Ryan notes campaign ‘missteps,’ claims media bias
September 30th, 2012

Ryan notes campaign ‘missteps,’ claims media bias

(CNN) - GOP vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan acknowledged the Republican campaign's "missteps" on Sunday, calling Mitt Romney’s now-notorious “47%” comments “inarticulate,” while still defending the crux of his running mate’s argument.

Ryan also took the media to task for what he called bias against conservatives.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Appearing on “Fox News Sunday,” Ryan said his running mate’s controversial comments were "an inarticulate way to describe what we’re trying to do to create prosperity and upward mobility, and reduce dependency by getting people off welfare, back to work.”

“We've had some missteps," said Ryan, also noting many conservatives' concerns that the campaign is failing to project a clear message to voters. "But at the end of the day, the choice is really clear, and we're giving people a very clear choice."

Romney made the candid "47%" remarks to a group of wealthy donors at a private fund-raiser caught on a secretly recorded video in May. The video was posted online by a left-leaning news organization earlier in September, sparking a firestorm of criticism from both sides of the aisle. Among other hotly contested remarks, the Republican nominee said nearly half of Americans will automatically vote for the president because they are dependent on government and consider themselves “victims.”

Ryan noted that Romney had conceded the lack of "eloquence" in his choice of words, though Ryan also picked up on the argument, blaming Obama for a sluggish economy and what the GOP campaign bills as policies that foster dependency on government.

Ryan also accused the media of having a liberal disposition.

“I think it kind of goes without saying that there's definitely a media bias. We've - look, I'm a conservative person, I'm used to media bias. We expected media bias going into this,” said Ryan.

Asked to cite a specific example of media bias, Ryan demurred, instead asserting that most people who work in the media have liberal political affiliations and, therefore, would want a president who is a Democrat to win.

“I'm not going to go into a tit-for-tat or litigate this thing,” said Ryan. “But as a conservative, I've long believed and long felt that there is inherent media bias. And I think anybody with objectivity would believe that that's the case.”

Filed under: 2012 • Paul Ryan
  1. SoAreU

Ryan said,"But at the end of the day, the choice is really clear, and we're giving people a very clear choice." You most certainly did make it easy RyanObama 2012! ...the ONLY choice of the intelligent.

September 30, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. johnmenacherjr

Sorry here but the only media biased I see is the media love affair for Bishop Romney and lyin ryan. I did'nt even bother when I saw Fox News – what a joke the network that now trivializes suicides on TV LIVE. No wonder these idiot right winger enjoy it so much says a lot. Make s one wonder what they really would do with Medicare, access to the bomb and on and on. I know how I am voting for and for sure it does not include people who have me already classified as given up, WHINERS!

September 30, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  3. Mike in Texas

The Republicans and Fox News have a built in excuse if Romney loses. They will blame the biased media for false polling. This false polling according to Fox and others is too discourage Republicans from going out to vote especially in swing states. They claim the pollsters are intentionally favoring Obama.

September 30, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  4. Richard Hode

Sure, blame the media. What a loser. So, these buffoons want to "[get] people off welfare, back to work." So why did the Republicans send all the jobs to China? That's where they sent the work, the liars and thieves that they are, after milking the companies for whatever they were worth, like Bain and the creep Romney.

September 30, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  5. billsharar

I don't understand why liberals always claim that it's the conservatives who have moved to the right. Is it because abortions and gay marriages used to be planks in the conservative platform? I think not. I remember many Democrats defecting over to the Republican party during the Reagan years. Reagan himself was a Democrat during the Kennedy administration. It is, in fact, the liberals who continue to move left acting like they "remain" in the center. What a ruse.

September 30, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. Rosemary Peppercorn

If only once I could read a story about the Republican candidates without thinking, "What a moron." I'm still waiting for the day.

September 30, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. KC Yankee

What a whiner.

September 30, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  8. Leadermn

Sounds like sore loser to me. Romney and Ryan should look within for the reason they are losing. I have never seen such a poorly run campaign in my life. If they can't run a campaign, how do they really expect to run a nation?

September 30, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  9. Steve

Waht Ryan really means by media bias is he used to get away with this stuff and now he doesn't and it doesn't seem fair. I suppose it doesn't, but that's what happens when you move onto the national stage.

Ryan's fiscal plan only reduces the deficit if you ignore the 7 trillion dollars in new red ink it creates. He says he has a plan to deal with that but refuses to say what it is. This is nothing new. Ryan's plan has had this hole in it from the start, but when he is just a congressman with no real hope of pushing his smoke and mirrors plan, no one cared enough to call him on it in any meaningful way. He preached exclusively to the choir and surrounded himself with folks who nodded a lot and took the same accounting classes Ryan did.

Now, on a much bigger stage, a few reporters are calling him to explain his 7 trillion dollar sleight of hand, and he can't. Paul says that's bias. I'm sure that's how it feels.

September 30, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. Karen Tinker

I love how Romney claims that the 47% will not accept responsibility when even their own campaign blames the media rather than accepting responsibility for their failed campaign ... wow!

September 30, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. max

They’re going to defend that garbage to the end … they’ve got NOTHING … this is going to be a landslide and lyin’ ryan going to have to crawl back to that mistake Wisconsin and cry in his bowl of cheese

September 30, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  12. Mike in Texas

Can anyone tell me any state voting laws that the Republicans have passed that do not hinder voting rights but rather expand them?

Photo ID laws
    Restricting Registration laws
    Reducing early voting laws
    Outlawing churches from transporting voters.

Why do Republicans want to discourage voting?

Oh that's right because the more people who vote the better Democrats do.

Please spare me the voter fraud garbage. They can't even prove cases of voter fraud.

September 30, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  13. Notso

In the famous words of Steven Colbert:
    "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

September 30, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  14. Emmittkitty

Good grief.....missteps? How about a total lack of truth? Ryan went out of his way to lie during the RNC and thought he could get away with it; just as he thought making himself a sub three hour marathon man would improve his image. Why should anyone believe Lyin Ryan? Biased media my foot. Romney and Ryan have told so many lies and made so many gaffes that they can't keep track of them....not presidential material.

September 30, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. Mighty Mighty Mittens

Funny how this whining little victim doesn;t think it biased when the mdeia misrepresent him as an "intellectual" (an insult to all intellectuals) or a "policy whiz" (an insult to anyone who has more knowledge than they got in middle school civics).

But of course when the media reports verbatim what ryan and romney say it is somehow "biased" because no one should know what they REALLY inted to do to the country if they ever get their grubber power hungry mittens on the levers of power.

September 30, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  16. Joe

I rarely post anything but I feel motivated to put this out there because the vast majority of people become so irrational when they disagree politically with something. I say that to say, the media is definetly biased, and if I had more space I could give you a dissertation on why that is arguably productive for the evolution of a society. Regardless, the media has a liberal bias. But don't take it from me, check out the UCLA study from 2005 regarding the liberal media bias. Even if you still disagree, you will at least find it interesting. And if you just can't get enough of media bias info, check out Herman and Chomsky's theories on media bias. Very interesting topic, but I maintain that there is a liberal media bias. To credit CNN, my instincts have always told me that they are the most fair network among news outlets, save for Jim Lehrer.

September 30, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  17. hugh64

Of course the media are biased. They have brains.

September 30, 2012 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. dina

Whine, whine, whine, The press reports what it sees and hears.

September 30, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. ohioan

Media bias?It's called telling it like it is and you guys can't defend your moronic stances on just about every issue. The only clear media bias is Fox News. Has lyin' Ryan ever heard of Rush Bimbo and Glenn Beck? Oh yeah, they don't count, I suppose.

September 30, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. hugh64

Of course the media are biased. They didn't park their brains at the door.

September 30, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. Tara Parsons

So media bias is now a conservative value?

September 30, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  22. Mike

Hey media, quit using our own words against us! Stop listening when we say something stupid that we honestly believe to be true!

September 30, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. SDG66

Oh good, we're already getting to the finger-pointing stage. As he whines I realize that one of the biggest missteps was choosing Ryan as the VP candidate in the first place.

September 30, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. buckthorn

"...there is inherent media bias. And I think anybody with objectivity would believe that that's the case"

LMAO.

Another blindly idiotic and ridiculous assertion by Ryan. He wouldn't know objectivity if it hit him in the face. republicans have long used the cry of "media bias" as a crutch to try and blame their losses on someone else. Paulie, you and the rest of your foolish Ayn Rand groupies are going down, my friend.

September 30, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. dssmith

What exactly s clear and concise about Romney. He is hiding his tax reform plans, except the tax cuts for the rich. He hasn't revealed anything about what tax deductions he sould take away from the middle class to pay dor it. Oh, and there is that tax return and Medicare thing.

They think they can bob, weave and be the anti=Obama and win. The polls say they won't do it but they think they are somehow biased too.

September 30, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |