Ryan: 'I'm not counting on a gaffe' from Biden
September 30th, 2012

Ryan: 'I'm not counting on a gaffe' from Biden

(CNN) – GOP vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan said Sunday he's not counting on gaffes from Vice President Joe Biden when they debate on October 11.

"I don't think he will. You know he doesn't do that in debates. The gaffes - he's kind of legendary for this - that's not in these kind of situations," Ryan said on "Fox News Sunday." "He's a very disciplined person when he speaks in these kinds of situations. He doesn't produce gaffes in these moments. Those are when he's off the cuff."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As for his own debate preparation, Ryan said he's not worrying about coming up with creative lines - he's just going to be himself.

"I'm not really a line guy. I'm more of a gut guy," Ryan said. "I believe in what I believe. I do what I do. And I really believe in the policies we're providing, that we're pursuing. And at the end of the day, I'm just going to go in there and be me."

Ryan has been preparing with former Solicitor General Ted Olson, who is playing the part of Biden in mock debates.

Ryan said Biden has excellent debate skills, so his plan is not to try to rattle Biden, but to simply lay out the Romney-Ryan vision for America.

"What I hope to achieve is to give people an alternative - a very different governing philosophy, different policies. And Joe is very good on the attack. Joe is very good at trying to confuse the issues so that the person leaves the debate confused about who stands for what. My job is to make sure that they're not confused about what we stand for and what they stand for," said Ryan.

The vice-presidential debate will be held at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.

Filed under: 2012 • Paul Ryan
  1. jen

you do enough damage to yourself by opening your mouth and spouting lies to the american people. Hopefully, the american people will see right through you and send you packing.

September 30, 2012 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  2. Indy

Everytime Ryan opens his mouth lies fall out and he will put the final nail in the coffin at the debates because you can't get away with lying in a debate so its over for Romney Ryan on Oct 3

September 30, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  3. kabong30

Well, unfortunately, they didn't see through them sooner and the guy has been VP for a term now. OH WAIT! You were talking to Ryan, weren't you. Sorry, you said lies and I immediately thought of Biden.

September 30, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. Grow up already...

Has this REALLY what it comes down to? This is how we choose our President? Catch him saying something he doesn't mean to say and doesn't believe? Pitiful...

September 30, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  5. GI Joe

Ryan is nothing but lies. He and Mitt both.

Don't trust them two feet.

Obama/Biden - early voting starts in 2 days.

September 30, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  6. GI Joe

Maybe Ryan and Romney should debate each other first -- they just aren't on the same lies yet.

September 30, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  7. Borderless

Ryan doesn't need Biden's gaffes to trounce him in a debate, but I'm still looking forward to a few of them from the worst vice president ever.

September 30, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  8. vic , nashville ,tn

Let me finish Ryan statement
    “I am not counting on a gaffe from Biden” because gaffes from Romney whispering in my ear
    “I don’t care about 47%” , “10000 dollars bet” , “self deportation”, “I like firing people”, “corporation are people” , “I'm running for office, for Pete's sake, I can't have illegals.”

September 30, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  9. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

Start packing your bags Ryan! Your days of "representing" the people are over.
    OBAMA 2012!

September 30, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. I'M JUST SAYING TOO...

A gaffe from Vice President Biden on his worst day would still be better and more honest than anything you would have to offer on your best day! You should not be spending your time worrying about what our Vice President is going say, you SHOULD on the other hand be worried that your running mates wife is questioning his mental stability!!! I mean she IS closer to him than anybody, so she should know the real deal. Don't worry about VP Biden, he is doing a GREAT job which is why President Obama chose him. Get to making sure your guy is not about to have a net dropped on him!!!!

September 30, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  11. Lyla M

You wouldn't catch Biden lying about his marathon times. No credibility here.

September 30, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  12. Justin

It's pretty sad in the USA when a Romney/Ryan ticket is even considered by a major party. Really?... These are the two best Republicans we could find?

September 30, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  13. Anonymous

"What I hope to achieve is to give people an alternative – a very different governing philosophy, different policies."

No doubt. Just ask the Catholic Bishops what THEY think of Ryan's different governing philosophy, different policies.

September 30, 2012 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. Ray E. (Georgia)

This election is STILL about jobs! You want more of what you currently have Obama's your man. You want the Nanny State, Obama's your man. You want Fiscal Responsibility Romney's your man. The huge mess in Washington need real Adults in charge. That would be Romney/Ryan.

September 30, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  15. myviewis

I look forward to Joe Biden and his propaganda.

September 30, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. Karl Jonas

Borderless
    ---

Worst VP ever? hahahahahaha! Worse than Spiro Agnew, who had to resign because he was so corrupt? Worse than Dan Quayle, Mr. "Potatoe" head? Worse than VP Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook"? Worse than Dick Cheney, who lied us into war and exposed covert CIA agents?

I could go on but for people like Borderless American history stops 10 minutes ago.

September 30, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  17. Ed

Ray E, mitt is in debt with his own campaign, hides money in off shore accts and we should trust him with our money lol, I will pass on all that bro

September 30, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. Anonymous

So, Ryan. Are you going out there to promote yourself, or the top of your ticket, Mr. Romney? Sounds like the former. As far as your policies ... well, they suck for just about everyone in America who doesn't make a couple million dollars worht of accrued yearly interest income.

September 30, 2012 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  19. once upon a horse

hopefully Biden will catch Ryan in one of his untruths and see how he can wiggle out of it. That should be very interesting.

September 30, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  20. Ray E. (Georgia)

Aw Gee Ed,
    It's your choice. You have a job-good job today? Hope it's there 2 years from now if Obama is re-elected. Just last week 16 thousand got laid off from Bank of America. But, the Private Sector is doing Fine, You Didn't Build that, amd We can't change Washington from the Inside. Hell, we can't do anything from Washington. No Budget for the last 4 years. If Obama is your leader light a fire under his ass and get him moving! Oh, that is going to happen in November. R and R. Pass that on Bro. And remember all Republicians vote on teusday, ann democrats vote on wednesday!! If they can remember what to do.

September 30, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. Gurgyl

GOP is gone with the wind. Dead in next election for sure. Yes, on Obama12.

September 30, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. TheTraveler

I'd rather hear Biden's gaffes than Ryans "half-truths" ...

September 30, 2012 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  23. Anonymous

@Grow up already...

______________________________________________
    What????????????? People say what they really mean when they think nobody is paying attention,

September 30, 2012 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  24. WhereIsPalin

Vote RYAN / romney.........PALIN / mccain all over again.

"We are the survivors when you ask for anyone but Obama".

September 30, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Chris

U look at obamas past and present u no he lies to the american people all the time. Obamas a social who wants to ruin this country just look at the facts but u dems want u believe ure god obama hes ruined this country watch news feed for all he makes it clear what he wants to do and none of the news media calls him out. And when u show dems the facts they change the subject or blame someone else. Everything obama wants to do is the same that ussr and china has done to there people and they combined have killed 100's millon people.u need to wake up dont listen to them look up the facts and ull see ure great obamas going to ruin america.

September 30, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |