Ann Romney details 'shocking' emergency landing
September 26th, 2012

Ann Romney details 'shocking' emergency landing

(CNN) – Ann Romney gave details Wednesday about the emergency landing her plane took last week due to an electrical problem.

"I'm just watching a movie, sitting there and all the sudden, the movie goes off and I turn around, and it was so shocking. The whole inside of the plane was full of smoke," Ann Romney said in an interview that aired on "Access Hollywood Live."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Calmly, Ann said she turned to the other passengers and said, "Oh, this is a problem."

The chartered plane then took a "very, very quick descent," Ann said, adding that no one "really panicked."

"Everyone was doing their job, and we were going down fast," Ann said. "I mean they did say it's gonna feel like we were really going, it's like G-Force going down."

On Friday, the plane was headed to Los Angeles from Omaha but landed in Denver, where it was met with emergency vehicles on the runway.

"We landed, the door flew open, we flew, we got thrown off the airplane, and we were on the runway," Ann said in the interview. "I kept thinking to myself, this is Denver, this is a busy airport...Can we go to the 'shoulder'?"

No injuries were reported among the crew and small group of passengers that included Ann Romney, her press secretary and two Secret Service officers.

Her campaign said Friday that Ann spoke with her husband on the phone after the incident, which took place shortly before he held an event in Las Vegas.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. Texan

Nice picture choice CNN ...and nice job painting her as a kept woman panicking. I rarely visit anymore and ever time I do I become more convinced that this media outlet is little more than another device in the liberal election machine (in big ways and small.) In this case, small, but clear as day.

Again.

September 26, 2012 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  2. Eli

That's a very large plane for a group of such small travelers. It's a wonder she had room to stretch her legs.

Do you think she's ever flown "coach?"

September 26, 2012 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  3. Jersey Girl

Ann is just as phony as her hypocrital flip-flopper husband. He is wondering why airplanes don't have windows that open! And this guy is a multi-millionaire? What is the matter with this guy??

September 26, 2012 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. dave

The stream of nasty comments here is disturbing. You don't know Ann Romney...stop acting like she's a terrible person and have a heart. I'm disgusted.

September 26, 2012 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. Jonquil

I'm a total Obama supporter and I laughed when Romney wondered aloud why the windows on the plane didn't open, but I'm going to assume he meant why a window couldn't be opened after landing, not before. Anyway, I've got no gripe with Ann and I do imagine this was scary for her - especially when you consider that she'd be particularly vulnerable as a potential target. I'm glad everyone's okay.

September 26, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. aj

Huh... Ann plane and Mitt's campaign both seem to be going down in smoke

September 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Boytjie

Triple A

And the hate frome the Liberal Left continues to roll... I bet the BHO is very proud of what he turned the party of tolerance into....
    =============================
    ...into another version of the GOP?

Nevertheless, I don't understand the bile posts here aimed at her (brook comment etc). There are idiots in any group of people

September 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. gary

Quote " door flew open, we flew, we got thrown off the plane and we were on the runway"
    Did they fly or get thrown off the plane prior to the fireman rushing into the plane when it landed or did the firemen walk the passengers off the plane? She tells great stories (that have no truth) just like her husband. If her husband had been President, maybe the plane would have been fitted with roll down windows. This story makes as much sense as the story she tells about Romney turning off the hot water heater each time they leave their house. Neither of them probably have any idea of where the hot water heater is or how to relite the pilot upon return. They probably have a hot water servant who handles these pesky details.

September 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Norman

God was pretty clear with his message-youre going down Romney!

September 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. jolivier23

What is wrong with you people? Why are you making this a political issue? I am just glad nobody was hurt. The hate thrown out at the Romneys (and at President Obama) is just plain absurd. Both candidates and their wives are just trying to follow their vision for the country and both of them want what is best for the country. You may disagree with the directions but to insult them based on the heresay and twisted words that often get thrown around by both sides is just plain stupid and childish.

September 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. Denny

Can we go to the "shoulder"? Really? Are Mitt and Anne so clueless that they don't know the first thing about air travel?

First you got Mitt saying oxygen can't get into the plane so you should be able to open the windows.
    Then you have Anne saying, move the plane to the "shoulder". First of all, a plane (of that size) isn't going to move to a "shoulder". When that plane landed it is very likely they went to a taxiway or some special ramp area. Even IF they stayed on the runway does she think they wouldn't shut that thing down immediately?

If they can't show some critical thinking/clue on these things, how in the heck are they going to be in the white house dealing with MUCH more complex items? (Yes, I know Anne isn't running for office, but like any wife she would advise her husband + have her own initiatives)

September 26, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. terryrayc

Wow after everything that happened the best Eli can do is ask about the size of the plane. That's pretty Liberal of you...more Liberal then most liberals. Please go away.

September 26, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  13. Mick

As an AMERICAN I am truly embarrassed that we have gotten to the point that the life of other individuals doesn't matter, and their emergency situation is merely dealt with in rudeness. What in the world have we gotten too when life of others is of no importance? Yea, right, the UNITED states of America. It couldn't be further from the truth.

September 26, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. PJ

"I appreciate how they are stingy with the public money but generous with their own".
    Guess you missed her gig on Leno. She said Mitt was "cheap" and he had a list of what should be turned off
    every time they leave the house, one in particular was the hot water.
    I have a list of what "turns me off" of Mitt.

September 26, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  15. Bob A D

She sounds just like her husband. "Oh, this is a problem."

September 26, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. sadtosay

I'm glad she and the other passengers on the flight were alright. I now can freely make jokes about how normal people have car trouble and the Romney's have plane trouble.

September 26, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. Anonymous

They couldn't just open the window?

September 26, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  18. LD

And her husband Mitt's plane was also forced to land because it was full of hot air ;-)

September 26, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  19. roughneck001

September 26, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  20. terryrayc

Wow after reading the comments here I think this news piece and the comments should be used to prove once and for all that Liberals are the major problem here in the US. I dare you all to go back and read the comments and then try and convince yourselves that Liberals are real people.

September 26, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. Wellywellup

Nice to see some 47%'s coming to her aid.

September 26, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. RRHoghead

Looks like a $25 million dollar Gulfstream. Probably Romney's plane of choice when he was making billions as a CEO. I'm going to vote to keep him out of Air Force One, where Mrs. Romney would have even more legroom.

September 26, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  23. Jeffer65

"Her campaign" the article says. I didn't realize she was running for office. Sorry this happened to her, but is this really news?

September 26, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  24. harpo

too bad it was not a real emergency... the repulic could do with on less of them.

September 26, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. Kweso

Firefighters came to the rescue, paramedics were there on time and the police took special care of your security. We are the 47% your husband scorns, but we don't scorn you 1%ers.

September 26, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |