September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Robert

Nothing says I'm cool like killing an animal with a rifle. Sorry but calling this sport now days is like calling placing an order at Long John Silvers "fishing". They bait the deer, then sit in a baby barn with a rifle. Why not just stake the deer to the ground and beat it to death with a hammer?

September 26, 2012 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  2. abnguy

It is good to see a father teaching his children basic life skills. I work with many teen agers who do not know how to hunt, fish or farm. I find it hard to believe many do not teach their children basic self sufficiency skills, it is neglect in my opinion. For all of the crowd who thinks she is too young there are over 300,000,000 firearms in the US. Not teaching your child to shoot is as bad as not teaching them to swim.

September 26, 2012 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  3. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Perhaps the two should go hunting with Dick Cheyney. He knows a thing or two about shooting on target.

September 26, 2012 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  4. some guy in New Hampshire

Stand down, Paul, no need to pimp out your daughter. You and Mitt already have the NRA vote.

September 26, 2012 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  5. DaveinPA

Way to pander to the NRA. Remember Santorum signing up his disabled little girl Bella as a lifetime member of the NRA? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???

September 26, 2012 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  6. c. aguinaga

What century are you in Mr. Ryan? Evolve already.

September 26, 2012 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  7. Common Sense

If you can't drag the animal out of the woods after you kill it you have no reason to hunt it in the first place.

Personally I do not believe that he should be taking a child into the woods to hunt.

September 26, 2012 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  8. sick of republican phonies

If Dick Cheney calls and wants to go hunting with her, hang up.

September 26, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  9. Anonymous

Where did she get instructions for safe huting. Dead Eye Dick?

September 26, 2012 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  10. Jonsie

Since when did it become so awful for a father to take his daughter hunting. Most of you people are over the top weird!

September 26, 2012 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  11. Reddog9500

Davy Crocket killed a 'bar' when he was only 3. Daddy will be so proud when Liza comes home covered in deer blood and chewing on a hunk of raw liver. "That's my little girl! All grown up now!"

September 26, 2012 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  12. Evangenital

Wonderful, because we need more slaughtering of animals!

September 26, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  13. Bambi's bazooka

That's what every GOP daughter should get for their 10th birthday. A gun and hunting clothes. Hopefully she is a better shot then Dick Chaney. Did it come with a Caribou Barbi doll?

September 26, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  14. Wisconsingirl

Hunting is part of our culture in Wisconsin. My dad taught me to shoot, and took me deer hunting when I was 12. And yes, I can field-dress a deer, too. We just bought our 7-year-old his first BB gun, and he'll probably be tagging along on a hunt this year (but not shooting). Those of you commenting about Bambi or making snide comments about hunting are about as uneducated as they come. Meat has to come from somewhere. I guarantee those kids who grow up in a hunting culture are far more grounded than kids who think their meat comes shrink-wrapped from a butcher case. I applaud Ryan for not shying away from who he is and what he believes in.

September 26, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  15. Oy

That's ridiculous. Children should not be shooting weapons...and why is it ok for her to shoot an kill an animal but not ok for women to get abortions or use contraception!?
    Someone needs to inform this bozo that "clinging" to anything, be it guns or religion, is not a good thing. Duh?

September 26, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  16. Chedar

I for one will not ever teach my two sons to kill much more a daughter. I can't believe this waccos.

September 26, 2012 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  17. Marshall

Ryan spends quality time with his daughter, something very few American fathers do if their even around. Hunting is a great skill and its absolutely fabulous that this young girl is learning the skill and safety of firearms at such a young age. I take my hat off to this outdoorsman and his teaching his children skills and the American tradition of being able to take care of ones self.

September 26, 2012 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  18. John

I'M a true Believer In Gun Right, but I the only one that Giving a 10 year old a loaded weapon Is not the Right thing to do. To me this Is just not right. What a idiot!

September 26, 2012 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  19. Rosa, b'ham al

I dont have anything against hunting but this is over the top. SHe is 10, Its just dangerous.

September 26, 2012 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  20. pprty

Are they starving? The only people who should be hunting are people who have no means of getting food.. It is wrong to murder for SPORT.

September 26, 2012 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  21. clarke

if it wasn't an election year, this would not even be in the news. They will even use children to get votes. disgraceful.

September 26, 2012 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  22. Wally Gator

WOW, are all these posters against hunting, vegetarians? I hope so. You wouldn't want to be classified as hipocritical. If you saw how they processed domestic poultry & beef it would make your skin crawl.

September 26, 2012 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

Not my choice of quality time with my kids, but hey, he ought to be commended for at least doing something with his kids, and making them a priority even while he's running for office.

September 26, 2012 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  24. pottermaine

His daughter can grow up to be like Sarah Palin. We'll be needing another one for future generations.

September 26, 2012 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  25. justSayin...

...so our kids get traumatized by the sight of women's breasts...but having a riffle and killing animals is not only ok, but considered spending family quality time? I must be really screwed up.

September 26, 2012 08:15 am at 8:15 am |