KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama
October 3rd, 2012

KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama

(CNN) - The home appliance brand KitchenAid apologized Wednesday evening for a political tweet sent out from its official account during the presidential debate.

The tweet has been removed but at least a dozen retweets of the post showed it read, "Obamas gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! 'She died 3 days b4 he became president.'"

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The company apologized in a later post from the same account.

"Deepest apologies for an irresponsible tweet that is in no way a representation of the brand's opinion," the tweet read in part.

The original post would have been in reference to a comment President Barack Obama made during the debate as he spoke about the importance of programs such as Medicare and Social Security.

"You know, my grandmother - some of you know - helped to raise me," Obama said. My grandfather died a while back. My grandmother died three days before I was elected president. And she was fiercely independent. She worked her way up, only had a high school education, started as a secretary, ended up being the vice president of a local bank. And she ended up living alone by choice."

"And the reason she could be independent was because of Social Security and Medicare," he continued.

Cynthia Soledad, KitchenAid's senior director of marketing, said in a statement to CNN: "During the debate tonight, a member of our Twitter team mistakenly posted an offensive tweet from the KitchenAid handle instead of a personal handle. The tasteless joke in no way represents our values at KitchenAid, and that person won't be tweeting for us anymore."

"I am deeply sorry to President Obama, his family, and the Twitter community for this careless error," Soledad said.

READ MORE: CNN Poll: Most watchers say Romney debate winner

READ MORE: Mentions of 'Big Bird' increased 800,000% on Facebook

Filed under: 2012 • Debate • President Obama
  1. Undecided Voter

I am not a fan of Obama or his policies. However as papafritz57 before me stated, it sometimes goes beyond disgusting when we listen to the radio or watch some of the Republican channels. After the crass way I hear them talk I feel if anything to stand up against such a lack of civility I should vote for Obama!

October 4, 2012 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  2. Heartstealer

I know which company is hiring a social media position tomorrow ...

October 4, 2012 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  3. goodluvv

Disgusting. I don't care if you don't like his policies or him as our President, but have some freaking professionalism and respect.
    No more Kitchen-Aid products for me if this truly came from one of their reps.

October 4, 2012 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  4. Humanity4All

This is exactly a outcome of toxic and hate from GOP cult. This must be taken seriouslly. This is insulting somone who is dear to President and who had been like his real mother in his upbringing. GOP will do anything to divide us and dont be surprised if they continue to deny.

October 4, 2012 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  5. OwenO

I just bought some KitchenAid utensils from Target. I will return them all tomorrow, boycott KitchenAid and Boycott Target if they don't discontinue KitchenAid in their stores.

October 4, 2012 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  6. Crymeariver

I was gonna buy a new fridge, and considering the Kitchen Aid product,.. i'll look at something else.

October 4, 2012 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  7. Harry

Funny, because I was just about to go purchase a new set of KitchenAid kitchen knives tomorrow. However, I won't be buying them now and will go do some research into another company. Guess you should have kept your twitter account silent KitchenAid!

October 4, 2012 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  8. Tami

Disgusting and racist. I'll find a new brand.

October 4, 2012 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  9. George

This also shows how far the republcas will to steal another election. Kitchen aid has a degree of responsibility for those comments too. One would assume that the company would trust its accounts to people with authority and trust. That person or persons certainly had authority to make comments on behalf of the company. I doubt it was a mistake.

October 4, 2012 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  10. blogging out

Take
    them
    out
    of
    business
    and
    watch
    them starve

that s what i would do , had i been Obama

October 4, 2012 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  11. ratatatat1

Looks like GE just won our business. Thanks for making that easier than I thought it would be, KitchenAid.

October 4, 2012 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  12. Mike

Wow – I can see why I'll never get a job in marketing at an American company like KitchenAid. Did they outsource this work to South Africa or just Mississippi?

October 4, 2012 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  13. getrealamericaradio

I better hear that somebody's head rolled over this or they have lost a good customer.

October 4, 2012 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  14. Hopenhimer

Lol, It's only disgusting when it's Obama. If it was Bush, most if not all, the people posting here would be praising KitchenAid.

October 4, 2012 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  15. Apiary

Nope, not giving up my KitchenAid for 1 stupid tweet. The Prez is more mature than that.

October 4, 2012 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  16. stacey

I cant believe anyone would post this at all! Im totally embarassed that I own a KitchenAid product, sorry President Obama and family!

October 4, 2012 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  17. Nile

No more kitchenaid for me, I am done. Why even joke about this? It isn't a joking manner

October 4, 2012 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  18. LYNN

No one really knows what's in a person's heart. However, it appears with all of ones education in this case, they did not learn anything about common sense.

October 4, 2012 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  19. Phillip Hall

Still basking in the glow of the Romney victory tonight, I am still disgusted by this tweet. It embarrasses conservatives like me everywhere.

October 4, 2012 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  20. kenny

this is pretty hilarious since its a persons obvious screw up and they will probably lose their job... but surely get a gig at FOX lol...

October 4, 2012 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  21. chuck

Wow! What a mess up kitchen aid..what were you thinking...have a rep come to my house and take all of my KA appliances out...I WANT NOTHING MORE TO DO WITH THIS COMPANY...

October 4, 2012 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  22. Mo Choudhry

simply irresponsible. All should boycot Kitchenaid.

October 4, 2012 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  23. Paige Chaniel

I guess this person never got the memo that grandmothers and children are off limits. I've see (or read) it all now. Dont you just wish you could buy people some class ???? If were only that easy.

October 4, 2012 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  24. Magie

How cruel on can be to anyone. You can disagree or dislike an individual, but to tweet such a comment is nothing but pure hatered. The article didn't say if Kitchen Aid hired a consultant, so unless the company come forward with an apology, publicly and explain how this happen I am done with their products. I would have felt the same way if the comments had been said about any one.

October 4, 2012 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  25. Disgusted

At least they didn't lie and say their account was hacked. This is typical of ALL republicans. They are haters with no moral. Nothing coming from them surprises me anymore.

October 4, 2012 02:30 am at 2:30 am |