September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. My Daughter Hunts too

Hunting is a much more humane way to put dinner on the table than is buying your meat at the store. If you don't believe me, take a tour of a stockyard – or follow a semi full of cattle for hundreds of miles in all kinds of weather while those cattle are moved to market. Hunting is a way to connect with family in the great outdoors building a love of the land and a respect for the ecology that allows for game to thrive. Not to mention the respect most hunters have for the animal and all of its nutrition, rather than hormone filled beef. While I am not a hunter, I deeply respect hunters who carry on the tradition that keeps family values and the environment in focus.

September 26, 2012 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  2. TY

You guys kill me....

Here all you folks are talking about giving a 10 yr old a gun....come on really? I have all 3 of my kids hunting the oldest is 11 youngest is 7. They all have more understanding about nature and the enviroment then almost all the folks posting on here. Here in TN and what most folks don't understand is that....all these animals that everyone loves to see and watch are protected and watched over by the hunters money...when they buy hunting lics, shells...ect...and % of that goes to the TN Wildlife Resource Agency. Now....on to the eating aspect....I was raised about as poor as anyone could be and if it was not for hunting done by my brother and myself, my family would have gone to bed many of nights with nothing to eat. So Shut up.... Now for you health food nuts....most hunters are in better shape then you think, eat better then what you buy in the store...Deer meat is the most health meat other then Fish...yes better then chicken. It's all natural. You guys could care less what a person does, unless they are a Republican...I bet is Christ himself came back and ran on a GOP ticket you guys would still vote fo Obama....somemtimes you have to think for yourselves. SOUNDS CRAZY i KNOW.....

Christ will never come back and be a REP, Christ is for all people not matter what color. Also Christ will not cheat on his taxes, suppress the vote and tell dirty lies about our President. So leave CHRIST out of the devil circle

September 26, 2012 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. MENSD

We live in a modern world. Ryan doesn't live on a homestead where he has to go out and shoot a deer to eat. He's shooting for the sport of killing. It's called bloodsport. I'd have a totally different view of this if he was raising a pig in his back yard or some chickens and slaughtering them for food.... because I DO believe that people are too removed from the killing of the animals they eat. Its become very clinical to go to the store and industrialized farming has it's own horrors because of it....but going out into the wild and killing animals that are in their habitat is not for food. This is bloodsport. I'd probably have a different view of this if I thought for a minute that he'd take the deer home and clean it himself, and have his daughter do the same, instead of dropping it off at the butchers to gut, clean, skin,etc.. I'm pretty sure though his daughter is just along so he can have an extra kill on her permit.

September 26, 2012 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  4. Keep us all on our heels...

I love when politicians bring their children into the campaign debate, I know that as a parent I always liked dragging my children into the debates.... and then hope to god they don't get involved in a hunting accident. Karma is a rea b sometimes,

September 26, 2012 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. Joan Potashner

Hope she has a better aim than Cheney.Truthfully, hunting is barbaric. The animals don't have a fighting chance. All creatures are gods children. I hope is daughter rebels, one day!

September 26, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  6. janetlaw

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21. "
    There is the problem with this party in a nutshell. Have no problems with religion and hunting, but DO have problems with a hypocrite asking for his freedom to hunt and worship, but giving NO freedom to women controlling their own bodies. No wonder this party is going down the tubes.

September 26, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Really?

This is why George Washington warned our Nation of the dangers of political parties…People align with a party and loose all sense of reality and logical reasoning.

How can you honestly take issue with this ‘story’ and judge Ryan’s ability to be VP based on such stories? (No, I am not a Rep, or Dem for that matter)

If you don’t believe in the killing or harvesting of any animal for food, then you’re a lost cause. If the human body requires supplements to compensate for the lack of meat in your diet, then don’t you think it is natural that humans are intended to eat meat?

This is a survival skill that is at the core of life itself. Relying on Walmart or local grocery is convenient, but why wouldn’t you want to learn to be self sufficient or have access to non-processed food? (wow, this sounds similar analogous to the organic and locally grown movement sweeping the nation). Learning such skills at a young age will allow this child to learn hunting safety and survival. If any of you complaining on this thread did any sort of research or even stepped foot in the outdoors, you’d understand that hunters and gamesmen have the upmost respect wildlife. Then again, I guess you’d have to get a little dirty to find out and stop reading BS stories like this.

September 26, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  8. Jean Sartre

Wow!

I know that when I was 10-years old that's all I wanted to do was go kill Bambi or perhaps just wound Bambi, so she could be eaten by wolves or bears...

Will she also be getting a Catholic Bible, a copy of Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” to take with her on this huge hunting safari?

What a lucky girl!

September 26, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. yourmama

when she cries and can't sleep because she killed an animal and watched it suffer and die, then perhaps he will return all the gear for a refund. she's 10, let her hold on to childhood, compassion and empathy just a little bit longer before it is shamed out of her. The better lesson about conservation and proper stewardship of this earth, would be to educate our children about where our food comes from, and how it is fed, raised and treated from farm to table

September 26, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. truth hurts

Yes, how cruel and unjustified. Hunting should be banned so that the animals may freely multiply until they eat and destroy everything in sight and cause thousands of traffic fatalities and injuries a year as they dart out in front of vehicles every second of every day. Of course millions of them would die horrendous deaths due to injury, disease and starvation, not the mention the human costs. Yes, the liberal soution is far better. What sane person could argue with it? I'm sure their solution then would be to outlaw vehicles and remove the pavement.

September 26, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. KARL BULLOCK

It should be a requirements for all Liberals to be Vegatarians since they are so much against people excersizing their right to hunt. These people are quick to chastize somebody for hunting but i bet they like their steak. Hypocrits every last one of them.

September 26, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  12. LC

Everyone needs to stop with the stereotyping. I am a young male adult who is an avid gun enthusiast, but I only am interested in the skill of target shooting and defense of my friends and family. I am an animal lover and conservationist - not a hunter - I couldn't voluntarily kill anything unless my life depended on it, but I support the rights of others to do so assuming it is done in a humane and controlled manner. I have many guns, of which I treat all of them with extreme care and respect as they are deadly weapons.

I am also a socially liberal centrist who will be voting for Obama....

September 26, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  13. Harmon

Pandering to the NRA??? If you are a member of the NRA (I'm a life member) there is a very remote possability you would vote for Obama anyway. The constitution is to protect us every day people from our own government / liberal wingnuts.

September 26, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. Narayan

Height of hiprocracy....from someone who is "Pro Life"....How can anyone claim to be "Pro Life" and kill an innocent animal for pleasure ?

September 26, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  15. JohnW

"Okay, got my cap, got my jacket... Hey, where do you keep the Obama-shaped practice targets?"

September 26, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  16. Anonymous

I can tell you all who are opposed against hunting, i am 19 years old and have never got involved with politics unitl i seen people commenting about how hunting is bad and shouldn't kill. Well i can tell you i do hunt, and i enjoy every bit of it. Its called making memories with your family and friends, every deer, turkey, squirrel i have killed i have cooked and either ate with my FAMILY or FRIENDS!!! If there wasn't hunting we would have so many illnesses and viruses coming from the animals that over-populate like DEER!!! I know where my facts come from and its from a CONSERVATIONIST!!!!?. So how can you people who commented negatively against this have so much hatred. Before you make certain allegations about people or for hunting in that matter. Read up on your local conservationist books. PAUL RYAN you have my VOTE!!!!

September 26, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. Chase

This articles is just stupid. Who cares? Hunting is a WORLDWIDE tradition, if not a necessity in some places. If Biden did this, nothing would be mentioned and all the anti-hunting nuts wouldn't say a thing.

September 26, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. russ

You forgot to buy the Bible too, panderer. Oh yeah, can you hunt down Mitt Romney's tax returns while you are out there?

September 26, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. Gazpacho12

No problem with hunting, but does he really think this helps his cause with undecided voters? I'm sure a large majority of NRA members are already in the Romney column. If Romney runs the country the way he runs his campaign... NOT GOOD.

September 26, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. The Real Tom Paine

-Harmon

****************************
    That's the NRA's problem: forgetting about responsible gun ownership, and into twisted, un-American, Ayn Rand-imspired issues and viewpoints. Responsibility? Who needs it when you have Wayne La Pierre and Ted Nugent ( those wonderful Constitutional Law experts) telling you what to think.

September 26, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. Guest

Anyone else find it funny that Ryan's having to pander to the gun-nut, hunting-crazy crowd? Isn't that normally the one demographic the GOP can count on?

September 26, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. brian in denver

What a wonderful thing to share w/ your daughter! Killing wildlife @ age 10 is bound to teach her an appreciation for all living things. Why not invite Sister Sarah along on the hunt?

September 26, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. Banana Ape

You can always tell the people who don't really hunt: cammo everything; no blaze orange to be found. The only thing he just did there was out himself as a poser.

September 26, 2012 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  24. HenryMiller

Do you all see what's happening here? First Romney's "47%" comment, now Ryan taking his daughter hunting. The first was something a lot of people believe, but it was politically incorrect to say. The second is what a lot of people do, or think it okay to do, but were afraid of all the self-righteous condemnation that results from admitting to it.

Ryan and Romney have gotten tired of trying to appease the oh-so-wimpy Left. The "47%" are by definition, parasites, living off society but contributing nothing to it. The anti-gun crowd are wimps, afraid to defend themselves and afraid of those willing and able to defend themselves. And it's time more people quit going out of their way to avoid offending the parasites and wimps.

To all the "oh-the-poor-47%" crowd, who do you think is going to pay the bills when that 47% crosses the threshold to 51%? To the "They-killed-Bambi!" crowd, would you prefer that the deer population increase until the deer starve to death because there are more deer than the environment can support? I'm not a deer, but I expect they don't like starvation any more than humans do–from all accounts, for all species with enough neurons to register misery, it's a miserable way to die.

September 26, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. Guest

I've no problems with anyone hunting. I don't hunt myself, being on the squeemish side, but I do enjoy venison whenever it's provided by my friends that do hunt. What I DON'T like however, is forcing a 10 year old into a potentially damaging situation such as this.

I can't imagine any of my kids at 10, staring into the eyes of the young buck they just brought down, watching it kick feebly, and watching as the light goes out of those eyes, realizing it was a direct result of their actions. What kind of parent inflicts that on a 10 year old? I won't even go into the details on the gutting and cleaning....

To put it another way, if you wouldn't take a child to a slasher style horror movie, why would you kill (or let them kill), and then gut & clean an animal right in front of them? I'd think that would be much more damaging.

September 26, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |