September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Sara

Wow! Are all these anti women having guns posters also anti women in the military? Good for Paul Ryan for spending time with his daughter and teaching her gun safety.

September 26, 2012 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  2. Average American

Hunting is part of the culture in Wisconsin, and many kids (though not as many girls) go dear hunting with their families in the fall. I see nothing wrong with that as long as gun safety is being taught, and I'm sure that it is. What IS wrong? Romney and Ryan's policies for America.

September 26, 2012 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  3. r

I would like to see this wealthy young politician get his kids dressed and trained to serve in the U.S. Armed forces, rather than sending the 47% young men and women going to another country in the middle east of the GOP's choice once again in their plans to take the White House back. Always so patriotic offering our middle class citizens more jobs in the military, and a war to assure them, while their stocks on Wall Street go up higher, and they go to Dover A.F.B. to welcome their remains. I do not recall any Washington, D.C. politician's sons or daughters paying the ultimate price (nor would I want them to). Nor have I seen a politician step down to serve in the active duty force – it is always the reserves or national guard. In his case taking a check from us as a paid politician is the best he can do. Do I need to ask why? Ryan has nothing to offer – except going shopping with his mother in one picture taking opportunity and now his daughter – wonder if he thinks this will really sway senior citizens to give up Social Security for a vochure and Affordable Health Care? These two GOP candidates are really out of touch with us Americans.

September 26, 2012 05:47 am at 5:47 am |
  4. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Alfalfa(lyin)Ryan will soon have plenty of time to hunt when America cleans the right wingnuts out of the House of Reps.

September 26, 2012 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  5. sad

Paul why no let the young lady grow up a bit before you teach her to kill.

I am thinking your using hunting season to bag some political points.

September 26, 2012 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  6. June Kammerud

He should be buying blaze orange. I hope he isn't as stupid as he looks.

September 26, 2012 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  7. Dave

Sewing up the NRA vote, eh? I'm afraid they'll need more than that.

September 26, 2012 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  8. Jeffrey McIntyre

I would think that Ryan would do his buying in Wisconsin...supporting his local business community instead of buying at a chain store.....with that said, he won't have anything else to do the week of Thanksgiving...when deer season is open back home......

September 26, 2012 06:26 am at 6:26 am |
  9. Tony in Maine

I have hunted – to fill a freezer locker in an Alaskan village where I lived. I did not kill for fun, so I do not walk out into the woods behind my present home in the hills of Maine and blast away at everything that moves as do some of my fellow Mainers. People who do that worry me. It's not a big leap from shooting a red squirrel to wondering what it would be like...

September 26, 2012 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  10. wes

Is there no greater symbol of compassion and love for life that to provide a young daughter the gift of a weapon that is designed fundamentally to efficiently kill at a considerable distance? I have had guns and I have hunted a bit, primarily with falcons though. I now feel that as I see life more from the palliative perspective, that it is better to embrace it and its beauty in our world than make a substantive effort to eradicate it with only a brief, fleeting delusion of pleasure by inflicting death by my casual effort. Besides, isn't it cheaper and easier to buy a nice steak at a supermarket, and to develop some greater skill to impress a dramatic image of wildlife in photography for lasting prosperity? Sorry NRA, times are evolving and you are not, I gave up on you a long time ago when I left the cave. I now feel all sentient life is precious and delicate in its brief presence. Defense of one's life and family is different than the abstract and shallow desire to kill an animal just for the sake of vanity and blood lust. Ryan is instilling a pathological desire for death in his children.

September 26, 2012 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  11. CindyE/IN

Some of the Liberals being hateful...imagine that. Hunting/shooting can be excellent sports for parents and kids. Most gun accidents probably happen because people have had lack of training or experience. There are hunter's education classes for kids. Last time I was at the range, there was a dad there with his 11 yr old. the kid was a better shot than dad. he was very calm and serious about handling his rifle, and seeing his enthusiasm was great. Deer are so plentiful nowadays and cause lots of traffic fatalities...i don't like killing things, but i'm not against it, either. a clean kill is more humane than the way we treat some farm animals. i'd rather see kids doing this (responsibly) than sitting around getting fat playing games or on facebook/twitter!

September 26, 2012 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  12. roman

That;s why he and his "boss" never be elected ... natural stupids .What they and GOP want is ,to bring capitalism back as it was in 1815,but remember it won't happen.Never in this country ,we will develop new social/political system .This "democratic" system doesn't work.Simply ,the jerks can't apply for presidential run ,only the best of this nation.

September 26, 2012 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  13. TSRVT

Nothing wrong with this at all. I am a liberal democrat who began deer hunting at about the same age. If she is properly trained in ethical hunting practices and gun safety, and is a sufficiently good shot, she can hunt if she wants to. But if she's just being used by Ryan as a political prop (which I think is the case) then he should be deeply ashamed of himself.

September 26, 2012 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  14. gramma nance

Ryan hold NO appeal to me...even before THIS earth-shaking 'event'!

September 26, 2012 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  15. Chuk

What is wrong with these people and trying to appease the extreme right? Ryan, here's a hint: "hunt" in the middle, not the extreme right. Moron.

September 26, 2012 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  16. cm

Something is seriously wrong with both
    these guys(nuts) You can look at both of them,to tell they have some issues. Neither look human.

September 26, 2012 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  17. ProHuntingProGun Republican

Great to see a father/daughter hunting together! I see nothing wrong with this. I am a woman hunter, enjoyed many meals of game meat, no force fed, hormone injected meat in our home! As for 10 being to young for a gun, maybe if you aren't raised around them and taught to respect them....my son began shooting with SUPERVISION at the age of three. He has grown up to be a responsible, productive citizen of this country who loves the outdoors and hasn't killed anyone. I wish her luck on her first hunt, hope she is successful in shooting Bambi's Grandpa!

September 26, 2012 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  18. LCSWquilter

First, is this kid allowed to say, "Dad, I'd rather do something else instead of deer hunting"? Secondly, why is it Ryan can't say anything without trying to come across as a tough, pushy, know-it-all, self-righteous, smug guy? His personality leaves a lot to be desired.

September 26, 2012 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  19. Michelle

Hunting at 10? Child abuse.

September 26, 2012 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  20. deanpatson22

With all the gun shootings in the U.S.....yeah that's what we really need, another gun slinging advocate paid off by the NRA to be up there running our government. And what a big man Ryan is, he needs to use his 10 year old daughter as a billboard to do it.

September 26, 2012 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  21. Lol

I hope none of you who are against hunting eat meat. Do you have any idea what cows, pigs and chickens go through before making it to your dinner plate?! Deer hunting is no different.

September 26, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  22. Archie Bunker III

Every family should learn how to hunt and buy guns.Food prices are sky high and there no lowering them in the years to come.learn how to live off the land.If you are a sheeple and a obama voter then hold your hands out for the GMO tainted unhealthy food from the government.Wakeup SHEEPLE!

September 26, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  23. sam

I didn't like him before and I definitely don't like him now. I will never understand the thrill that humans get looking at an innocent animal in the eyes and killing them in cold blood. We truly live in a sick world.

September 26, 2012 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  24. pprty

The only people who should be hunting are those who can get food no other way. Hunting has turned into a sport & that is sick! There is no bravo in murdering a deer who was here before you & doesn't prey on anything!

September 26, 2012 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  25. vet4life63

All the hateful post on here. I thought it was the right that was supposed to be the haters. The left was supposed to be a tolerant and sensible crowd. Then I read all the hateful comments on here, and see what the truth is.

September 26, 2012 07:24 am at 7:24 am |