September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Lynn

Oh no! Another VP with a gun!

September 26, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  2. truth hurts

kk – How exactly does this connect with the average American? I think most people agree guns do not belong in the hands of children.
    ==========================================================================================
    Not true. Most people DO believe they don't belong in the hands of urban gang members running drugs and conducting drive by shootings. Hunting is legal and teaches kids the proper use of fire arms as well as many other valuable lessons. You need to get out of your urban jungle mentality.

September 26, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Gail

If he lets his daughter kill animals, then she should also be responsible for the skinning, cleaning, defeathering, etc. of such animal in order for it to be eaten. If she is shooting only for "fun" then the Ryans are true sickos. They are rich enough to buy all the food they need, they don't need to kill to eat. And besides, I truly believe that 10 years old is WAY TOO YOUNG to be killing ANYTHING.

September 26, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  4. Pat in IL

10. Year old being taught to kill for fun.....very creepy and very non-Christian.

September 26, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. Chat Pata

He is afraid that since he is going to be a VP (in his dreams) he would end up shooting his friend like Dick Cheney, and that is why he is buying that for his daughter. Wait till she goes to school and start shooting gay students.

September 26, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. JoeW

Hopefully Mr. Ryan has purchased a hat and gloves for himself with similar smell diminishing characteristics. In fact he might consider a complete suit, not only for himself but for his running mate as well. I can smell them both through the computer and the smell is not too sweet.

September 26, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. BigSir

Too bad she can't take ballet or something non-destructive.

September 26, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. Kevin

Checking in as another pro-hunting/gun rights liberal. My question- why is this news?

September 26, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. Iowan

If it were not so close to an election where they are trying to clench the anti-gun control vote, this would not even be news. Who cares that he bought hunting gear for his daughter? Lots of fathers do that.

September 26, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Pam from Iowa

Why? Who is she planning on shooting?
    (come on!!! this is NOT newsworthy!!!...reminds me of the media and that awful Bristol Palin!!!)

September 26, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. PikeRover

Anything to get the NRA vote

September 26, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  12. Pam from Iowa

It is creepy, isn't it?
    Kill for the sake of killing! Good Christian values there!! NOT!!!!

September 26, 2012 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. Heywood Jablome

Just gets creepier and creepier. Should have learned the lesson of John Kerry the hunter.

September 26, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Another Huge Obama Failure

I see the CNN non-story machine is in full effect today...

What's the point of this story exactly?

September 26, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Bee

Because what ten year old girl doesn't enjoy murdering an innocent animal like Bambi's mother? This is just plain sick.

September 26, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. Art

I can almost understand why CNN and other cable news networks cover fluff and stupid things like this on their television programs. They need to fill the time with something instead of covering the one or two stories a day adnauseum. But is it necessary to post garbage like this on your web site too? Who cares? You'd be better off posting recipes, at least it would be of some value to someone.

September 26, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. JamesF

Besides the fact that Romney will win, what's wrong with killing for fun?

September 26, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. JamesF

There's a good chance they will actually kill for the sake of having more food on the table. Is killing pigs and cows wrong? I'm guessing you never eat steak

September 26, 2012 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. DoseOfReality

I hope all of your normal liberals reflect on some of these discussion board comments and think about the company you are keeping when you vote "D" down the ballot.

September 26, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  20. Anonymous

How is teaching a child(person) to hunt and prepare their own meat any different from letting that kid pick the burger at the grocery store and cook it? At least the deer wasn't raised in a feedlot.

September 26, 2012 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  21. papa

Image her delighted shrieks of childish delight when she opens that Christmas stocking full of hand grenades!

September 26, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  22. San Saba

He has a free invitation to hunt deer or dove at my property anytime. Anyone that gets out of the City with their kids to hunt and fish has my vote.

September 26, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  23. MJS419

I see the haters are plentiful here. Truth is, he is bringing his kid up the right way and teaching her valuable life skills, unlike most parents who overshelter and overprotect their children and are not properly educated on things like guns and hunting. I applaud Paul Ryan for doing the right thing.

September 26, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  24. NotFooledByDistractions

Do people really fall for this kind of nonsense?

September 26, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. Steve-O

I learned to shoot when I was 10. When I turned 16 I was an NRA Distinguished Expert. I am a VietNam vet. I'm still alive because my Dad taught me to shoot when I was 10. Thank you Dad.

September 26, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |