KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama
October 3rd, 2012

KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama

(CNN) - The home appliance brand KitchenAid apologized Wednesday evening for a political tweet sent out from its official account during the presidential debate.

The tweet has been removed but at least a dozen retweets of the post showed it read, "Obamas gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! 'She died 3 days b4 he became president.'"

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The company apologized in a later post from the same account.

"Deepest apologies for an irresponsible tweet that is in no way a representation of the brand's opinion," the tweet read in part.

The original post would have been in reference to a comment President Barack Obama made during the debate as he spoke about the importance of programs such as Medicare and Social Security.

"You know, my grandmother - some of you know - helped to raise me," Obama said. My grandfather died a while back. My grandmother died three days before I was elected president. And she was fiercely independent. She worked her way up, only had a high school education, started as a secretary, ended up being the vice president of a local bank. And she ended up living alone by choice."

"And the reason she could be independent was because of Social Security and Medicare," he continued.

Cynthia Soledad, KitchenAid's senior director of marketing, said in a statement to CNN: "During the debate tonight, a member of our Twitter team mistakenly posted an offensive tweet from the KitchenAid handle instead of a personal handle. The tasteless joke in no way represents our values at KitchenAid, and that person won't be tweeting for us anymore."

"I am deeply sorry to President Obama, his family, and the Twitter community for this careless error," Soledad said.

READ MORE: CNN Poll: Most watchers say Romney debate winner

READ MORE: Mentions of 'Big Bird' increased 800,000% on Facebook

Filed under: 2012 • Debate • President Obama
  1. Send me your KitchAide

You can send me your KitchAide Mixer if your disgusted!

October 4, 2012 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  2. yasmine

such level of disrepect..and the more I see it the more fired up I am to get family and friends out to the poll

Obama/Biden 2012

October 4, 2012 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  3. Send me your KitchAide

Send me your disgusting kitchenaides!

October 4, 2012 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  4. DPY

boycotting all kitchen aid products now...was a big buyer of their stuff, no longer going to buy kitchen aid products

October 4, 2012 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  5. dave t

All of my kitchenaid stuff goes in the can, tonight!

October 4, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  6. Sadie Grace

Let he who has never made a mistake cast the first stone. An apology has been made. I'm sure there will be damage control. Can we now move on to more important things. Let it go. This is not a national crisis. The outcome of the election could be a national crisis. Priorities please.

October 4, 2012 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  7. Barrie

Obama needs to have his justice department punish Kitchen Aid and fire the employee. This is taking free speech too far when decent people find it insulting or disrespectful. This kind of thing needs to be outlawed!

October 4, 2012 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  8. tony

oh everyone shut up, it obviously wasn't kitchenaid speaking but someone who got onto their twitter. Stop complaining about not ever buying from them again and ignore the remark, it was distasteful but not representative of anything but the person who put it up.

October 4, 2012 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  9. Blilli

I don't know who tweeted that ugly statement, but it came from Kitchen Aid, so I'll do as I wish regarding that company!

October 4, 2012 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  10. Kathy M. Murray

This is the same behavior being demonstrated by the republicans throw rocks and hide your hand... That was ugly and when we harbor real hatred like that it should not be kept open, but cut off just like a lite switch. Romney is only lying until he steps in to cut tax's for the rich and drive out the rest of the teachers and middle class people who are tryong to sustain. Praying for them truley. The flip flopper... He will sya anything to win right now!

October 4, 2012 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  11. Aaron W. Jaco

A foul comment to be sure, but nothing to boycott the company over. I'm sure some careless social media pro sent a personal tweet from the professional account by accident. This has happened to companies before, human error causes individual opinion to appear to be broadcast as corporate message. Impossible to believe the company would endorse the message in this case or that they could be held at fault for the error.

October 4, 2012 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  12. Greg

will never buy a kitchen aid product again.. that is sick

October 4, 2012 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  13. Alex

where can i buy more kitchen aid?

October 4, 2012 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  14. James

That is hilarious I don't care what party you follow that made me laugh pretty damn hard

October 4, 2012 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  15. Stillsleepy

Funny I use to like kitchenaid products. Not anymore.

October 4, 2012 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  16. Bruce A.

" That's not to say it is acceptable or that the person shouldn't be held liable in some way"

That is a joke right? The first amendment covers threats in movies or on a late night entertainment show, against the life of President Bush, but a crude remark, not a threat, directed towards Obama, requires some kind of disciplinary action for a inadvertently reveled private remark?

October 4, 2012 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  17. j-man

whoever wrote that tweet is hilarious and absolutely correct, obama's grandma DID know it was going to be bad! LOL

October 4, 2012 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  18. Robby L

I don't understand why people are calling to boycott the whole company when it was one employee who abused their access to the company's Twitter account.

They were very quick to issue a retraction and an apology.

October 4, 2012 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  19. bree

pathetic

October 4, 2012 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  20. U saidwat

Well said... Time for new appliances. Kitchen aid is not all that

October 4, 2012 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  21. liz

Kitchen Aid how mean spirited and lowball can you get the person who tweeted that comment should be fired before morning.

October 4, 2012 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  22. amanda

Who cares. Free speech. Obama is a socialist that is trying to deploy aerial drones to monitor the citizens of the USA. No one finds this country to be heading in a similar to East Germany?

You should worry less about who insulted Obama and where you are going to find a free country after you have destroyed this one with your ignorance and apathy.

October 4, 2012 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  23. amanda

I will buy KIitchenAid for life!

October 4, 2012 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  24. ag

No more kitchenaide for me

October 4, 2012 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  25. Zadok500

Kitchen Aid is dead to me

October 4, 2012 01:56 am at 1:56 am |