Entire Obama ad made from controversial Romney remarks
September 27th, 2012

Entire Obama ad made from controversial Romney remarks

(CNN) – The latest ad from President Barack Obama's re-election campaign pulls exclusively from secretly recorded comments Mitt Romney made calling Americans reliant on government assistance "victims."

Obama's campaign says the 30-second commercial will air in New Hampshire, Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, Nevada and Colorado. It features Romney's comments, which were made at a fund-raiser in May but not revealed until last week, over pictures of working-class Americans.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney is heard saying in the clip. "Who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. And they will vote for this president no matter what."

Adding to his argument about entitlement, Romney said his "job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

The spot is the second from Obama's campaign going after Romney for his secretly recorded comments. The first, which was released earlier this week, also used a narrator to hammer home the Obama team's message.

"Doesn't the President have to worry about everyone?" the narrator asked in the earlier spot.

Romney has defended his remarks, saying they were meant as political analysis rather than an expression of governing philosophy.

"What I'm talking about is a political process," Romney told ABC News Wednesday. "I don't expect to get 100% of the vote, I know I'm not going to get 100%, I hope to get 50 plus percent and make sure that I become the next president. That's what my campaign is focused on. Get those numbers so I could become president and help all the people in the country."

CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. Rick McDaniel

These ads that are taken out of context, are totally dishonest. Obama knows that, but he is, a completely dishonest person, so he doesn't care that they are taken out of context.......if it helps him win.

When people demonstrate they have no integrity, no ethics, and no honesty, it is time to show them the DOOR!

September 27, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. yogi

I wonder why so many people are asking Romney to come up with specific plans, don't wait for the plans because he doesn't have any, he has no idea in how to create jobs, oh and the economy? they will just add a few trillion dollars to the deficit, not to to worry. Oh wait, he has a plan for Social Security and Medicare, he will change them, how? You probably would not recognize the programs but not to worry. The Republicans never liked these programs anyway and now this lovely duo will finally take care of it.

September 27, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  3. John

"demwit

So where's this womens husband? And whose tending the run down farm??
    Oh..., I get it. A white Julia."

Thank you for more attacks on us regular folks. I wish I was rich, didn't have to pay taxes, and could blame less fortunate people for their life station. It must feel good to be a self-righteous Republican who is superior to the rest of America. See you at the polls.

September 27, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  4. dave

Sources confirm that the Obama administration knew from day one that the Sept. 11 attack on the US Consulate in Libya was an act of terror. This news directly challenges the administration's "spontaneous reaction" explanation.

September 27, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  5. Philip

Rommey should simply say. I'm sorry. Americans in need are not victims looking for a handout. I was flat out wrong! Make me President and I will make meracluos conversion and redistribute the wealth!

Swear to God! ;)

September 27, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  6. Ann

Her hair looks good! don't you think she just got her hair done? They don't look poor to me.. why don't they pay federal income taxes?

September 27, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  7. Marty, FL

DP-CA
    I have been reading the news, thanks. Romney refuses to release multiple years of tax returns as every presidential candidate has done in recent history. Sorry, not buying what he's hiding.

Romney won't uphold even half the precedent set by his own father.

September 27, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  8. 1twinsfan

"Obama hasn't raised your taxes. I kinda like being able to fire people. Corporations are people. I'm not concerned about the very poor." And of course, the ultimate - 47% comment.

September 27, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  9. economicsgenious

So Romney basically clearly admits he is going to say what ever will get him elected not what the country needs. There is a big difference there. We don't need someone who will say what ever and do what ever to get elected. We need a president with a back bone, that may even go against the grain ever now and again because sometimes the grain isn't so bright. Simple fact, we survive on more debt as a people then our entire government. Our economy runs on peoples debts not peoples wealth. Just saying.

September 27, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. GI Joe

Some people need to watch other than FOX, or maybe turn the TV off and do a little (or a lot) of research into Mitt's true history. We KNOW you have access to a computer. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Obama/Biden 2012

September 27, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. Larry in Houston

In My honest opinion, I think it's all going to boil down to the debates. Romney's GOT to win those debates, otherwise Obama will be re-elected. I think those polls are incorrect. Take a look at 1980 – the polls had Carter UP 5 or 6 points or more in some polls. Then it was a tie, I mean it came down to the day of the election, then Reagan defeated Carter by a landslide. I honestly think that it WON'T be a Landslide, but I have a "gut feeling" that Romney's going to pull a "squeaker" and defeat Obama. I am talking by the slimmest of margins. I Just hope the supreme court doesn't get involved, otherwise, this country will be ticked off, if a situation like that comes up again. If obama expects to win, he needs to wake up those 18 to 30 yr. olds, which I doubt will turn out for him, this time ( hopefully I'm wrong) That's why he needs to go on kimmel / the view / leno / letterman, once more, in the next 20 days or so. ( most of the 18 -30 yr. olds don't even know this is an election yr, let alone they don't know who's running for Prez) Otherwise, Obama's SUNK !!
    Vote Democrat – 2012 ( for us "working" Middle Class )

September 27, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. FedUp

Obviously they "didn't build it themselves".

September 27, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |