What surprised Paul Ryan in VP run?
October 2nd, 2012

What surprised Paul Ryan in VP run?

(CNN) - Rep. Paul Ryan was no stranger to running for office when he was tapped in August to join the GOP presidential ticket.

But the vice presidential candidate said Tuesday morning that he is surprised by one of the differences between this run and his seven previous campaigns for Congress.

Tune to CNN for Wednesday's presidential debate coverage starting at 7 p.m. ET on CNN TV, CNN.com and via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. Web users can become video editors with a new clip-and-share feature that allows them to share favorite debate moments on Facebook and Twitter.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"The security is probably more than I guess I expected," he said in an interview with the Wisconsin radio station WISN. "I never really gave much thought to that but it's a lot more than one would normally expect."

Ryan is accompanied by a Secret Service detail, as is Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

The congressman said he finds the presidential campaign trail moves at "a very fast pace."

"If I'm not doing a town hall meeting, a rally or a finance event, I'm doing local TV," he said in the interview, noting that "I'm on an airplane two or three times a day on average and I do about three states a day on average."

On the personal side, Ryan is known for his focus on fitness, and said that despite the hectic campaign schedule, "I make sure I get my workout in."

Filed under: 2012 • Paul Ryan • Wisconsin
  1. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

If Lyin Ryan and Robmey are elected, they'll outsource the Secret Service and have private security firms like Haliburton and XE on the payroll.

October 2, 2012 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

I sure can't wait until this election is over so we can give you a one-way ticket back to Wisconsin with no chances of ever returning to Washington.

October 2, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. Sniffit

"What suprised me the most was that people started actually paying attention to whether I was lying or not and I actually got called out for doing a bunch of it. I truly thought getting the nod for VP nominee would give me a free pass for continuing to lie unnoticed and uncriticized just like I've been doing in the House, all while the MSM fawned over me as some sort of genius budget guru, despite the unadulterated horse crap I put in my Pathology of Plutocracy budget."

October 2, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Borderless

If you take away all the silly, childish hate talk like that from frequent offender "Holy Tighty Whities Willard" you won't see anyone offering anything to actually recommend Obama for another term. It's all just regurgitated and mostly fictional garbage from people with such blind devotion to Obama they absolutely refuse to see that basically all he is is Bush with a bad health care package. Really? That's what you want?

October 2, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. ozzie

No one is surprised at lyin' Ryan's statements. He is a very dangerous, small-minded, insulated little man. Beware, America.

October 2, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Thomas

Is he still in high school ?

October 2, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

If you take away all the silly, childish hate talk like that from frequent offenders "Truth Hurts" and " Four and the Door", you won't see anyone offering anything specific to actually recommend Romney for the presidency. It's all just regurgitated and mostly fictional garbage from people with such blind hatred for Obama they absolutely refuse to see that basically all he is is Bush with a bad tax plan and no foreign policy other than opening a third front in Iran. Really? That's what you want?

October 2, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  8. steve harnack

Has anyone ever heard of a VP candidate also running for a fall back position in case they lose? I can't remember anyone ever saying "Hey, if I can't be VP will you at least make me a Congressman?"

October 2, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  9. Woman In California

Just a few more weeks Ryan and your "surprises" will be over. The American people won't be paying for your secret service protection anymore and you will be off our television sets and back home in the wilderness, where you and your 10 year old daughter, can run barefoot through the woods and shoot innocent deer.

Obama/Biden 2012

October 2, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Thomas

steve harnack

Joe" Lieberman / John McCain ?

So true , " Half Measures availed us Nothing "!

Romney / Ryan
    That's not a Choice 2012 .

October 2, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Ol' Lefty

But wasn't he one of the sexy "Young Guns" the GOP was promoting after 2010? Wasn't he the conservative intellectual Romney needed to bring his plan to life for the American people? Wasn't he the guy that'd help Willard carry Wisconsin? Nope, guess not.

October 2, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  12. Beverly - NYC

Poor baby, in 35 days and your life will be back to normal hang in there.

October 2, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  13. truth hurts

The Real Tom Paine... very impressive! Cut and paste plagarism without an original thought. Pretty much par for the course for bama supporters.

October 2, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  14. The REAL Truth...

This would not have surprised him –

Yay, for the legal system in PA !! The Repug supporters are [obviously] clueless over the reality of the intent of this legislation with their "you need an ID when you buy or rent anything" responses. Sure you do, and most people agree. However, the law states that one cannot requires someone to "pay" to vote – NEWSFLASH: – it's called a poll tax and is illegal people. Requiring a million people to get specific sets of picture ids where a cost is associated with getting them – such as paying $14 for a copy of a birth cert – amounts to a poll tax.
    In Texas alone (where the GOP thought this was a slam dunk) there are 254 counties of which 86 do not have locations that provide (or obtain) a valid ID. To travel to one of those that does. incurs a cost == POLL TAX !!

