September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. DaveT

Ok, the comments on here are either people completely out of touch or just ignorant. First off, "innocent deer?" Then you are implying there are guilty deer? Who said as well that he is letting his daughter loose by herself? It says specifically in the article that she is going with him. It does not say he is going trophy hunting either. He could be, but to imply that is very misleading.

So he is doing something with his daughter that is spending time with her. It is not selling drugs,taking her to a strip club, etc. ITS IS SPENDING TIME WITH HIS DAUGHTER! Maybe more dad's need to take note about investing in time into their family. Maybe all the moms on here need to LET there husbands have great quality time with their dad. If she enjoys it, it puts food on the table, and their relationships grows, why all the fuss?

I hope everyone on here that is posting against hunting are vegetarian. Wait, that would mean that you would be eating poor defenseless plants. That can't be right. Oh, the cows were killed humanely. Yep, in a small pen with hormones.

I read this article because I respect a dad that spends time with his family and teaches them to respect wild things.

September 26, 2012 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  2. Chuck Foertmeyer

If I had known Paul Ryan would be shopping just two miles from my home, I'd have been sure to be there to shake the man's hand and wish him well. You all can cry and whine about him buying a gun for his nine year old daughter, or complain that he will let her hunt at age ten, but you are all out of touch with what made America what it was a generation ago, and what it will be again with men like Ryan at the helm. It was hunters and trappers that opened up the west for settlement, at great peril I might add. So, since you all seem to know nothing at all about hunting, let me ask you one question; have you ever seen a deer starve to death? That's a terrible death, slow and painful, but that is exactly what happens to them if the herds are not culled. Through this type of management, there are now more deer in this country than when the white man first arrived.

September 26, 2012 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  3. Really?

To Oh,
    "Someone needs to inform this bozo that "clinging" to anything, be it guns or religion, is not a good thing."
    Please, Oh.
    There are plenty of people clinging to Obama.

Gun safety is IMPORTANT! Teach it early. Teach them how to handle the weapon.
    I learned at a young age. I'm confident that (since every criminal has a gun these days) if I were attacked and I got ahold of the gun, I could defend myself. What about the rest of you? Good luck with that.

September 26, 2012 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  4. Oh boy

Who are you using your duaghter to appeal to Mr. Ryan? A few backwood hicks for sure but the middle class is laughing at you.

September 26, 2012 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  5. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Thou shalt not kill.

September 26, 2012 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  6. pprty

It's for sure Obama didn't buy his girls a rifle and outfit them to murder animals.

September 26, 2012 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  7. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Awesome. In New York State, I had to wait until I was 14 to get my hunting license. I also had to attend a four-hour hunter safety training course and pass a test before I could apply for my license. I am sure that is also the case in Wisconsin.

September 26, 2012 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  8. Pete

After the November elections and Ryans double defeats making political history those camo hunting outfits will be worth their weight in gold..Ryan and his family will be hiding out in the upper UP of Michigan or Minnesota to get away from the reporters asking the same question,What's it like being a two time loser,can you explain please!!!.You won't hear of Ryan,Boehner or hopefully of McConnell but yah never know with the latter,he doesn't know when to shut it,never did,probibly never will. Their ignorence is greater than their arrogence but that's just an inherient trait that they obviously can't change..They make mistakes but won't take credit for them,they obstruct but won't take credit for and they're racist which is so blantant its disgusting,but what's new they're republicans,the party of "O NO!"

September 26, 2012 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  9. Sue

Bow hunting, a very cruel sport. THINK what it must feel like to have a big arrow stuck in your side!!

September 26, 2012 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  10. Marcia Greenwood, IN

Ryan is not spending quality time with his daughter he said she is old enought to hunt on her own-so he is sending her to the woods to hunt-It is part of a dying culture as we become more citified-and apparently she wants to follow and do what her dad does. I just hope someone goes with her to keep her safe-she is only 10.

September 26, 2012 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  11. Lynn

Ryan is against all abortions, but kills defenseless animals for the thrill of killing, not for food. Sick

September 26, 2012 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  12. Rich

f only we could all introduce our 10 year old daughters to guns, killing for sport, and commando fashion all in the same trip! I guess the chewing tobacco will have to wait until she's 11.

September 26, 2012 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  13. Republicans Are The American Taliban

What a wonderful idea! If the Romney/Ryan ticket wins, in eight years wars in Afghanistan, Iran, and several other arabic countries will still be raging full tilt. She will be fully qualified to join the Army, and volunteer for sniper school, and serve her country.

September 26, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  14. Matt

There are either a lot of vegetarians here, or a lot of hypocrites.

I learned to handle a firearm when I was 8. I'm also not a moron, so I guess that helps my odds.

September 26, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  15. Anonymous

I am not a hunter, but I live in Wisconsin and this is what Wisconsin people do – it's a regional thing here. They hunt – for food. There are areas in northern Wisconsin that basically shut down when deer season starts because deer season is the time when many people stock their freezers for the winter. Yes, it may sound "back-woodsy" and ignorant to many of you who live in large urban areas or feel sympathy for Bambi. Hunting not only provides food, but also helps control the deer population which can become invasive. If you don't live in Wisconsin, you will never understand so please don't be too quick to judge.

September 26, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  16. Daniel

I have read the comments so far and have came to one conclusion people in this country have far to much confidence in the federal government. Government was never meant to legislate our personal life's its was even said once by one of our founding fathers that their inalienable rights among these are the rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness and individuals should be guarenteed these rights as long as their actions do not infringe upon the rights of others. What makes some of you think that government knows better for you that your parents do. Government has no business legislating our personal life's if the man wishes to hunt and to teach his children the same what business is it of our government to tell him otherwise. And I see where this is going many of you believe that gun ownership should be abolished and I would agree that certain assault rifles probably should be banned but I will not stand by and neither millions of other Americans and allow a select few take away our right to govern our own life. Therefore I say here and now government and should stay out of the personal life's of American's. Praying, hunting, driving, home ownership all of those things are rights and millions of American's like myself wont allow a select few to take them away from us.

September 26, 2012 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  17. tp1776

Are Romney and Ryan afraid they'll lose the NRA vote?

September 26, 2012 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  18. Anonymous

Super idea...an American tradition... Thank GOD for the Second Amendment and the right to Hunt.

September 26, 2012 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  19. Michael A

I guess a child is better off sitting in front of a computer or TV in a mindless stare!! Wake up people; just because you do not agree with a father taking his daughter hunting does not give you the right to pass judgment. My kids have hunted with me since they were 4 years old. Mr. Ryan is not going to leave his daughter by herself in a hunting situation; he'll be by her side. How many of you buy organic meat?? Hunting is the same as visiting your local market and choosing which package of organic meat to buy!! Get off your high horses!!

September 26, 2012 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  20. Randy, San Francisco

Ryan should drop out of politics completely and spend more quality time with his 10 year old daughter.

September 26, 2012 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  21. Donnie the Lion

Children of upper middle class to upper class children don't have to hunt for food....don't bring that weak sauce to the table. Plus, most of the meat we eat is herded and slaughtered, not hunted.

September 26, 2012 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  22. princeton

I've never seen a politician exploit his 9 year-old daughter, by volunteering her for bloodsport.

Ryan has broken new ground, and it's low ground indeed. He's a political entrepreneur.

September 26, 2012 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  23. jb1963

She can hunt but will he send her to war?

September 26, 2012 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  24. bxgrrl

So she gets to learn to kill at 10 years old. This guy is the scum of the earth, for animals and people.

September 26, 2012 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  25. Badger

I live with this every year in Wisconsin as long as you go thru a hunter safety cousre you can hunt here in WI. We even have youth hunts designed for 10 to 16 year olds where they are the only ones who can hunt. You have to love WI where for two weeks in November you have to wear orange to go to work as someone might think your a deer. Even if your in your own home grillng on the deck you better have orange on as if you get shot it is your fault for not wearing orange. I love my guns for target and skeet shooting but I think a 10 year old is a little young to hunt as do they really unstand what is behind the target.

September 26, 2012 09:22 am at 9:22 am |