September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. Harvty

Obama doesn't want his daughters "punished with a baby", he'll support them having an abortion. Liberals have no problem with that, but Ryan wants to take his daughter hunting and it sends you all into a tizzy. Beyond ridiculous.

September 26, 2012 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  2. beevee

There are a lot of other things a good father can teach his 10-year old girls and in my opinion 'bambi killing' is not one of them at that young age.

September 26, 2012 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  3. Rationalintn

Good job Paul, get 'em started on killing things while they're young. Really, you bought a 10 year old a rifle? That might be ok if we were living in the 1700s. However, most people don't need to hunt for their food today, so killing animals is what you teach your daughter to do for fun? Nice.

September 26, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  4. Core republican Values

Ryan is this year's "Palin." What a slime ball.

September 26, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  5. Viltor

Ahh the joy of shooting and killing. You just can't start too young. What a bizarre message to send the world by a candidate for Vice President of The United States of America.

September 26, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  6. The Annoyed Elephant

Freeman: you apparently don't understand that pro-life refers to babies, not delicious deer.

September 26, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  7. Tim

We need more 10-year-olds with firearms in their hands. We all know that kids have awesome judgement. What could possibly go wrong?

September 26, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  8. DocHollywood

So why was this done on the campaign trail? To show everyone he's All American? Got to get those second amendment votes out there. However, I'm not really impressed. I'm a liberal, I own several guns and rifles, and I've never once worried about any president trying to limit my rights to own them. It's a dead issue, Ryan, except for conspiracy nuts, and nuts in general.

September 26, 2012 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  9. Dave/Minnesota

Awesome!! Ryan, wish you and your daughter the best with your hunt this fall.

September 26, 2012 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  10. Really?

Honestly?
    How do you guys think meat gets on your table?
    BTW, nobody shoots Bambi.
    For pete sakes, it's hunting folks!
    And please tell me where it said he just leaves the kill in the woods...........maybe they have it processed.

September 26, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  11. Duchess

Is he trying to show his love for the NRA votes?? WHAT ...at TEN you are gonna let her hunt WITH A GUN ON HER OWN!!!!!! A far cry from the usal NRA stance of rightful gunownership is all about personal safety, Wonder what they do wth the deer that they unfortunately DO get... DO THEY EAT IT??? DONATE IT?? or MOUNT IT OVER THE FIREPLACE???

September 26, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  12. Maria

A rifle in the hands of a ten year old girl? What's next for America ten years from now....Parents should think ten times before following this obviously shortsighted example

September 26, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  13. Joe

What an evil man – someone who wants to teach his children a skill that fed people for thousands of years until the 'sanitized' way of getting food came along. It's a skill that could save your life. It's pretty hypocritical to criticize hunting as 'blood lust' when we go to the store and buy food someone else killed for us. 'Innocent' animals died in both cases. At least the hunter is willing to take responsibility for it.

And, here in the midwest (where people don't all live in cities and do come in contact with real nature – not some romantic notion of it from watching PBS programs) controllilng the wildlife population through hunting is absolutely necessary (since building the cities you folks all live in resulted in killing off all the natural predators that would normally have controlled the wildlife population).

September 26, 2012 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  14. Jean

Good for him!

September 26, 2012 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  15. Sandra

How do any of you know that he's not going to eat any deer he kills??? And at least it will be an adult. How many of you fools eat lamb and veal??? That is cruel.

September 26, 2012 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  16. HEHE

Paul Ryan's a bad person and he should feel bad.

September 26, 2012 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  17. Jim

I bought my son a truck. Stop the presses!!!

September 26, 2012 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  18. NoTags

Although I disagree with Paul Ryan on just about everything and would never vote for him if he wants to have his 10 year old daughter in the field with a .270 rifle that is strictly his business.
    Personally, I think she is too young to be shooting a .270, again however that is his business.

As to hunting, I have to ask the non-hunters if allowing animals to starve to death is more humane than taking them for food? When I was growing up in my State the limit on deer was 2 deer, per person, per year. Very few people were lucky enough to take 1 and I never knew anyone at that time who were able to take 2. For the last few years the limit has been 12 per person, per year (2 bucks and 10 does). Even with that limit I still see a surplus of deer, many times right in my yard.

September 26, 2012 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  19. BC

Karl Rover: All I can say is WOW. You hope that a daughter shoots her father on a hunting trip? Really are you that big of a dirtbag to wish that on someone? It amazes me the level that some people will stoop to when posting on an annonymous message board. Hunting and guns are what allowed your great-great-great grand parents the ability to survive to produce you more than likely. Think before you speak it is a great trait to have and develop.

September 26, 2012 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  20. Surfer George

I'm a 62 year old man. I'm a meat eater. I'm fairly certain I could kill a human if they threatened my family's or my life, but I killed a sparrow with a BB gun when I was 10 or 11 and I can tell you, I cannot EVER see me sport hunting and I'd probably only hunt to eat if there was no place to buy meat.

Killing changed me. YES, I know it was only a bird, but it was a life..

AND I KNOW I'm a "hypocrite" because I won't/can't kill but still eat meat.

I said all that to say I hope that Ryan is sensitive to his daughter's nature and doesn't force her to go against it.

September 26, 2012 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  21. cheryl

Wow, so how do you think our forefathers provided food for their families? Oh I forgot, so many parents think it is o.k to place your kid in front of a video game (babysitter)for hours while they are off doing their own thing. My nephew and husband are avid hunters, and the memories that are being made during their huntign trips wil out live my time on this earth. As for him shopping in the women's section.......really is that news?

September 26, 2012 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  22. Facts don't Lie

it is good that Ryan is getting his daughter this gun now because in Obama's second term of course he's going to take everyone's guns away.

September 26, 2012 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  23. Really?

A lot of these comments pretty much show me that many of you just don't understand how food gets on your table.
    There is NOTHING wrong with teaching a youngster to handle a gun. It's a good thing, actually. Teach them to handle it correctly, respect it at all times, and use it for the appropriate purposes.
    The things people get offended about these days just slays me. Put your big kid pants on.
    It's a valuable skill he's teaching his daughter.

September 26, 2012 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  24. MN

How fitting that the defensless and vunerable are targeted even in his spare time.

September 26, 2012 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  25. DerpFawx

II dont see the big deal, according to the article, "She's really looking forward to it," so I think that he is being a good father by allowing her to do the stuff that she wants to do

September 26, 2012 08:49 am at 8:49 am |