Judge temporarily halts voter identification measure
October 2nd, 2012

Judge temporarily halts voter identification measure

(CNN) - A Pennsylvania judge ruled Tuesday that state officials cannot enforce a new voter ID law in next month's presidential election.

Filed under: 2012 • Pennsylvania
  1. 1twinsfan

So much for winning PA, huh, Romney? This judge made the right call.

October 2, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  2. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

The rule of LAW has won and JUSTICE has been served. Willard's prediction that he may win a democrat stronghold has just gone up in smoke. Oh, BTW Pennsylvania Secretary of State, your plan has backfired on you.

October 2, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

Yahoo! The only party with voter fraud this time around is the Holier Than Thou Rebub/tea party!
    Yes, little Mitt, there is karma.

October 2, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. once upon a horse

oops there goes Mitt's chance of winning PA!

October 2, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Lionel

Voter Suppression just got a setback. Look, I have experienced this type of tactic.

It is not just Voter ID that is required but it is an ID that has your address on it. This rules out a Passport as your address is not listed, a veterans card, social security card, student id.

Thank goodness for this Judge. It was the right call Mr. Justice...

October 2, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  6. average joe

I guess the GOP can kiss Pennsylvania good bye this time. The whole point of the voter id portion of the law was to disenfranchise Democratic voters. The court did the right thing.

October 2, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  7. Marty, FL

Good to hear. To heck with the state legislator trying to pull a last-minute dirty trick for Romney.

ID's for future elections will allow enough time for voters to obtain the state identification.

October 2, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. judy

amen finally a judge that is not bias. Forward 2012

October 2, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. scarf

While I have no problem with voter ID laws per se, I believe, if they are to be used, that the acceptable ID be a national ID card. When I suggest this to my conservative associates, they suddenly don't believe that voter fraud is a serious problem.

October 2, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. thetruthandnothingbutthetruth

this is 2012! I can't believe we are even talking about voter suppression! please vote a straight DEM ticket! SEND A MESSAGE!

October 2, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. ThinkAgain: Hey, networks, fact-check the debates in real-time and put it in the crawl!

About time! This voter suppression tactic by the GOP is anti-American and despicable!

October 2, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. Sniffit

Yes, but he said that poll watchers can still ask for the ID. I'd like to see the results of the Teatrolls attempting to send a great white army of poll watchers into downtown Philly. I DARE THEM. /popcorn

October 2, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. Gurgyl

Judge–you are a good man.

October 2, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  14. Phil Thomas

There is nothing wrong with the ID law but the way PA attempted to enforce it and write the law was a clear attempt to disenfranchise voters. Glad the Judge made the right call and hopefully next time it won't be such a blatant attempt to disenfranchise minority voters. Its sad when these guys brag about it the way they do to their million air donors, if there as any doubt that was the kicker.

October 2, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. MaryM

Thank God for clear justice in this case. Repubs/GOP/TP, your blatant attempt at voter suppression proves you are disgusting

October 2, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. Larry Pearson-Graves

Justice and fairness wins in the face of a racially and economically tainted inspired law and minority vote limiting agenda. I applaud the judge for being on the side of justice, equality and the true meaning of the United States Constitution. Let's go Obam / Biden 2012 in PA!!! Let's get those electoral votes for a 2nd term for the middle class and business champions .

P.S. Mitt go run another company like Bain Capitol again and see if you can bring jobs back to the United States this time. Maybe you and Ryan can run again in 2016. Yeah right...

October 2, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  17. NoTeaForMe

So, Mitt, how do you re-tool your vote-stealing strategy in the face of this setback? Guess it's back to Florida, but you've dissed Rick Scott (another GOP tool), so probably not much help coming from there.

Wouldn't it be great if you could take back that 47% remark?

Obama 2012, no question

October 2, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. GI Joe

"Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson, a Republican,"
    -----------------–
    Justice served to the republicans on a silver platter by one of their own. ha h aha ha ha ha ha

Karl Rove (i.e., FLA 2000 and OH 2004) and now PA, will have to search his pointy head from some other sleazy tactics now.

October 2, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  19. Facts don't Lie

I am sure the GOP will call this an "activist judge" since their request so far has been denied. They are losing this in Ohio, Texas, now Penn and having issues down in Florida as well. I have no problem with showing an ID when I vote but some of the ways they wanted people to get IDs was way out of line.

October 2, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  20. CitznUnited

IT appears that the republican strategy of lie, lie, and lie again until it becomes the truth isn't working. So WHen their "message" isn't working, they resort to stealing the elections through voter fraud. intimidation, and suppression. Just my kind of folk. Constitutional all the way, family values (this is what they are teaching their kids- that it is ok to lie, cheat and steal), wave the flag, call others unpatriotic and unAmerican if we disagree. Thank goodness for our court system. We the people will suppress Romney/Ryan at the voting booth. Country first.

October 2, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  21. Denny

Why do democrats require a photo ID to enter their fundraisers and conventions but not to vote? I called a democrat senator's office to Politely ask this question and they hung up on me.

October 2, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. Azzy

Great decision, no reason they can't get IDs in 2013, do it right if it has to be done.

October 2, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  23. Al-NY,NY

Can't wait to hear today's revelations about the GOP and voter registration fraud in all the swing states...

October 2, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  24. Rick McDaniel

Let the voter fraud proceed!

October 2, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  25. Morning Joy

Now I can breathe. I thought I was living my parents,and my life over again with this VOTER SUPPRESSION. I am a 71 year African American and never had a cavalier attitude concerning my VOTING RIGHTS. Obama again/ 2012 !

October 2, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |