What surprised Paul Ryan in VP run?
October 2nd, 2012

What surprised Paul Ryan in VP run?

(CNN) - Rep. Paul Ryan was no stranger to running for office when he was tapped in August to join the GOP presidential ticket.

But the vice presidential candidate said Tuesday morning that he is surprised by one of the differences between this run and his seven previous campaigns for Congress.

Tune to CNN for Wednesday's presidential debate coverage starting at 7 p.m. ET on CNN TV, CNN.com and via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. Web users can become video editors with a new clip-and-share feature that allows them to share favorite debate moments on Facebook and Twitter.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"The security is probably more than I guess I expected," he said in an interview with the Wisconsin radio station WISN. "I never really gave much thought to that but it's a lot more than one would normally expect."

Ryan is accompanied by a Secret Service detail, as is Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

The congressman said he finds the presidential campaign trail moves at "a very fast pace."

"If I'm not doing a town hall meeting, a rally or a finance event, I'm doing local TV," he said in the interview, noting that "I'm on an airplane two or three times a day on average and I do about three states a day on average."

On the personal side, Ryan is known for his focus on fitness, and said that despite the hectic campaign schedule, "I make sure I get my workout in."

Filed under: 2012 • Paul Ryan • Wisconsin
  1. Bill from GA

Just wanted to point out the FACT that the reason so many Americans pay no federal INCOME taxes is because of the tax cuts put n place by George W. BUSH.

And also that most of the benefit of those tax cuts went to the wealthy, whose wealth increase immensely, while the middle and low income stood still or lost ground economically.

October 2, 2012 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  2. USwatcher

Ryan may be surprised about many things...namely...FACTS..or...how many voters WILL NOT be voting for him...Ryan and the GOP is just wrong for America.

October 2, 2012 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  3. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Paul Ryan's big surprise... he did a 26 mile marathon in under 1 hr. This guy is nothing more than a roll of toilet paper.

October 2, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. chuck

BIG surprise Ryan, the lies didn;t work in USA. We are not that dumb....

October 2, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. Help me

I Double Dare anyone to find a smart democrat. Puuuuuuuuu-lease.

October 2, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. amelieandelise

Help Me says: "I Double Dare anyone to find a smart democrat. Puuuuuuuuu-lease"
    Answer: Romney.

October 2, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. Texan2

Paul Ryan: 'We've had some missteps' in campaign"...so they keep restarting it!

October 2, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  8. Jeckers

To ReginAZ – have you not been keeping up with the news? Perhaps you should read other sites besides CNN. It is already being circulated what the coming tax increases are going to be in 2013. Surprise – many of those 47% that don't pay taxes are going to find themselves with a tax bill next year (or less of a refund). It's not a hypothetical – it starts on January 1, 2013. Why is the Obama Administration not telling us about this? And – it doesn't count the Obamacare tax that 6 million of our low income / middle income families will have to pay because they can't afford the healthcare premiums.

October 2, 2012 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  9. ColoradoJoe

iif it weren't for a few people, I would actually consider Romney. Who are those people that are keeping me from voting for Romney? These:Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Mitch McConnell, Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin. Do I need to say more?

October 2, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. LacrosseMom

That they are LOSING! RAynd, is another GOP politician devoid of compassion and a liar.

October 2, 2012 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. ObaWendon

He must be surprised that he needs to answer a question, not just try to change the subject to Obama bashing! He wouldn't even give a straight answer to that reporter who pushed him about the "Fiscal Cliff" he voted for and is now trying to blame on OBAMA! I'd still like to know what it is exactly that Romney/Ryan is planning. They sure have been secret about it. Must be empty promises as usual!

October 2, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  12. average american

So I've been watching CNN 24/7 during this election season. First, I want to say I am NOT a Democrat or a Republican. I am one of those people on the fence. But why is it that all the Republican male politicians look like untrustworthy, white collar crooks? And the women sound like one of the stepford wives, regurgitating what they've been programmed to say? I'm not particularly impressed by the Dems but the Reps just all look like one of those shady salesmen who will just about say anything to get you on their side. Romney's camp has changed their campaign message so much that I just have no words for all their shadiness. Not only do I NOT believe anything Romney is saying but I have no respect for people who keep switching up their story just to get voters. Have some conviction and stand for something, Mr. Romney! All that's coming through clearly to me is that the Republicans just want to kick Obama out of office at any cost and that's just not the kind of person I want running the country. I want a leader who is not JUST experienced at building the economy but a president who represents all the greatness of our country and what it stands for and that's NOT Mitt Romney.

October 2, 2012 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  13. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Ryan is only slightly better prepared to be one heartbeat from the Presidency than Palin was. At least he knows what a newspaper looks like. However, as he has lived off the public for years (SS Survivors Benefits that paid him through his BA, and the government contracts his family's construction company keeps getting), he should at least demonstrate more empathy for those not as fortunate to have lived off the taxpayers as he did. Then again, none of the candidates who ran this year has a clue where to even find the word empathy in the dictionary, let alone experience it.

October 2, 2012 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  14. timz

Ryan was most surprised to discover that while running for the Vice Presidency his personal best in the marathon had fallen to a bit below 2 hours . . . a world record. He's been pretty modest about it, considering.

October 2, 2012 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. MrHighMighty

Historically, the loser VP candidate always fades into obscurity and/or disgrace, but Ryan might have a future as an actor in vampire movies.

October 2, 2012 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  16. Salma

In reply to Bill from GA – The democrats were the majority in both houses and had the white house, why didn't they correct the tax code and be part of the solution instead of continuing to blame Bush. Remember after the 9/11 attacks
    some of the economic manuvers were done to generate growth. No one wanted to fly. Everyone wanted to stay home and feel secure. If you check on google that are many articles that would dispute your critique of the Bush tax cuts. Even famous people did commercials encouraging people to visit New York, Calif. Bush wasn't perfect, but neither is Obama. After the attacks Bush addressed the nation. After amb Stevens was tortured and killed, Obama went to Las Vegas to campaign. I have always payed my fair share of taxes and believe I am blessed to live in this great nation.

October 3, 2012 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  17. Bart Midwood

Ryan has a keen mind and a fine moral sense
    and will be a first-rate Vice President.

October 3, 2012 07:08 am at 7:08 am |