Besides, voter fraud is so marginal that it's basically non-existent (5 convictions out of 52 cases in the last 10 yrs in TX – none of which involved illegals or dead people). This is a thinly veiled attempt by the GOP to reduce potential Dem voter turnout. It's a solution looking for a problem.

And.. to the poster that stated that registration is the issue.. you are correct. ACORN is given a bad rap by the right for so-called fraud. They were never convicted of anything – except by the standard un-educated right wing. So here's the deal, the truth – folks that run Voter Registration drivers are REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW to submit UNCHANGED registration forms they receive, EVEN IF THEY KNOW THE DATA is BOGUS, FLAWED or WRONG !!
    This is to prevent folks from doctoring the forms. ACORN turned in what they received. That's a FACT ! Easily verified.

October 2, 2012 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. The Real Tom Paine

-truth hurts

**************************
    No origanal thoughts? A conservative complaining about that? Geez, I guess you are capable of understanding sarcasm. I just thought the righties were just well-trained parrots, but it appears you do get the fact that your "critiques" are always the same: nasty, poorly conceived propaganda that never persaudes.

October 2, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. Borderless

Recommendations for Mitt Romney beyond the fact that Obama doesn't deserve a second chance:
    Produced SUCCESSFUL universal health care for his state.
    Saved the Olympics in Utah demonstrating exceptional leadership and organizational skills.
    More political experience than Obama had when Obama ran in 2008.
    Demonstrated exceptional business skills–extremely important during our current economy.
    Is absolutely despised by the main stream press, which means he will actually be held accountable for his presidency.
    Better moral fiber than Obama.
    More intelligent than Obama. Bonus: Ryan is vastly more intelligent than Biden.
    More honest than Obama.
    Would not have given a box set of DVD's to the Prime Minister of England in a gift exchange.
    Has not been caught on an open mic saying how he will betray his constituents after they elect him.
    Will not use government resources to issue hush money to government contractors at the risk of thousands of workers' jobs.

October 2, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. Al-NY,NY

"I guess the people outside my district (who don't think for themselves) are actually paying attention to what I say."

October 2, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. Chase

For those saying he's running for Congress as a "fall back" option, you haven't done any research at all. The deadline for candidates to submit their paperwork for this year's election was way before the GOP nomination was settled. Wisconsin law forbids the removal of his name from the ballot because it was already there before he became the VP nominee. So, by law, Ryan is running for Congress in his home district...and will smoke the dem opponent that nobody knows, even in his own home town.

October 2, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. truth hurts

The Real Tom Paine - No origanal thoughts? A conservative complaining about that?
    ==============================================================
    The shear stupidity of the lefties in here is so obvious in your posts it is ridiculous. You are all in here one minute attacking Romney/Ryan for having no plans or solutions and then in the next minute attacking Romney/Ryan for the solutions they put forward.

Ryan is the ONLY one running that has actually put forward solutions in Congress and gotten them voted on and passed. Obama has gotten ZERO votes for ANY of his budget proposals, EVEN FROM HIS OWN PARTY. I mean, how horrendous does a proposal have to be to get not a single vote FOR TWO OR THREE YEARS? Obama is a laughing stock even to many Democrats as attested to in the Woodward book. Getting put on mute by Nancy Pelosi???!!! That pretty much says it all.

October 2, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Pam from Iowa

What he really meant to say was " I am just so surprised that not every American believes the garbage that comes out of my mouth!"

October 2, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  21. swingstater

Oh, come on. The GOP spends most of its time in absolute hysteria trying to check papers of anyone looking vaugely Latino, votes down the DREAM act (they won't even allow Marco Rubio's version) and then they think they can crank out some insultingly insipid political ads and the other things will magically fade away. Please.

(And I guess they don't want to mention that $10+ trillion of that debt the GOP incurred under Bush Jr.)

October 2, 2012 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. ChristopherM

I figured he was going to say his biggest surprise were fact checkers.

October 2, 2012 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. RSVP

Notice what he doesn't say about his campaign agenda. He says that although his campaign trail moves at a fast pace, he makes the time for his daily workout. He never mentions his FAMILY.

October 2, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. I changed my mind

Lucky for Ryan, Mitt made a decision and he can't back away from this one. Yep, he is stuck with Ryan, his backbreaking purposed budget bill and demantling of medicare along with the lies he is caught telling on a weekly basis, Mitt is stuck. LOL

October 2, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

@ BORDERLESS
    -------------------------------------------–
    Are you referring to those Olympics when he was a REGISTERED LOBBYIST and got $1.3 billion in federal dollars? Those games? Yeah, Willard never mentions that part. Sucker!

October 2, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |