprise her on her 11th birthday with an AK-47?
    What pandering! Does he think gun proponents would vote for him every time
    he buys his daughter a gun. He must think gun-owners are really stupid.

September 26, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. AlaskanHunter

Well, WILL...I think anyone that doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to kill their own food is a simpering weakling and has something very wrong with THEM. Too weak to take care of yourself, huh?

September 26, 2012 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  10. mike

I can't wait for my daughter to turn ten so we can go cause a lot of needless suffering together. She is only four so this Christmas it's just a switchblade for her.

September 26, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  11. AlaskanHunter

Hey Chris, it seems they all huddle together in urban centers, waiting for the government to assist in their every need....

September 26, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  12. Gandalf the White

I don't think Ryan's daughter needs to hunt for food. So sad that it's considered fun to kill God's creatures for sport, but then in the next moment, life is sacred.

September 26, 2012 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  13. sree

What is wrong with this man? A gun for a 10 year old?? Can't understand his judgement.

September 26, 2012 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  14. LegalizeReason

I just hope that his handlers don't make Ryan have the kid stand next to him in her hunting suit at his next his next event, which I understand is being held at a self serve carwash where he can show America that he is just another bootstrap success story who has a weakness for overmassaging the extreme outer limits of facts and truth.

September 26, 2012 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  15. Hawke

Oh absolutely Ryan. Best thing to teach your ten year old is to kill helpless animals. Way to go. On the other hand, I'm sure your family needs the meat. I'm glad your daughter is learning to use a gun safely and responsibly though. I just wish she'd confine her shooting to the target range and competitions.

September 26, 2012 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  16. AlaskanHunter

HippiePower69, unfortunately you weren't raised in a manner which would allow you to understand hunting and the great memories it leaves behind. My kids have hunted with me since they were still in diapers. They learned self-control by learning to be quiet. They learned how to sit quietly in the woods and "listen to the woods". Walking and talking in the woods is worlds away from becoming part OF the woods.Even predators have a place in the world. I continue to respect your upbringing, but I cannot imagine fondly remembering dining with my father in a noisy resturant, when my favorite memories are sitting on a stump on a frosty morning at my fathers side, listening to the woods wake up around me.

September 26, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. Michael A

How shocking, the anti-hunters have come out in droves!! Hunters are self sufficient and will not have to rely on the government to feed us once the eco-terrorist force food prices beyond the reach of the commoner. You pro-ethanol terrorist are this country’s worst enemy! Keep crying about hunting being cruel and shouldn't be taught to children!! We'll be enjoying a nice venison roast while you folks are standing in a government run food kitchen!

September 26, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  18. chris

That liberals disapprove of this is only natural..anything that actually promotes family values is unacceptable to liberals. If you haven't been hunting and don't know what is involved you should not be talking about it. This is one of the best ways to bond with your kids. You'd think liberals who are such environmentalists would understand a little more about nature.

September 26, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  19. Indie in VA

Being an avid outdoorsman and hunter myself, I'm glad that Ryan is keen on teaching his kids the same, but–at ten years old? That's just not cognitively developed enough to safely handle a hunt. Fourteen is a good age–where I grew up, that was the age when most of us were given our first gun and taught to use it. But ten?

Ah, well, I suppose it can't be much more dangerous to hunt with the VP candidate's ten-year-old daughter than it is to hunt with the former VP himself.

September 26, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  20. Leeford

Teaching our children the responsibility of gun ownership and teaching our children how to provide for themselves(hunting, fishing, farming, etc..) are exremely valueable skilsl that have sadly been neglected over the past couple generation. I applaud Ryan for his gifts and teachings to his daughter. And this is coming from a Liberal who will be voting for Obama.

September 26, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  21. AlaskanHunter

And lastly, although I am considered well off, I still prefer to eat wild game. Money is not a factor.

September 26, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  22. Catherine

I'm from Wisconsin. I've hunted with my father and his friends. In my opinion, no 10 yr old should be out there hunting. Yes, start teaching how to hunt and gun safety, but 10 yr olds really don't stop to think what repercussions their actions can have. They cannot be held negligent if they accidently shoot someone. Not to mention all the adult idiots out there that shoots anything that moves. Wonder how Ryan would feel if one of those idiots shoots his daughter or she shoots someone.

September 26, 2012 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  23. Sniffit

"Now folks just think how safe she will be on a date! Who would dare to treat daddys little girl badly!"

Ha...after finding out he was her dad, I'd probably "lose her phone number." Sitcoms taught me that the in-laws are supposed to despise the son-in-law, not vice versa haha

September 26, 2012 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  24. Liberatus

Oh my gosh, how sweet! Daddy is teaching his 10 year old how to use a rifle and kill animals. I am definitely voting for him now.... Not only is he a supporter of the NRA, but he thinks his daughter should have the same right to use a gun as a boy! So cool.

Gee–he will surely win the hunters' votes now. And I'm sure women everywhere are now so impressed they will vote for him, too.

September 26, 2012 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  25. Anonymous

extremely sad, american love affair with guns and violence...

September 26, 2012 10:11 am at 10:11 am |