CNN Poll: Obama at 70% among Latino voters
October 2nd, 2012

CNN Poll: Obama at 70% among Latino voters

(CNN) – The latest national survey of likely Latino voters shows President Barack Obama retaining a big lead over rival Mitt Romney in the key voting demographic, matching the level of support he received from Latinos in 2008.

The poll also showed a majority of Latinos said the economy was a more important issue than immigration, and indicated enthusiasm among Latinos is lower than it is among non-Latino whites.

Tune to CNN for Wednesday's presidential debate coverage starting at 7 p.m. ET on CNN TV, CNN.com and via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. Web users can become video editors with a new clip-and-share feature that allows them to share favorite debate moments on Facebook and Twitter.

Obama enjoys the backing of 70% of likely Latino voters, according to the CNN/ORC International survey, slightly higher than the 67% of Latinos who voted for him in 2008. Republican nominee John McCain garnered 31% of the 2008 Latino vote. In 2004, 53% of Latinos went for the Democratic nominee John Kerry over the 44% who went for President George W. Bush, according to national exit polls.

In Tuesday's poll, Romney wins support from 26% of Latino voters questioned.

Obama's approval rating has improved markedly among Latinos since 2010, the poll indicated. He stood at 57% approval two years ago, and was at 68% in Tuesday's poll. Twenty-eight percent of Latinos disapproved of the job Obama is doing as president, compared to 41% who disapproved in 2010.

When asked to rate their enthusiasm for voting on Election Day, 24% of Latinos said they were extremely enthusiastic, compared to 25% who said very enthusiastic, 24% who said somewhat enthusiastic, and 14% who said they were not enthusiastic.

Those numbers are lower than the enthusiasm figures for non-white Latinos, as measured in a CNN/ORC poll taken at the end of September. In that survey, 41% of non-Latino whites said they were extremely enthusiastic about voting in November.

A Pew Hispanic Center report released Monday predicted getting eligible Latino voters to the polls in November would provide the campaigns with a challenge. The report indicated a record 23.7 million Latinos are eligible to vote November 6, but that the turnout rate for the group in 2008 – 50% - was lower than that of black voters (65%) and white voters (66%).

In Tuesday's CNN/ORC survey, 44% of Latino adults rated the economy as their top issue, while immigration policy came in a distant second at 14%. Asked to choose between the economy and immigration, nearly three quarters of Latinos – 74% - said the economy was more important. Twenty-three percent said immigration.

Broken down by topic, 50% of Latinos said unemployment was the top economic issue facing the country. Nineteen percent named the federal deficit, and 15% said gas prices.

Large majorities of Latinos named Obama as the candidate who would better handle the issues they rate as most important – 68% said the president would better handle the economy generally, and 69% said Obama would better handle unemployment.

On immigration policy, Obama's lead was even greater: 74% said the president would better handle the hot button issue, compared to 20% who named Romney.

The CNN poll was conducted by ORC International with telephone interviews of 601 adult Latinos, in English and Spanish, between September 25 and October 1. The sampling error was plus or minus 5.5 percentage points for likely voters, and 4 percentage points for all Latino adults.

CNN's Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Filed under: 2012 • CNN/ORC International poll • Latinos • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. Alicia

What difference does it make who's vote he has?.... he's been "selected" by bilderberg to stay in office another 4 years... votes at this point are meaningless in our fraudulent election system. It's been hijacked.

You think I'm delusional?... just wait & see.

October 2, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. Sniffit

"If anyone half decent ran... he wouldn't have a chance in hell to win."

While most people consider that to be complete nonsense and a sour grapes line of dungball rationalization, we certainly do recognize that the MSM will be helping the GOP/Teatrolls nurse their wounds after November by helping them play up that argument. "Oh, we would've won if it weren't for Mittens sucking so bad." Yeah, right....whatever helps you sleep at night.

October 2, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. TparTpatriot

Yeah? Well guess what. Romney has over 53% of support from hardworking Americans so the 70% that are lazy bums can go back to Mexico. The 30% that value hard work can stay here.

October 2, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. redrod

How can this be? He treats them like a lower class hobby. He is instrimental in killing their citizens. Guess they will get what they deserve.

October 2, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. Dan

What about Hispanic White people?

October 2, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Obama is for Latinos, how about President Obama caring about Americans? If anyone thinks this economy is good, then they deserve the same administration in the White House.......When the playing field is equal, no media bias, then things would be different......The country is going to go broke, the one to manage our job situation better is Romney, so vote for Obama and cut off your nose to spite your face.......

October 2, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. Sly

All Hispabic-Americans should HATE rich White Republicans who spit in their face.

All African-Americans should also.

Frankly, ALL people of color should despise the Republican party – Rich White Racists.

Any doubts? Read this blog and you'll see what I mean.

October 2, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  8. Matthew emmanuel

Obama is not worthy again am a black and by what obama is doing its shows that he does not allow God rules in which i hate,down obama up romney

October 2, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. tee

I wonder if they are overwhelmingly supporting mr. obama because he is black..

October 2, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  10. DJ

70% hispanic support? That is strange since we are a large hispanic family which held a recent reunion with over 60 adults attending and when politics were discussed every adult there voiced strong support of Romney over Obama. Many proclaimed their extended family and friends felt the same way. These are ordinary hardworking people that do vote. Where is CNN getting there numbers, maybe in low voting barios of LA?

The polls are deceptive, Obama is not as well liked as the media would have you believe.

October 2, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. chunk a chunk

Only 70%?

October 2, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. Pat

It's a shame that this 70% can't see that Obama is actually keeping them down. Instead of striving to reach their full potential, they are accepting the hand outs from Obama that will lead them nowhere. Latinos will not progress under the Obama administration.

October 2, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. William

Sure, they will vote for Obama. Soon Hispanics, much like American blacks, will find themselves more and more in ghettos and only needed during an election.

October 2, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. Gomez_Addams

What would you expect, with an average IQ of room temperature?

October 2, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. SokrMom

I'm having a poll fatigue, even though I support Obama. Couldn't CNN create a special "Poll Results" section off in a corner, where we can all ignore it? The only poll I am interested in is the one in November in which we will all take part.

October 2, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. Anonymous

These numbers represent the 'knell of parting day' for the GOP and Mitt

October 2, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Brent Jacobs

Well, duh! Most of them just enjoy the handouts America gives them, and the rest are upset with how "tight" our immigration policies are and want to bring their whole families up here... Break the bipolar paradigm and vote third-party. Vote Gary Johnson! Live Free!!

October 2, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. clowninchief

Your days are numbered liberals. We will not stand for your betrayal of America anymore. GO to a country that governs the way you want, it's not America. Polls or otherwise, your days are numbered.

October 2, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. Notarichboy

Is this 70% of legal latinos or the illegal latinos that don't need an ID to vote?

October 2, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. jjay

Nuts!! I thought maybe all that face painting Romney did would pay off...

October 2, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. MJC

Let's see what party should I support? My Grandfather came here during WW II to work on a farm in California. My father nad mother were born in the states and I was born in and currently live in Iowa. The Democratic party embraces me. I am not saying they are perfect, they could do a lot of things better. The other party calls me illegal and treats me like I don't belong in this country. I actually wish I spoke better Spanish as it would help me in my job. As a Latino born and raised in this country I support the President as does my family. I'm glad I live in a swing state so our votes count!

October 2, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. cpeters

Ah yes, another CNN "Poll". These left wing media "polls" are a fraud bubble that is going to get exposed. Its the only reason Obama has a "lead" over Romney.

October 2, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. sapo

funny I am hispanic don't know anybody who is voting for Obama. Obama and the media has this elections won already we will see in Nov. I wonder what the headline is going to say. He is not winning Florida

October 2, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. Latino

I'm latino and I'm not voting for Mr. Obama. Neither are my friends and family who are latinos. Mr. Obama would love for us to depend on Government and that's what he is trying to do. The only real poll is on November 6. Romney 2012 for real change. I did build my business!!

October 2, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  25. Anonymous

To GOmez Addams.....its 110 degrees here in Arizona and thank you for the compliment on my average IQ of 120. And yes I am Latino.

October 2, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |