KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama
October 3rd, 2012

KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama

(CNN) - The home appliance brand KitchenAid apologized Wednesday evening for a political tweet sent out from its official account during the presidential debate.

The tweet has been removed but at least a dozen retweets of the post showed it read, "Obamas gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! 'She died 3 days b4 he became president.'"

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The company apologized in a later post from the same account.

"Deepest apologies for an irresponsible tweet that is in no way a representation of the brand's opinion," the tweet read in part.

The original post would have been in reference to a comment President Barack Obama made during the debate as he spoke about the importance of programs such as Medicare and Social Security.

"You know, my grandmother - some of you know - helped to raise me," Obama said. My grandfather died a while back. My grandmother died three days before I was elected president. And she was fiercely independent. She worked her way up, only had a high school education, started as a secretary, ended up being the vice president of a local bank. And she ended up living alone by choice."

"And the reason she could be independent was because of Social Security and Medicare," he continued.

Cynthia Soledad, KitchenAid's senior director of marketing, said in a statement to CNN: "During the debate tonight, a member of our Twitter team mistakenly posted an offensive tweet from the KitchenAid handle instead of a personal handle. The tasteless joke in no way represents our values at KitchenAid, and that person won't be tweeting for us anymore."

"I am deeply sorry to President Obama, his family, and the Twitter community for this careless error," Soledad said.

READ MORE: CNN Poll: Most watchers say Romney debate winner

READ MORE: Mentions of 'Big Bird' increased 800,000% on Facebook

Filed under: 2012 • Debate • President Obama
  1. B

How come this is news. That was a waste of my valubale time. Why would anyone make a report over something so stupid. I just lost hundreds of iq points reading this

October 4, 2012 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  2. judy

No more kitchen aid. For me

October 4, 2012 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  3. Chris

This is the same attitude we've seen from the right since Obama was elected: Disgusting, immature, sometimes racist remarks meant to undermine his accomplishments and his title. I have a KitchenAid appliance but I certainly won't be buying any more. Low blow. Of course people are trying to justify it or suggest that it came from 'someone else' other than the company. Look, folks: It's 2012. If someone has control of your social networking, they DO control your company. If this doesn't prove it, I don't know what does. Let's see if WHR (whirlpool stock) shows any fluctuations over this. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go a lot deeper in terms of damage than the average person thinks it will.

October 4, 2012 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  4. Name kc

KitchenAid ....dismiss her! That was mean and cruel!

October 4, 2012 03:47 am at 3:47 am |
  5. Texasaaa

Looks like a Dem was planted at Kitchen Aid! Think about it, no person working there or that cares about that product would ever do that.
    No matter what they thought about Obama. Your prejudices for him are making your comments look your grasping for straws after a butt kicking.

October 4, 2012 03:48 am at 3:48 am |
  6. Move on

Get over it and move on... I'll still continue to buy .. This is dumb

October 4, 2012 03:51 am at 3:51 am |
  7. Lisa

Sadly, this was probably a high-level executive...they didn't even fire him, just said "he won't be tweeting again" after he probably caused a few million dollars in damage to their brand name.

Disgusting as is the Kitchen Aid response. I'm not buying any Whrlpool or Kitchen Aid products ever again if they choose to keep such individuals in employment.

October 4, 2012 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  8. Jan

Disrespectful and disgusting! Shame on Kitchen Aid for hiring a child as a Social Media Specialist. Pathetic tweeter wrote as if it was text to a friend. I'm sure it's an immediate termination on the grounds of company and code of conduct violation!

October 4, 2012 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  9. canon808

Let me start by saying its a disgusting tweet. Now that we've put that out of the way, I would like to turn to those that are out there waiting for opportunity to call for a boycott of a product they have never used, really? You really think the company had a staff meeting and came out with the idea to post this, I see you have been out of a job for so long you have forgotten how corporate America works.

October 4, 2012 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  10. Drago1

Is there a space where we dare not venture into in our political discourse..? The President's Mother's Death is now Game..?

...And what is it about Romney does Kitchen like so much about a Man who scorns, condemns and throws under the Bus, the same people he is asking to lead and be their Commander-In-Chief, Really Kitchen Aid...?

I think it is time for me to get rid of my Kitchen Aid Tools. Just as I stop eating Papa Johns Pizza, as he refuses to spend additional $0.15 cents per pizza to ensure his employees have Health Insurance... Really...? This dude owns and live in a Mansion with personal Golf Course. Really...?

Common People, this is comical..

October 4, 2012 04:06 am at 4:06 am |
  11. DT

Ironically I stopped at Lowe's about 30 minutes before the debate and left strongly considering a Kitchenaid dishwasher. NOT going to happen now – will be only looking at Bosh (which is made in the USA)! Not buying Maytag or Whirlpool either as whirlpool owns Kitchenaid and Maytag. Written statement of apology is not enough for such a disgusting statement. CEO needs to publish an apology in every major newspaper or release a TV commercial apologizing.

October 4, 2012 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  12. mdagne

It is difficult for me to believe that a an employee can make such a mistake, insulting anyone let alone the President while being at work and using the company’s property unless this is a norm for the company. May be this individual is one of those listening to Governor Romney when he was insulting 47% of our population. Is this the case?

October 4, 2012 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  13. Someday

presentationadvisors got it right.

And to all those who were so horribly offended, do you also express the same level of outrage when it's a distasteful Tweet slamming Romney, Ryan, or their spouses? Or do you laugh along and reTweet it?

October 4, 2012 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  14. Thinking Texan

If it don't work out for them, they can always advertise with Fox or Rush.

October 4, 2012 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  15. seekandpeek

Shameful.... very disrespectful. I will never buy another Kitchen Aid product ever. I will inform my family and friends as well.

October 4, 2012 04:36 am at 4:36 am |
  16. Lewis

Doesn't matter who you're pulling for, that's inappropriate and wrong.

October 4, 2012 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  17. dentalplanaffiliates

Wow, some of you need to settle down and look at the situation objectively as advocated by presentationadvisors. This is clearly not sponsored by KitchenAid. This sort of alarmist and reactionary behavior is ridiculous. Don't you have more important things to worry about?

October 4, 2012 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  18. CBR

This tells me a lot about KitchenAid. The fact that this tweet was written and sent is enough to make people want to boycott their products. This was not unlike messages that appear in the comments sections everywhere. The number of insults written about the President since he took office is astounding. The have insulted him, they have insulted his wife. Their comments are a sign that there are people who find this writing acceptable. Even if folks complain they know that their comment was seen and would be controversial. They have made their point and now they can apologize. Tomorrow or the next day they will return with another insulting comments.
    they find it easy to do this because the American people allow this to happen.

October 4, 2012 04:54 am at 4:54 am |
  19. tx

Why 19 year old interns should not be running your corporate social media program.

October 4, 2012 04:57 am at 4:57 am |
  20. Oh brother

Don't worry, KitchenAid. People aren't looking to you for political analysis or commentary.

October 4, 2012 05:02 am at 5:02 am |
  21. Eric

Really? Ok, no more KitchenAid products for me...

October 4, 2012 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  22. Eric

Done, done, done with them and their products. Nuff said.

October 4, 2012 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  23. Vumba

Really? This is really that important of a subject up for discussion.

October 4, 2012 05:18 am at 5:18 am |
  24. Michelle

For shame KitchenAid for not terminating his/her employment on the spot. I will absolutely, 100%, go out of my way to never purchase a KitchenAid product again.

October 4, 2012 05:25 am at 5:25 am |
  25. AJ

I'm certainly not boycotting a company that makes fine products like their famous mixer my wife uses in our kitchen just because of the unfortunate choice of words by one employee there.

October 4, 2012 05:27 am at 5:27 am |