September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Paul

My mom got her first deer at the age of sixteen. Still one of her favorite stories to tell about time spent with her dad.

September 26, 2012 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  2. Sandy

Ted van Tol

Wfe should teach our children to love and be respectful to animals and nature.The seccond amandment is a part of
    the American history. No one is hunting just for food. Hunting is a way to tell children to violate animals and guns are not the guns that where ment in this amendment. Hunting sometimes in needed for the balance in nature but must never be for pleasire.
    _______________

I totally agree. Killing animals for sport or fun is disgusting!

September 26, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. Steve

I live in Wisconsin. I don't hunt. I will not be voting for Paul Ryan. I do work in the inner city and on violence related issue. Equating hunting to urban gun violence is ignorant. They are unrelated.

Kids hunt all the time in Wisconsin without serious incident. Ryan's daugher will do the same.

The DNR recommends 100% blaze orange on all cothing, including hats during deer hunting. It requires 50% blaze orange. Ryan can affordto outfit his daugher better than he seesm to be in the picture. Set a better example, Paul.

September 26, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

I grew up and still live in Western New York. Hunting is something that people do throughout the country, and it does prevent populations of deer and other animals from exploding and/or starving. This is part of the lifestyle of thousands of people across the country, and, in the absence of large predators, this is the only way to maintain a healthy population of species. Besides, even if you factor in the cost of a hunting license and the the cost of having the animal butchered, it saves a lot of money for families if they take their own meat. My son and I both shoot, and I intend to teach my daughter as well. By the way, I'm a Democrat and a staunch environmentalist as well: this is simply responsible fish and game management.

September 26, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  5. enuff

So what? This has to do with pollicies for the country in what way? A father spends time with his daughter... now there's news...

September 26, 2012 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. Dave

Of course he did. There are FAR too many Deer in Washington DC. If her aim is really good she'll bag the entire Republicant half of Congress.

September 26, 2012 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. KGH

Good grief ... giving 10 year old children rifles? This seems crazy on so many levels! What is the matter with people??

September 26, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. Cotton

There certainly are a lot of crazy comments on this story. To address a few:

1. Meat obtained by hunting is guaranteed to truly be organic. After all, the animal hasn't been penned up and fed antibiotics and various other things. It is much healthier than what you buy in the grocery store.

2. Hunting deer is very challenging, and there is no guarantee you'll come home with meat.

3. Comparing hunting to abortion is ludicrous. Hunting sometimes results in the death of a wild animal that is a food source for humanity. Abortion results in the death of a human being who exists through not fault of his/her own.

4. The Bible contains no prohibitions against hunting. Genesis 1 clearly shows that God put mankind in authority over all animals.

September 26, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. NickAnast

The way things are going, it appears that Ryan will have plenty of time to take his daughter hunting come January. It's rare that someone loses two elections in one night, but Ryan just might pull that off this year.

September 26, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. Renee

This is disturbing, and even more disturbing that it is on the front page of today's CNN news link. What is happening to us, and to America.

September 26, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. Julie

Learning to hunt properly teaches firearms responsibility, patience and respect for nature. It is far better for the environment than raising meat in slaughterhouses and is generally more humane, controls herbivore populations in the absence of natural predators, and the meat is grass-fed, organic and lean. While being a sportsman is generally cast as redneck by the urban population, done responsibly there is nothing wrong with hunting. I don't agree with Romney and Ryan on many (okay, most) issues, but one thing Ryan does seem to deserve credit for is respectability. If he wants to teach his daughter to hunt I say power to him.

September 26, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  12. SDG66

"Hi, my name is Lyin' Ryan and besides lying, I love to kill animals."

September 26, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. JMarie

This country is so PC, its ridiculous. What is the hype about? He is shopping at a public store, not holding a press conference. The hunting season has started in the Midwest and is pretty typical for any hunter to stop at an outdoor store to get their supplies for the season.

Food pantries do benefit from harvesting wild game. Our family donates to a local pantry (venison, turkey). Wild game is organic, you would think the uber-liberal American could appreciate that. Look at Whole Foods, you will find venison.

Children learning firearm safety is important. It takes the curiosity away. Not much different than teaching a teenager to drive, they learn to respect the automobile and how to use properly. The kids you should worry about are the ones who find a random gun in their house and try to use it. That is when accidents happen because 1.) they are curious and treat it like a toy and 2.) the weapon is either loaded and/or not secured with a trigger lock.

I don't understand why the uber-left is not understanding to the differences of others? If you don't share their same beliefs and convictions, its all wrong. In fact, you are more shallow and close-minded than you think.

September 26, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. TY

This is all for show........there is nothing wrong with hunting my father hunted all the time. But there is something wrong with this picture. When was the last time Lyin Ryan went hunting ? He doing this for a few more votes, What a...........................

September 26, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  15. wrencher

Ted van Tol

--------------

You couldn't be more wrong. I know a lot of people that hunt not only for the sport of it but the food goes in the freezer and saves them a lot of money through the year. If they don't want the meat they give it to homeless shelters. Do some investigating before you spew your drivel.

September 26, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. kottmyer

Ryan bought his 10-year-old daughter a gun last year for Christmas. When I was 10, my dad bought me a telescope and a book about astronomy. I've had a love of astronomy, math, and science ever since.

My dad wins.

September 26, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  17. mike electrician

As a VP nominee, I would think he would be getting her Hunter Orange jackets, instead of camouflage. She is hunting deer not a member of the Navy Seals. Did she also take and pass Wisconsin's Firearm Safety Course? I personally think 10 is too young to have a weapon. Sure she could go into the woods to learn about family togetherness, nature, but I think that 10 is a bit to young. When I was that age, I was in charge of using my compass to find our way back to my dad's truck, learning about wind direction as to trying to avoid the deer picking up our scent, how to track a deer if my dad got a hit. Watching him field dress the deer and assisting in dragging it out of the woods. I also had to earn my keep in gathering firewood for the cabin pot belly stove, washing dishes.

September 26, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  18. Ludwig

Let's hope Ryan's daughter is a better shot than Dick Cheney!

September 26, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  19. wrencher

Why is this article wasting space on a news site? I guarantee if he had gone and bought her a bicycle it wouldn't be news. But then neither is this. Just trying to stir up the pro vs anti gunners.

September 26, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  20. JPX

Wow, what a wonderful father. He's going to traumatize his 10-year old daughter by having her murder animals. Why are republicans so obsessed with guns? Why would you ever expose your kid to guns? Disgusting.

September 26, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  21. Larry

Wonderful. Nothing like putting a gun in the hands of a 10 year old and teaching him/her how to kill. What a great dad Paul Ryan is. I am so happy to know we have politicians like Paul Ryan who can teach all of us a lesson about parenting.

September 26, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. Zidane

I seriously doubt that deer need to be culled in Wisconsin, and since they live in DC, I doubt they eat the deer for food. I personally disagree with the killing of any animal for sport and teaching children to do so is wrong – How can a 10 year kill Bambi! ! I know I won't be voting for him.

September 26, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. kottmyer

Wasn't there a movie back in the 1970's, "Ryan's Daughter"? Maybe this is a remake.

September 26, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. eduardo

he should be taking his daughter to Disnew World, not teaching her to be a bloody animal killer. It is disgusting.

September 26, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. casey

Oh, I'm definitely voting for him now. Not.

September 26, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |