September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Oneanddone

I find it absolutely hilarious that all these libs are so offended about hunting and being so pro life for "bambie" yet they are ok with letting doctors go hunting for an unborn fetus in any situation and on taxpayers dime no less. Hypocrisy is quite comical when it comes to politics because everyone seems to have opinions that aren't really theirs but since their specific party believes it they will easily accept what they are spoon fed by the bias media. Please stop over exaggerating your disgust for this guy who is teaching his daughter a lesson in gun safety and responsibility. She's gonna need it when Obama runs out of OUR money to handout and the whole country goes crazy.

September 26, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. Get er done!

Hunting is a way of life for my folk....BUT...I do have a problem with him using this photo op to appeal to us Good ol' Boys....because I don't belong to the same country club as he does. They wouldn't even let me in.

September 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. sam the man

Just like a Repub to teach his progeny about gore and violence.

September 26, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  4. countryproud

Can't remember when I was not a Hunter. Most negative comments here will come from those that will starve to death if the Golden Arches at McD's ever fall. They are the ones that will never be able to take care of themselves if things get really bad, and it could. Don't think I would ever feed anyone that put us in that place. They deserve what they vote for.

September 26, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. Dave

Instructed to do so by his NRA overlords.

September 26, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  6. Phillip

Advice for Ryan: Don't take her hunting with Cheney!

September 26, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  7. paulronco

Good for her. Let's make sure her father has plenty of time to go hunting with her in December.

September 26, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. Cogito

I wish C N N would stop putting out trash stories like this and actually do some real reporting on something more important and substantial...like the fact that there is another presidential candidate on the ballot in every state, who gets no press coverage whatsoever, despite having a better record for 8 years as Governor of New Mexico than Obamney's record combined.

GARY JOHNSON 2012!

September 26, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  9. David

take a square mile and erect a 20 ft. high electrical fence.
    Then put a bunch of armed first degree murderers in there.
    And then let's see how many of these "hunters" would be willing to hunt.
    Bunch of cowards, sitting around drinking beer, waiting for some animal to come along so they can murder it.
    May every hunter meet the same fate at the animal they murder.

September 26, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  10. Juan

I have no problem with hunting when it is used for food, like others have mentioned it is actually more humane than a lot of meat you eat that live a tortured existence. My problem (maybe a little off topic with article) is I can't stand the "big game hunters" who go out and kill elephants and lions, etc then just leave it there to rot maybe taking a ivory tusk or something at the most. Your sitting hundreds of feet away with a high powered rifle, where even if you miss you are in almost no danger at all and you think your some kind of big shot because you killed an elephant or buffalo or something.

September 26, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  11. DENNA

I am bow hunter, a sport that I enjoy. Wisconsin is a beautiful state to hunt in and I have been there many times to do so. However, I would NEVER take a small child with me. Guns and broadhead tipped arrows have no business being given to children. Use some common sense, man.

September 26, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  12. candy

I think I'll be proud of him if he enlists her in the army instead. But what do you expect from him? Like Romney, he would only pick on victims who can't defend themselves.

These two clowns certainly are having a good time cutting hair of gays, laughing at the 47%, dueling with grandma's and grandpa's who have too much income from their Social Security checks, putting dogs strapped to car roofs, and tracking vicious animals like deer and ducks.

September 26, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. Evil Hollywood Liberal

Good Idea there Paul – planning for all that spare time you'll have on your hands after November 6.

September 26, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Patriot

And some folks wonder why the Republicans are loosing the election.

September 26, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. mommytwice

I think 10 is too young for firearms training.

September 26, 2012 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. 0704American

This just goes to show what a sick and demented man Ryan is. He takes pride in teaching his child to hunt and kill an animal for fun. It's not like they need the food.

September 26, 2012 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. John the baptist

Maybe, if we're lucky, she'll accidently point her new shinny gun at the Right Wing Extremist who bought her the gun and relieve us of his lies and deception. One can only hope.....

September 26, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. DJ

OMG – do you people really believe Ryan invited CNN to follow him into Bass Pro? They made a story out of this – not Ryan. My wife and I have a son and twin girls. They all started hunting with me at a young age and received their first rifle at 10. Our son is now 17 and the girls are 15. We spend many weekends together enjoying nature and watching the sun rise and set – something we do have time to do in the city. If we are lucky, we are able to enjoy many meals as a reward to our patience. Meals that do not include growth hormones and who knows what else in the processed food that is purchased. Being a hunter is so much more than killing Bambi or his mom. God put these creatures here for us to enjoy in many more ways than just watching them – which is something we enjoy as well.

September 26, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. Kevin O.

When I was about 10 years old I took aim at my uncle and squeezed the trigger. You see when you give a child a weapon, and you upset that child...the child will probably try to take your life.

Consider this when you take children hunting.

Have a good day ^.^

September 26, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. Greater Good

Taking pride in teaching your child to kill innocent animals for sport. Not like it's the frontier days where y'all need to survive, Paul.

Wonder if there's a correlation between this and being so callous when it comes to feeding the nation's poor children or preserving medicare benefits for seniors.

As for "one and done"–how come you and other conservatives are only concerned about the baby when it's inside the womb and then accuse the newborn of being a drain on our resources once he or she is born?

September 26, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. BLKMANinAmerica

See, each one teach one. Good, he (Paul Ryan) will have more and more free time on his hands after November 6th. Spend the time wisely cause they do grow up quickly.

September 26, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  22. Tex71

Ryan is apparently preparing to face joblessness the GOP way: "Squirrels are a good source of food".

September 26, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. k

Wow, I can't believe the amount of uneducated, ignorant, "educated" people responding on here about hunting deer for their meat and how cruel that is. The vast majority of hunters are ethical in their methods and care about nature and consvervation, and it is not killing for the sake of killing, give me a break. Ask any wildlife biologist (you know, a scientist) about hunting and they'll tell you it's absolutely necessary to manage the population. Why do you think there are hunting licenses and only certain amount of animals to be harvested with the issuance of license tags. Where do you think the money from these licenses goes, it goes back to wildlife research and conservation. We humans are part of the food chain, remember that one from science class. What do you think those pointy teeth in your mouth are for? What do you same folks say about fishing? It's the same thing, you are hunting and killing fish. What about eating plants, that's taking life right? What about the beef, pork, and poultry at the grocery. Hunting is a traditional skill that once learned properly can put healthy food on your table for a lifetime.
    Now for all the hateful comments about being a bad parent and a low life for teaching his daughter the use/respect of a firearm and how to hunt. It's all perspective I guess. How young should you teach a child to fish? Or is it just the gun part that has you rattled. You are probably just ignorant/afraid of guns yourself so you naturally would find it appalling to have a 10 year old handle one, right? Maybe you are just so domesticated as a human/animal that you will always have to rely on someone else in order to sustain your life. How sad that is. Some parents want to teach their kids how to be self sufficient instead of having to rely on others.

September 26, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. Paul

I wonder if he guts his kill or does he pay someone to do it.......He doesn't look like the get down and dirty hunting type to me....I bet he has soft hands.....I bet he pays to have someone skin it.......remove the p!ss sack, and esophagus .....You think he can take a few strikes at breaking the breast bone to open up the cavity to air out.....NOPE I bet he shoots it and then it arrives at his door cut and wrapped. That is after they remove the leash from its neck from some high class hunting club......down and dirty with us on BLM land baby!!

September 26, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. woody

I was hunting by the age of 12 and fact is we human mammals go hunting every time we go shopping but we would rather not look at it that way ! The human is naturally a hunter and gatherer . It is nice to teach kids about hunting however a deer hunting rifle can put quit a jolt to a 10 year olds shoulder . At 12 I started out with a 22 caliber rifle . Not something like a 30-06 . Its one thing to teach but yet another to get a child injured from recoil !

September 26, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |