September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. CryBabies

@ Sniffit...The Filed dressing? I'm sure as a hunter, he will do the field dressing on his own.

September 25, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Lynda Minnesota
    Yup with the added bonus of bringing to forefront and spinning for those that missed it the last 200 times the Prez's guns and bibles quip.

September 25, 2012 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. Boo

Always time to fish, hunt, stock up on weaponry and scare liberals.

September 25, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. sinbad

First I'll qualify that Im a moderate-liberal and not a Ryan supporter or Romney for that matter. Hunting may be associated with the far right, but that is no reason to question its morality. Hunting is ecologically controlled and morally the most humane way to obtain meat, as the animals live a wild life to maturity and are killed as instantaneaously as possible. It also forces the hunter to confront and respect the animal, not just buy dirty and inhumane meat from the grocery store. Also, does anyone else from an area from which people hunt find it odd how ryan always says "deer-hunter" in reference to himself? Anyone I've ever known just says "I hunt" or "I'm a hunter." Just seems a little weird like he's more into buying stuff at Cabela's than actually hunting.

September 25, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Arming 4th grader?......??.?. does bell rings in your brain?...?? Taliban/al-quida using kids as a soldiers ....where am I LIVING ???...

September 25, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. Kathleen Farrell

My husband took our daughter to her soccer and softball games, occasional Dodgers and Lakers games. He took her snowboarding and to the beach. She never got to slaughter an animal in the wild, and now it's too late. She's all grown up.

September 25, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. sick of republican phonies

Aw, how sweet, a wifle for Cwismas... I think that's what one of the Wise men brought to the Baby Jesus, too!

September 25, 2012 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  8. Slightly Left of Center

Oh, c'mon. What is the big deal? I may not like Ryan as a VP candidate, but I'm glad he's teaching her!! And quit crying about killing Bambi's mom. What do you think people did before we had cattle farms where food is slaughtered in mass quantities?

Give a man and fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    Welllllll......Give a girl a steak and you feed her for a day. Teach her to hunt and you feed her for a lifetime.
    SAME THING.

Bring on the venison :)

September 25, 2012 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  9. Thomas

Cant she pick out her own outfit and rifle ?

Oh , she's ten years old , what a jerk of a father . Why do people want there children to grow up so fast , let her be a kid , and keep her out of politics.

Take her to a movie , water slides , a play , a football game , a bike ride. Dose she really want to go blast a deer , ducks ?

September 25, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  10. Joe

Putting a gun in the hands of a 10-year-old child. Yeah that seems like an intelligent thing to do.

September 25, 2012 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  11. Desmond, Foreign Observer

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21. POOR LIZA. SHE HAS BEEN RAISED TO LOVE HUNTING I.E. KILL INNOCENT UNARMED ANIMALS FOR PLEASURE AND SPORT. Is this Catholic? Is it even the kind of human being we are aspiring to be? Is it what Jesus and St. Francis recommend? POOR LIZA.

September 25, 2012 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  12. incredulous

What a creepy, pathetic excuse for a man.

September 25, 2012 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  13. Indy

Pandering for the NRA vote,just like he tried to pander for the senior vote with his Momma

September 25, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Georgia Girl

Let's hope she doesnt shoot you in the face like Dick Cheney.

September 25, 2012 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  15. SusieTX

Shopping for his 10 year old daughter in the womens section? My grandson is 10. Grown up clothes would literal swallow him up and fall off. This shows me just how out of touch Ryan really is, along with his sidekick Romney.

September 25, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  16. Tony Spina

Hope he tries "Deer Scouter" an iPhone App which plots deer inteligence

September 25, 2012 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  17. RWC

Teaching his kid a great skill.

No wonder the libs are up in arms.

Over 680 tons of wild game donated to the poor. Geeze, don't they know they can get a SNAP card and get Doritos and Mountain Dew.

September 25, 2012 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  18. Freeman

Hunting? Killing deer? I thought this guy was pro life?

September 25, 2012 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. John

Isn't this how 10-year old Dickie Cheney started out in 1950.... start out with Bambi, end up with a lawyer

September 25, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  20. Susan in Arkansas

I wonder if the situation had been different, would CNN still print the story. Paul Ryan..."I'm in this great quilt shop to buy my 10 year old daughter some fabric and sewing supplies....I gave her a sewing maching for Christmas, so I'm getting her ready." Or, "I'm in this neat bicycle shop to buy my 10 year old daughter a cool helmet and some gloves...I gave her a new bicycle for Christmas, so I'm getter her ready." I think not.

September 25, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  21. Slightly Left of Center

Good for him!! I'm not crazy about Ryan, but I'm glad he's teaching her how to hunt and handle a firearm safely.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    Well...give a girl a venison burger and you feed her for a day. Teach her to hunt and you feed her for a lifetime.

What's the problem?

September 25, 2012 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  22. scott bleyle

my mom taught me,my bro and sis to shoot when we were eight y.o. Deer kill quite a few people here in Mich.100,000 car/deer strikes in the U.S.each year. Bambi was a fantasy created by a drug addict(cocaine) and his party pals

September 25, 2012 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. kmac

Paul–you have the base already–your over acting

September 25, 2012 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  24. jennifer in Houston

Oh good.. teach a 10 year old to kill.. all for your own sick political career..

September 25, 2012 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  25. Truthseeker

I find this incredibly disgusting, on many levels.

September 25, 2012 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |