Romney 'my heart aches' for those struggling
September 26th, 2012

Romney 'my heart aches' for those struggling

Westerville, Ohio (CNN) – As he attempts to reverse a polling deficit against President Obama in Ohio, Mitt Romney had a message for that swing state's voters Wednesday: he feels their pain, and he knows how to fix it.

The GOP presidential candidate told 2,000 voters in a high school gym outside Columbus they could trust him to know his strengths – righting the economy, he said, as well as tackling the national debt.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've been across this country. My heart aches for the people I've seen," Romney told the enthusiastic supporters seated on folding chairs around a high school gym. "And the difference between me and President Obama is I know what to do and I will do what it takes to get this economy going."

Recognizing that many small business owners pay taxes on their business through their personal income filing, Romney aknowledged that his tax reforms would affect the personal income system.

"By the way don't be expecting any huge cut in taxes because I'm also going to lower deductions and exemptions," Romney said. "But by bringing rates down we'll be able to have small businesses keep more of their money so they can hire more people."

Though Romney lags behind Obama in a handful of recent polls taken in Ohio, polls from The Washington Post and Quinnipiac University showed voters here trust Romney more than the president to do a better job handling the budget deficit.

"When [Obama] came into office there was just over ten trillion dollars in debt. Now there's over 16 trillion dollars in debt. If he were reelected I can assure you it will be almost 20 trillion dollars in debt," Romney told the audience, as he stood next to a digital debt clock the campaign has used at some previous events. "By the way, those debts get passed on to our kids. It's not just bad for the economy, it's not just bad for our job creation it will – in my opinion it is immoral for us to pass on obligations like that to the next generation."

Romney's appearance here Wednesday came as part of a three-day joint bus tour with running mate Paul Ryan designed to shore up support for the Republican ticket in the last 40 days of the White House race.

Golf legend Jack Nicklaus delighted the audience with an appearance, and introduced Romney by saying the two men shared family values. In turn, Romney called Nicklaus "the greatest athlete of the 20th century."

"When he said this election is not about him, but about his kids and his grandkids I knew just what he felt, that's what this campaign is all about," Romney said.

He also ruefully joked with the audience about what he called one of his weaknesses – athleticism.

"When I got the job to help organize the Olympic Winter Games in 2002, I knew that it was a bit ironic for a guy with such little athletic ability as myself to be able to be responsible for the largest athletic event in the world," Romney joked. "My boys also saw the irony in it."

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Economy • Mitt Romney • Ohio
  1. sonny chapman

He & Sweet Anne have NO IDEA what it's like to struggle economically. To pretend they do is the worst acting job since Glen Campbell(Great Musician) in True Grit.

September 26, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. Four and The Door

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
    At the end of the day, it isn't about who can feel the worst or identify the most with people who are struggling financially. The important question is "Who can fix it?". At the end of the day, this is really all that matters. Who knows how and is capable of getting the economy recovered in the way that helps so many struggling Americans? Obama has had 3 1/2 years to work his magic. This should be to his advantage but as we all see, it is not. Romney/ Ryan 2012.

September 26, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  3. Sandy

_______________

I see Romney is still lying.

September 26, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. Obamacare = Obama cares about the young, elderly, poor and disabled. Romneycare = "I don't care about the poor"!

The difference is "you people" know that President O cares for the middle class and working poor which you lump into the 47% that are lazy losers and moochers.

Mittens, you have made it quite clear that it "is not my job to worry about the 47%", and therefore, is "above your pay grade" if elected as President!

September 26, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. Mike Singer

He feels for those hurting. He knows how to help them...but putting them in the 47 percent he doesn't care about.

September 26, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  6. nash

Mr. Romney, did your heart ache when you locked the gaits on some businesses, did your heart ache when the govt. had to pay for the fired workers pensions you put in your bank, did your heart ache when you sent American jobs to China, did your heart ache when these people lost their insurance, their livelihoods. Did your heart ache while you ran to France while your fellow Americans were being killed in Nam. Does your heart ache while your counting your millions stashed in Swiss accts, Cayman Island accts.

September 26, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  7. v_mag

"I knew that it was a bit ironic for a guy with such little athletic ability as myself to be able to be responsible for the largest athletic event in the world," Romney joked.
    He could also have said, "I knew that it was a bit ironic for a guy with such little governing ability as myself to be able to be responsible for the most important political position in the world."

September 26, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  8. Ken

And he said on THAT tape that all he would do is sit back and the economy will right itself without his having to do anything.
    Obviously, the footwork that President Obama has done is taking this economy in the right direction. So – why change the direction of the POTUS

September 26, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. Expat American

I believe Romney. I shed tears when Ann Romney shared her heart breaking story about eating dinner off of the ironing board…..Greif centers were working overtime during the Republican SS Hate Fest.

September 26, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  10. Sorensen

What a joke. He does not feel anything for anybody except himself and his car-elevator.

September 26, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  11. once upon a horse

if Mitt Romney had started his sorry campaign talking like this he might actually be leading Obama in the polls, but after that video and leaks of his plan to cut many programs for the lower income while giving more tax breaks for people like him more Americans just are NOT buying it. He just seems to pander to whatever message he thinks will get him in the Oval Office and the polls show it is not working.

September 26, 2012 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Al-NY,NY

"You lie" You said at the fundraiser that you're not concerned for those struggling since they are nothing but moochers and layabouts. Epic fail. Try again

September 26, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. BigTBone

" it is immoral for us to pass on obligations like that to the next generation"

But it's not immoral for Bush to pass it on to the next administration? Amnesia of 2000-2008 is a serious disorder.

No Mitty, what's immoral is to put two unfunded wars on a credit card simultaneously with medicare D and tax breaks aplenty. Check your running mate's record. He's the culprit along with the other chickenhawk warmongers.

September 26, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  14. Thomas

I have a car elevator , my wife a dancing horse .

Yes I feel your pain. I have five sons who avoided volunteering for the military in times of war , I feel the pain of very wounded vetran .

Oh I love the trees , there all the same size , ohh and the lakes

September 26, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. Marie MD

He truly is such a funny guy.
    You have NOT been Cross this country except to raise money and you are visiting swing states. My heart also aches because it's hard to Elise that in the year 2012 there are so many fools in the US.
    Yes, nicklaus has probably played in one of those golf courses that the twit thinks everyone wants as their backyard. So?
    As if your spawns have to worry about Medicare or Social Security or a roof over their heads while they share the mansions with car elevators.
    Again with the Olympics? Taxpayers saved your sorry behind when you were chosen to help with the Olympics. By the way you shuffle along I can tell you only know the owners of the teams.

September 26, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  16. w l jones

I hate to say but his ideal on high to fix this economy about traveling in deep space floating in a cylinder. Look up UFO over Jax. Fla June 1971 or2 read just how much one might have on world economy. Bless.

September 26, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  17. luke,az

Gov Romney is NOT presidential material. Anybody with any sense knows this. He's a prop for people like Adelson and the Koch Bros.

September 26, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. AK_steve

I hear Romney always saying he knows what to do and he will do it. But we haven't heard anything about his plan on how he will do it.

He did say he will cut taxes – which obviously won't help the economy. I guess he just sprinkles some magic fairy dust to fix the rest.

September 26, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  19. Beau

Stop it, you spend more money on your horse the i make in 3 year, give me a break.LOL

September 26, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  20. Me IN HOUSTON

Romney 'my heart aches' for those struggling
    yes...his heart aches for those people who think they are 'entitled' to things like food, housing, medical care, you name it
    his heart aches for those whom he thinks take no personal responsibility for their live
    He feels so sorry for those people.
    Why didn't they just ask their parents for some money to start a business like he did?

September 26, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Wake up People!

Sure Willard, your heart aches so much you say we think we're victims. The GOP fights tooth and nail not to help the little people. You call President Obama the food stamp president. Would you have looked out for us that lost our jobs during that inept, corrupt, previous administration or would you have said too bad, too sad that you weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth? Do you really think everyone that needs a helping hand and that turns to the govt is happy about having to do it? Have you ever lost your job and the next day realize you have a medical problem but no longer have coverage? Have you ever had to apply for unemployment only to find out you will only be receiving 60% of your income?? No Willard, you know nothing about us little people nor do you care. You said what you said about the 47% because THAT is the real Willard Mittens Robmey.

OBAMA 2012!

September 26, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  22. Marty, FL

Romney showed how he really feels deriding nearly half of America at his elitist $50K per plate dinner.

Mitt has no worry for the 47%, which includes our seniors, hardworking Americans, veterans, etc.

Obama/Biden 2012–for all Americans

September 26, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  23. truth hurts

It is pretty simple people. If you want more record unemployment, more record deficits, more people on food stamps, more class warfare, more goivernment control of your lives and healthcare, vote for Obama. If you want to stop the madness of the last 4 years, vote for Romney.

September 26, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. mcskadittle

I read this as "my heart aches for you but buck up buttercup"

September 26, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  25. mcskadittle

Hey Mitt, what is the difference between a loophole and welfare, both are getting money from the government

September 26, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |