Ryan: 'I'm not counting on a gaffe' from Biden
September 30th, 2012

Ryan: 'I'm not counting on a gaffe' from Biden

(CNN) – GOP vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan said Sunday he's not counting on gaffes from Vice President Joe Biden when they debate on October 11.

"I don't think he will. You know he doesn't do that in debates. The gaffes - he's kind of legendary for this - that's not in these kind of situations," Ryan said on "Fox News Sunday." "He's a very disciplined person when he speaks in these kinds of situations. He doesn't produce gaffes in these moments. Those are when he's off the cuff."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As for his own debate preparation, Ryan said he's not worrying about coming up with creative lines - he's just going to be himself.

"I'm not really a line guy. I'm more of a gut guy," Ryan said. "I believe in what I believe. I do what I do. And I really believe in the policies we're providing, that we're pursuing. And at the end of the day, I'm just going to go in there and be me."

Ryan has been preparing with former Solicitor General Ted Olson, who is playing the part of Biden in mock debates.

Ryan said Biden has excellent debate skills, so his plan is not to try to rattle Biden, but to simply lay out the Romney-Ryan vision for America.

"What I hope to achieve is to give people an alternative - a very different governing philosophy, different policies. And Joe is very good on the attack. Joe is very good at trying to confuse the issues so that the person leaves the debate confused about who stands for what. My job is to make sure that they're not confused about what we stand for and what they stand for," said Ryan.

The vice-presidential debate will be held at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.

Filed under: 2012 • Paul Ryan
  1. john

I can't wait to see Paul Ryan destroy that goof ball Biden in their debate. It should be fun to watch

September 30, 2012 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. Woman In California

Well, this should be interesting, because no one really knows what the two of you stand for and November is fast approaching.

Watching MTP this morning, Chris Christie couldn't answer one single question about what the two of you plan to do to benefit the American people. Instead, he changed the subject and pointed blame at the president. This kind of "blame game" is getting tired and won't work on a national stage where (undecided) voters want answers. People who need jobs want to know how YOU plan to do that, people who are concerned about MediCare and social security want to know EXACTLY what YOU plan to do with those programs. You'll find out in the end, Vice President Biden is well aware of these issues and in the end, it will be YOU left standing there, portrayed as the pathological liar you are. The silver lining for you is that you only have one debate to go down in embarrassment and your over-hyped career will be over.
    Good riddance.

September 30, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. PK

Biden is Biden and we like him that way!. He does not lie. or tell us what wewant to hear. He says it like it is!

September 30, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. Charlie

In order to know who the 'worst Vice-President ever' was, you would have to be about 250 years old.

September 30, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. Truth Partner 12

I can see that the PAID BLOGGERS talking point for today is to paint Congressman Ryan as dishonest. Chicago politics at its best Axelrod.

September 30, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  6. don in albuquerque

Both "stench" and "stench jr." better finish the debate with themselves and each other first. Palin all over again.

September 30, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. JC in Western US

I'm a Democrat and I hold my breath every time Biden opens his mouth in an important setting. We Democrats kind of expect Biden to say something funny but politically stupid. So if it happened, it won't be a shock. But I think that it's what Ryan says without screwing up that most people will attend to.

September 30, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Which policies will Ryan be debating - his Ayn Rand budget or his 14 year deficit hawk voting experience? Mitt Romney's 47%er policies, or Mitt Romney's severely conservative policies?

There is just too much for Ryan to even begin to understand the consequences of his and Romney's prior admissions right now. No wonder he is already blaming the media for what is going to be a very difficult debate.

It really isn't going to matter what "new" policy debate Romney/Ryan might attempt to offer. They - both of them - have already shown just how incompetent they are in either ... (1) trying to lie their way into office, or ... (2) their own inability to understand that a unusually small handful of America wants FOX News to tell them what is or isn't "important" to their own personal needs, and that America beyond FOX News is quite capable of thinking for itself.

September 30, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Liz

Ryan, today on a Fox interview you couldn't even explain the math involved in Mitt Romney's tax plan. You say "your job is to make sure the public is not confused on what we stand for". I have to say you're doing horribly at your job and you only have you and your running mate to thank for that.

September 30, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Charlie from the North

Look here you little punk Ryan. Joe Biden is twice the man you are. He could make 30 gaffes and still mop the floor with you. You know why? Because his gaffes are just that, mistakes. But what the press keeps calling your gaffes are really about how you feel and how much a complete jerk you are.I would not vote for you or your slimy boss for any elective office ever. You are out of your league. You are a bug on Joe Biden's windshield and he is just about to hit the wipers.

September 30, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. once upon a horse

@ Truth Partner 12

Hey I'm NOT a paid blogger and nobody needs to pay me anyway to paint Ryan as a liar along with Romney. Even Newt Gingrich called Romney a LIAR and that is saying much coming from the likes of him. Typical reaction on the far right when targets of critics it's everybody's fault but yours. Just blame that "evil left wing media"

September 30, 2012 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  12. Lizzy10

I love Joe Biden and he could probably shoot someone in front of me and I would probably still love him.

September 30, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  13. Tex71

Ryan, Romney, and the GOP in general are counting on the ignorance of the general public. They are – obviously – still not used to the novel concept that their lies can be fact-checked and played back on video. That is why they are losing.

September 30, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  14. Marie MD

I think our Vice President Biden will do a very good job but I do believe that the biggest joke on stage will be the lyan altar boy.
    Another one, like the twit, who stood for something then sold his soul to rove and norquist.

September 30, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. Chris

I kind of expect a gaffe from Biden (as I always did from Reagan), but I also expect Ryan to avoid giving specifics on how he'll make his bullet points work (esp where cuts will be made to fed spending, and which loopholes/deductions will end for high-enders/the middle class). What Ryan/Romney don't say is hurting them much more than gaffes by Biden or Obama (who may make errors, but are not prone to alienating entire voting blocs).

September 30, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. Jessie P.

No matter how the debates go, people better wake up because the choice is simple. If you want to lose your social security, medicare, pay higher taxes, give wealthier people more money, and have less for college education and less for your kids/grandkids, then vote for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. If you want the country to move forward and keep your medicare, social security, pay only the taxes you can afford, have money for your kid's college, have your kids/grandkids be able to buy a house someday, then vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. We are registered Republicans and we check the facts. We do not rely on Fox News because they have one agenda and it is to lie to promote the Republicans. We cannot vote for a party (Republicans) who do not even want people to come out and vote. There is no voting fraud ... the kind they are yelling about. They are not Christians ....... they don't want to help the poor or middle class............their agenda is to make the rich richer. Wake up America!!!

September 30, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. Mittens

We can all count on ryan lying again.

September 30, 2012 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. economics&history

i hope Biden mentions the hypocrisy glaring as it is to attack Obama and accuse him of not being a christian , the the republicans put up not a christian but a complete heretic a Mormon in mitt Romney .

September 30, 2012 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  19. The Right Left

Ryan blamed President Obama for Romney's bad poll numbers. These people just cant hel themselves out of a bad situation. How will they run the country?

September 30, 2012 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  20. shuman

Rep. Ryan will do a great job of showing an alternative to redistributive ideology, untethered Big Government, and out of control spending financed by inflationary monetary expansion.

September 30, 2012 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  21. anony mous

Joe is Joe, a real honorable man, and you Ryan are simply not that kind of man. I see it in your eyes, they are not how my Grandfathers eyes used to look. They are deceitful and I trust you not.

September 30, 2012 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  22. ted

Joe's gaffes are funny. Mitt's gaffes are actually things he believes. Ryans gaffes are ignorant.

September 30, 2012 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  23. jose perez

You mean,like you calling the american people too stupid to understand your economic plan. A gaffe like that

September 30, 2012 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  24. Corey

This debate will be the most fun to watch. Paul Ryan debating Joe Biden? It will be like watching a chemical engineer debate a house plant.... I'm not its even a good idea for Biden to hold scissors without supervision. Does Obama really want this debate to happen?

September 30, 2012 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  25. Michael

I hope Ryan can time his debate speech better than his marathons?!

September 30, 2012 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |