Ann Romney details 'shocking' emergency landing
September 26th, 2012

Ann Romney details 'shocking' emergency landing

(CNN) – Ann Romney gave details Wednesday about the emergency landing her plane took last week due to an electrical problem.

"I'm just watching a movie, sitting there and all the sudden, the movie goes off and I turn around, and it was so shocking. The whole inside of the plane was full of smoke," Ann Romney said in an interview that aired on "Access Hollywood Live."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Calmly, Ann said she turned to the other passengers and said, "Oh, this is a problem."

The chartered plane then took a "very, very quick descent," Ann said, adding that no one "really panicked."

"Everyone was doing their job, and we were going down fast," Ann said. "I mean they did say it's gonna feel like we were really going, it's like G-Force going down."

On Friday, the plane was headed to Los Angeles from Omaha but landed in Denver, where it was met with emergency vehicles on the runway.

"We landed, the door flew open, we flew, we got thrown off the airplane, and we were on the runway," Ann said in the interview. "I kept thinking to myself, this is Denver, this is a busy airport...Can we go to the 'shoulder'?"

No injuries were reported among the crew and small group of passengers that included Ann Romney, her press secretary and two Secret Service officers.

Her campaign said Friday that Ann spoke with her husband on the phone after the incident, which took place shortly before he held an event in Las Vegas.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. 1twinsfan

And I tried to roll down the windows but they just wouldn't budge and thought to myself "After Mittens is elected King, I'll have him pass a law to fix that."

September 26, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. LacrosseMom

WHY is this even a story, CNN?

September 26, 2012 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain: Mittens' 47% ... Veterans, grandma and the disabled are all moochers!

Good thing those public employees (firefighters and airport personnel), along with union members (pilots and flight attendants) were there to help!

September 26, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. Wake up People!

I was wondering when she would pop back up so Willard could hide behind her coat tails...... I bet this election is the most time she has ever spent working in her life. Sorry Queenie, it's not your time.

OBAMA 2012!

September 26, 2012 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. smallbizowner

Thank god it was not a real tragedy. Lovely woman and mother. The Romneys are very good people.

I appreciate how they are stingy with the public money and generous with their own.

Conversely, Obama is stingy with his own money and generous with other people's money.

September 26, 2012 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  6. Namejkane sfl a vote for the gop will cut your moms medicare and soc sec .can you afford to pay for them???

Sorry your not going to win, try 3012 king Ann and queen mit.

September 26, 2012 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. simp

I dont like this woman. She will not be the wonderful example as First Lady MIchelle Obama is. First of all ann romeny feels she is entitled to be in the white house so therefore it should be. She tries to act like she can relate to me and all the other middle class mothers out there but she cant. Talking about how she raised 5 boy and that was a job, hell this woman had nannies, gardners, cooks, chauffers and the list goes on. There is no substance that comes from her, actually in listening to her during interviews she sounds mean and nasty. She holds no where near a candle to our current first lady, not even close.

September 26, 2012 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  8. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Yeah, and then Mitt Romney asked why the windows on a plane don't open. The Huffington Post already covered this stupid fluff piece yesterday, CNN. Get it together.

September 26, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. frespech

Thank heavens she didn't try to open the door or roll down the windows like Mitt thought she should.

September 26, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  10. incredulous

You can always tell when Romney is doing badly in the polls. He trots out Ann to tell some harrowing tale. Kind of pathetic.

September 26, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. Sandy

Still going for the sympathy vote, I see. Pathetic! I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was staged!

September 26, 2012 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  12. FactCheck

Politics aside, I am glad no one was hurt.

September 26, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. durundal

This reeks of embellishment

September 26, 2012 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. You People Aint Seeing Our Tax Returns

Why did they not allow her open the windows as her husband suggested?

September 26, 2012 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Ann was saved by union member s that her husband and the GOP hates.

September 26, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  16. BLKMANinAmerica

K.....................just wondering WHO really gives a darn tho Ann? She such a drama queen!

September 26, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. demwit

Great job CNN!. This is sooo much more important than talking about the economy, or debt, or Iran...

September 26, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  18. v_mag

"Yeah, I remember when the inside of my private jet filled up with smoke. I had the entire crew fired, after receiving 50 lashes each. Then I threw that jet away and got a bigger one. There must be lots of middle class folks out there who've had similar experiences. By the way, elect Mitt, since he and I are so in touch with the hardships Americans are facing."

September 26, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. truth hurts

WOW!! And now a story where the sick libtards can attack and smear Ann Romney as well!! What a great day!!

September 26, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. RMoney Can't Buy Him Love

Stop it. Being a robot's wife is hard.
    Go watch someone ride your horse Ann, that'll help you.
    Can't wait until Nov. 7th when she and Willard will be out of the public eye for good

September 26, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Boo

Did Ann thank the members of the proletariat who landed the plan? Don't see anything ABOUT THAT in her comments.

September 26, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. x Republican

Did they forget the Grey Poupon? This is a staged event. We are not buying it. Why is it a story on CNN?

September 26, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. LEVI

She was screaming we can't land there. You didn't build that.

September 26, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. Colinmb

Wonder if any of the 47% freeloaders helped her out. I'm sure baggage and food handlers aren't making enough to pay income tax.

September 26, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. duane

this is about as news worthy as Obama doing "the view"....who cares?????????

September 26, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |