September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. lcleejr

most of us remember years ago when romney claimed to be a big game hunter. later he admitted not even hunting for small game. he was trying to get support from the NRA. its cool that ryan loves to hunt but him running to be vice president is a disaster

September 26, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. bigskydem

As a Democrat who is an avid hunter I say to those of you who are against it that you should become more educated about hunting. In Montana where hunting is a large part of our traditions more deer are killed each year by vehicles than by hunters. Most deer that are taken by hunters die within a few moments of being shot while most that are killed by cars have to be euthanized by either another motorist or law enforcement, sometimes these deer manage to run into the woods and take days to die. Hunting is intended to keep the numbers in check to prevent overpopulation and the ensuing starvation that follows. I do not agree with Ryan using his daughter as a campaign prop but if she wants to hunt thats fine. My daughter who is now 18 loves to hunt grouse but not waterfowl or big game and thats fine with me.Its not an activity that all will enjoy but it does serve a purpose and as long as the hunters are ethical most people never no its going on.

September 26, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  3. Tom

First-hunting “by-yourself” doesn't mean a ten-year-old is dropped off in the woods with a gun alone. It means she pulls the trigger.
    Second-all of you cultured folks who love The Food Network, Foie Gras, pheasant, duck, a turkey at Thanksgiving and yes, venison like to distance yourself from the act of an animal dying so you can live and enjoy a delicious meal. Progressives are the biggest hypocrites on earth.
    Third-the only reason CNN is running this story is to make Ryan look bad to all of you who are too immature to understand that man is an evolved omnivore and hunting and eating meat is much more natural and by far a more "green" endeavor than any local food market in a city of millions where the concrete jungle has stolen more habitat, produced more waste-water, and used more electricity polluting more of our environment than most of our agricultural states.
    Being progressive tends to mean ignoring the reality of life in the real world for an idea of life in a perfect world.

September 26, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. jennymay

Its pretty hypocritical for anyone who eats farmed meat to have a low opinion of hunting. What is better, for an animal to live an unnatural life in a small pen until it's slaughter, or allowing the animal to live a natural life in the wild and then killed with reverence and respect, in a sustainable manner and used for sustenance, free of hormones and chemicals? Yes there are some who do not respect what hunting should be about, poachers, those who do not use the whole animal, but unfortunately, there are bad seeds doing wrong things in all groups.

September 26, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Squanto274

All you lefties that shop at Whole Foods that profess to be better because you are organic and saving the world from GMOS- who is hunting bad? It goes from field to plate? Nothing but good old fashioned butchering. As organic as it can possibly be!!!!

I belong to a hunting club and lord know how many arguements pop up at dinner over politics. Know why? Hunting is not a one party issue! Why is he condemned as Satan because he is a GOP that hunts???? I got this from the Democratic Party Platform- Honor hunting & fishing heritage via more conservation lands
    Honoring our hunting and fishing heritage. We are committed to protecting the lands used by hunters and anglers, and we will open millions of new acres of land to public hunting and fishing. We will conserve and restore the habitats where wildlife flourish, expanding use of voluntary, incentive-based programs that target private landowners.

September 26, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. What?

OMG – what is wrong with hunting? I mean hunting for only what you eat not Trophy hunting. I didn't start hunting until I was 45 and now I take my grandkids. It's not an assault rifle, and what is wrong with eating organic meat? It's not cruel if you know what you are doing, and the hiking and talking is bonding. I guess you would all feel better if she was sitting on her behind playing some video game and eating junk food till she became obese. Get over yourselves.

September 26, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. Anthony in California

This guys really is a Palin 2.0
    And with Romney looking like GWBush, this is one helluva ticket the Republicans have on their hands.

September 26, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. Cristiabella

"Please, NRA Sir, I want some more."

September 26, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. FLIndependent

Remember folks – these are your PRO-Life people!! Guess shooting animals for the fun of it doesn't count as killing.

September 26, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Bryan

Nothing as cowardly as a hunter.

Really hunters? This is your idea of fun? Shooting an animal from a safe distance with little chemically propelled pellets, causing terror and pain?

September 26, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Wade

Good for him. If not for hunting, conservation efforts in this country would be non-existent. Pittman-Robertson Act places excise taxes on certain sporting goods to fund wildlife conservation. And teacher kids responsible gun ownership at a young age keeps their curiosity from trying to learn on their own later on.

September 26, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  12. Mel

I'm not a hunter, but I come from a family that hunts deer, turkey, gator (we're in FL) & wild hog every year. Though I'm not a big gun person myself, I know hunting can be fun & safe if done right. But I do think 10 is a little young. Maybe 14 instead.

September 26, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. cynthia

He has the right to hunt and even to take a 10-year-old. The idea he makes such a big deal out of his shopping trip is an obvious attempt to pander to the far-right, rabid NRA members...not the reasonable hunters and gun owners who don't feel the need to own an offensive arsenal of deadly force. I also question taking anyone who is that young and inexperienced out into an arena where youth and inexperienced (by fellow hunters, too) are a huge risk factor. My dad used to hunt, so did his dad, but he never took any of us with him. He always was concerned about the number of shoot happy hunters who had an attitude. I don't like foolish pandering by anyone.

September 26, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  14. KNKLHEAD

.. yeah, this is an NRA post to help support the lack of NRA-ness that Romney has. Good that someone mentioned that Romney claimed to be a big game hunter .. then said he was a small game hunter (what, chipmunks, Mitt?) then finally admitted he didn't hunt "all that much" - Maybe zero? ANOTHER great example of Mitt flip-flopping on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE!

September 26, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  15. Billy

Nice seeing Paul Ryan teaching a bit of responsibility to his daughter. Paul's decision to allow her to hunt is a positive. Two many times children believe chickens don't have feathers since the chicken do not have feathers in the grocery store.
    JUST TO GET THIS STRAIGHT ""She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," No where does it say she will hunt by herself!
    Good luck to your daughter and you in your deer hunt this year.

September 26, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. bigdoglv

Maybe if more kids went hunting with thier parents we would have fewer gun accidents by fools who only learned gun safety from what they saw on TV. You folks bashing hunting do not understand the revenue for conservation that hunting produces. If hunting was banned, more deer would die of starvation than the numbers taken by hunters today. One more thing. real hunters do eat what they harvest. It is part of the whole experience.

September 26, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  17. kk

How exactly does this connect with the average American? I think most people agree guns do not belong in the hands of children. Keep on clinging Mr. Ryan.

September 26, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. Shanna

I make no judgments. I am not a vegetarian, so it would be hypocritical for me to judge anyone who hunts for their own food. The part that I just don't understand is how anyone enjoys killing something that looks like a rabbit or a deer. For me, it's just a mystery. I look at these animals in the wild and imagine they have a family and babies to go 'home' to. I see beautiful flocks of geese flying overhead where I live. I just don't understand the desire to kill them. Trophy hunting for big game is a whole different story. Unless you're out there competing with your bare hands, it's really not a fair fight.

September 26, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. Nick

Way to go, but I don't see why this should make the news! Glad to see a fellow hunter pass on the tradition to his children, but again newsworthy, I think not!

September 26, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. Boo

Nothing like pandering to the NRA......man, these Republicans are so obviously transparent with their pandering it's risible!!!!

September 26, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. Cristiabella

Ahhhh, the thrill of the kill. Family values!

September 26, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. bigdoglv

Lots of opinions on how Ryan should raise his daughter. IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

September 26, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  23. Neil

It's great that he's teaching his daughter an outdoor skill such as hunting. Many things can be learned about life in general during the training and then eventual hunt with experienced persons like her father. This is really great to see Mr Ryan doing this with his daughter.

September 26, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  24. noteasilyswayed

Romney and Ryan keep doing things in public that attempt to solidify their base and alienate lots of other constituencies. What this tells me is that they are now afraid that their base is going to stay home and not even vote in November. Obviously this whole episode is an attempt to show that the Romney-Ryan ticket supports the NRA and wants more money from them. Using your ten year old child for political points is just not a good tactic, in my opinion. People will see right through this.

September 26, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  25. Squigman

Why? Apparently the need to fire a gun means more than knowing what other little girls learn at her age. Typical extreme right wing (nut), agenda.

September 26, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |