September 25th, 2012

Ryan outfits daughter with deer-hunting gear

Cincinnati, Ohio (CNN) – Gearing up for deer-hunting season, Rep. Paul Ryan bought hunting clothes for his daughter to go with the rifle the Republican vice presidential nominee gave her for Christmas.

"She's hunted with me but this is the first time she gets to do the hunting herself," Ryan said of daughter Liza. "She's 10 years old and you can hunt starting at 10. I got her a rifle for Christmas last year and so I'm getting her ready."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Tuesday in Ohio, between a town hall in Cincinnati and a rally with GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in Vandalia, Ryan stopped at Bass Pro Shops in the Forrest Park neighborhood to get his daughter outfitted for hunting season.

The outdoorsman went directly to the "Women's Camo" area to check out their assortment of camouflage items. He purchased his daughter gloves, a beanie and a bib and paid for the $101.14 bill in cash. With a couple items in hand, he explained to reporters the hat and gloves include carbon which helps block a human's scent.

The Wisconsin-native, tapped to be Romney's running mate in August, often mentions his love of hunting on the campaign trail. Ryan tries to cast their Democratic opponent, President Barack Obama, as out of touch because of a comment he made in the 2008 campaign in which he said, "People like to cling to their guns and their religion."

"Hey, I'm a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion," Ryan first said in Carnegie, Pennsylvania on Aug. 21.

Liza, the oldest of Ryan's three children, received her first rifle for Christmas last year. "I got her a Remington 700 243 junior model – 243 is a caliber – it's a good gun," Ryan, an avid bowhunter, explained to reporters at the store.

According to an ">interview with Deer & Deer Hunting magazine, Ryan "shoots a Mathews Z7 Xtreme compound and loves the thrill of bowhunting, but also enjoys firearms."

"My daughter she's been hunting with me for years, watching me, but she's old enough this year to hunt on her own," he said. "She's really looking forward to it."

Ryan said he hopes to go hunting this fall in his home state and in Oklahoma, where his wife Janna grew up.

The vice presidential hopeful may not have as much time to hunt as he has in previous years, juggling his role as congressman and now vice presidential nominee, but soon he'll be able to mix a little work and pleasure. Ryan is expected to do an event with sportsmen in Columbus, Ohio this weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Ohio • Paul Ryan
  1. lyn

So many of our kids get shot,you would think that this Moron who want to lead our country have better judgement, but NO it is all for political reason they want the NRA votes,so desperate Ryan is using his daughter for political gain shame on you Ryan. "OBAMA/ BIDEN 2012"

September 26, 2012 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  2. bigdoglv

Fathers have been taking their children hunting for centuries. If you have never been, your remarks are only based on your opinion and no facts. You cheerleaders are just following your leaders orders.

September 26, 2012 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. miamigrrrl

He should get the outfit covered in flags and crosses. I'm not sure he's pandering quite hard enough.

September 26, 2012 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  4. bigdoglv

Teaching children gun safety at a young age. What's the problem?

September 26, 2012 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  5. Nan

as far as quick to judge...a friend of mine from Wisconsin..has already apologized for this dude.

September 26, 2012 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  6. Ted van Tol

Wfe should teach our children to love and be respectful to animals and nature.The seccond amandment is a part of
    the American history. No one is hunting just for food. Hunting is a way to tell children to violate animals and guns are not the guns that where ment in this amendment. Hunting sometimes in needed for the balance in nature but must never be for pleasire.

September 26, 2012 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  7. D.Mama

Now folks just think how safe she will be on a date! Who would dare to treat daddys little girl badly! After all knowing how to use a gun is a plus! Now why didnt I think to teach my daughters that trick. And the way to a mans heart is through his stomach and she will be able to even kill his dinner. Now the only problem is will sh be taught to prepare the kill herself or will that be to bloody for her to handle. Im sure daddy will teach her the art of gutting! Dosent that go along with the kill. There must be more to this than wearing a cute outfit and shooting a gun!

September 26, 2012 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. pprty

If the deer had the capability of shooting a rifle back at you, then it would be a challenge. There is no challenge in shooting something that doesn't prey on anything!

September 26, 2012 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. hippie power 69

i think its wonderful for a father and daughter to bond and share just talking and walking out in the woods. too bad he is not just taking her for a walk and to see nature in all of its glory. i understand that meat does not come wrapped in plastic in the supermarket, that it does have to go through a process to get there. but why put a gun in the hands of a 10 year old. boy or girl it doesn't matter, its the gun that i wish were missing from this picture. i also could understand it if they needed to hunt to eat, but ryan is well off. he is not doing this for the food. i think this country is violent enough nevermind teaching our children to hunt and kill. i have never hunted, but i do have very loving memories of my father and me meeting for lunch every friday afternoon when we worked 2 miles from each other in the late 1980's. it means so much to me today since he has been gone since 1992. i hope they both have nice memories of their time together, but i don't think it should be associated with blood and death and slaughter. i hope this doesn't traumatize this child for life. i would think this is child abuse. at 10 years old she can not possibly understand all of the trauma and suffering of the animal and this maybe very upsetting to her. i hope he know what he is doing to his little girl.

September 26, 2012 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. babooph

He should have gotten her a scalpel so he could get some help trimming off the end his ever growing nose...

September 26, 2012 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  11. Will

I think anyone that enjoys killing animals for thrills has something very wrong. They can call it a sport all they want.

September 26, 2012 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  12. chris

You can see the problems in America reading these comments. Americans have become soft, lacking a spine, lacking self determination, grit etc. Those against hunting are funny bc 99% of the time as they are munching on that double quarter pounder with cheese they don't realize that the animal they are eating never had a chance as it was penned up and then killed by large nail to brain before slaughter. When you hunt, your meal has a chance and its good for you. Men and women have proven this since the beginning of time. What happened to America where this changed for some people?

September 26, 2012 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. Reality

This is why I left the Republican Party of my youth. The relentless pandering to the gun crowd, the christian right and anything military has completely diminished the GOP as the party of the fiscally conservative, pragmatic leadership that was defined by Reagan, James Baker, Howard Baker, Bob Dole, Dick Lugar.

The great names are all gone replaced by mouthpieces and sycophants

September 26, 2012 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  14. CindyE/IN

some of these posts show just how out of touch and narrow-minded some people are! growing up, i wasn't exposed to hunting much, other than reading some books and old magazines my grandpa gave me. he had given up hunting by that time. my father was an avid fisherman, and as the oldest kid in the family, and a tomboy, i got to go with him whenever i wanted, which was often. i got my first very own fishing pole and tackle box for Christmas one year when i was around 8. i still have fond memories of those fishing trips. i doubt that Ryan is forcing his daughter to hunt, it's not just a guy thing! many women, including myself, are interested in firearms these days. as long Ryan and his daughter hunt responsibly, i'm all for it.

September 26, 2012 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  15. Sid Stewart

"Ryan is against all abortions..." and this is compared to hunting?? what a stupid comparison; so we can't eat meat and the environmental wackos want to protect the plants; so we all starve to death!! God gave man the animals of the earth for food and they should be used as such; I can't believe that hunting was compared to abortions; wow-how liberal can you get?? a post like that comes from someone who does not believe in God and that the Bible is God's Word

September 26, 2012 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  16. Joe from NJ

@Joe from CT...Why would you be so sure that the minimum hunting age in Wisconsin would be the same as NY???
    In this age of the Internet, why not just look it up and then you would KNOW that the minimum age to to get a hunting license in Wisconsin is 10 years old.
    Anything else I can look up for you?

September 26, 2012 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  17. kkummen

There are 7 billion people on the panet --if everyone had Ryan's enjoyment of hunting there won't be any animals in the wild---–besides that, teaching a child to kill, even if its an animal, is disgusting.................

September 26, 2012 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  18. LesPaul23

Gee, that wasn't a calculated political move or anything. So Paul, would you go hunting if the deer had guns too? Didn't think so you coward.

September 26, 2012 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  19. Sue

Wow another serial animal, big deal. Anyone can kill something that is just standing there, or drinking water. I heard of a sissy killing a deer that was eating an apple off a tree. Love that he ticks off the animal lovers, voters! Don't tell me how the deer need to be thinned, don't tell me how deer will die in the winter from lack of food, don't tell me how they kill only the weak deer. Funny most serial animal killers want a "trophy" just like a serial killer.

September 26, 2012 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  20. Renee

Oh my gosh, i can't believe some of the comments. I live in Wisconsin. Guess what, deer hunting is a normal activity here. Some people don't hunt which is their choice, some people do because they enjoy it. As long as proper hunting safetly rules/laws are followed, and the animals are hunted to be used for food (oh there's nothing like venison sausage, yum!), what's all the fuss? My nephew is going hunting for the first time this year. It's a rite of passage for many kids. I personally am not into hunting, but I enjoy fishing. I know a lot of people who do enjoy hunting.

I can't believe the person who said this would traumatize a kid for life. You have got to be kidding me!

There are strict restrictions set on hunting which is very necessary to maintain a healthy population. If not, then you will see animals starving and suffering due to overpopulation. If you really cared about the animals, you would know that.

If you don't like hunting, don't do it, that's your choice. But for an individual to go out and potentially bring home one deer which they can then butcher and turn into delicious cuts of meat and sausage, I don't see the fuss.

September 26, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  21. CLT

Something to be proud of...............lol.

September 26, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  22. Anonymous

I have to agree with the posters who are suggesting this is nothing but a photo-op. First, his daughter is way to young to be "fitted" in women's gear and if she's already been hunting with him over the years, she's probably already been fitted with everything she needs as well.

While his daughter might like to spend time with her father hunting, it's doubtful she has yet to experience her first "kill". This is nothing more than Santorum using his daughter Bella for NRA publicity. Both fathers are exploiting their daughters shamefully for political gain. It would be interesting to see what this particular daughter thinks once she becomes an adult and is fully able to understand the consequences of her fathers "pride" in her. I know of very few Catholics who kill animals for sport. Ryan has made it perfectly clear he hunts for sport - not food.

September 26, 2012 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  23. Dee

How about taking your ten year old to an animal shelter to cuddle homeless cats or walk homeless dogs who will be euthanized in a few weeks? Same thing – she will still be able to watch innocent animals die, unless it's the blood and guts of hunting he wants her to see. What a monster.

September 26, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  24. TheTraveler

Dang! I knew it. Paul Ryan is really Sarah Palin in drag ...

September 26, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  25. Sniffit

"She can hunt but will he send her to war?"

Only if she likes boys. Otherwise, she's going to be too busy spending time teaching daddy how to tolerate her.

September 26, 2012 09:53 am at 9:53 am |