KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama
October 3rd, 2012

KitchenAid apologizes for tweet insulting Obama

(CNN) - The home appliance brand KitchenAid apologized Wednesday evening for a political tweet sent out from its official account during the presidential debate.

The tweet has been removed but at least a dozen retweets of the post showed it read, "Obamas gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! 'She died 3 days b4 he became president.'"

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The company apologized in a later post from the same account.

"Deepest apologies for an irresponsible tweet that is in no way a representation of the brand's opinion," the tweet read in part.

The original post would have been in reference to a comment President Barack Obama made during the debate as he spoke about the importance of programs such as Medicare and Social Security.

"You know, my grandmother - some of you know - helped to raise me," Obama said. My grandfather died a while back. My grandmother died three days before I was elected president. And she was fiercely independent. She worked her way up, only had a high school education, started as a secretary, ended up being the vice president of a local bank. And she ended up living alone by choice."

"And the reason she could be independent was because of Social Security and Medicare," he continued.

Cynthia Soledad, KitchenAid's senior director of marketing, said in a statement to CNN: "During the debate tonight, a member of our Twitter team mistakenly posted an offensive tweet from the KitchenAid handle instead of a personal handle. The tasteless joke in no way represents our values at KitchenAid, and that person won't be tweeting for us anymore."

"I am deeply sorry to President Obama, his family, and the Twitter community for this careless error," Soledad said.

READ MORE: CNN Poll: Most watchers say Romney debate winner

READ MORE: Mentions of 'Big Bird' increased 800,000% on Facebook

Filed under: 2012 • Debate • President Obama
  1. Jimbone

That's some funny stuff. The tweet was kinda right though.

October 4, 2012 05:27 am at 5:27 am |
  2. Nyckid

OUTRAGEOUS!!!! I will boycott this companies. DISGUSTING!!!

October 4, 2012 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  3. Liz

Hysterical!! I will be going out tomorrow to purchase a KitchenAid product.

October 4, 2012 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  4. Me

I'm certain it was not really meant

October 4, 2012 05:38 am at 5:38 am |
  5. John

I just ordered a new Kitchen from Kithchenaid....I am glad I did. The only ones offended here are a bunch of losers and wimps. I offended that this is what people worry about.

October 4, 2012 05:39 am at 5:39 am |
  6. Michael D

Which begs the question...Who is following KitchenAid on twitter? Sure, Kenmore, maybe, but KitchenAid?

October 4, 2012 05:40 am at 5:40 am |
  7. John

Oh, one more thing.
    No more Chik-fil-a no more kitchen aid? Come on people..get real get a job and get a life.

October 4, 2012 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  8. Thomas

I think the more important question is, Who the heck follows KitchenAid on Twitter? Seriously, you are following an appliance company's tweets???

I weep for humanity and the morons of social media

October 4, 2012 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  9. Bailey

That employee should be terminated!

Former KitchenAid Customer

October 4, 2012 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  10. TruthTeller

I bet KitchenAid won't fire the employee. They are full of it and just trying to get more sales. #Desparate

October 4, 2012 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  11. Natch

LMAO @ the losers who are breaking all ties with KitchenAid, over a tweet that was made on their account.....BY MISTAKE!! Shows the mental midgets who ally themselves with the king of the teleprompters!

October 4, 2012 05:51 am at 5:51 am |
  12. Rombot

What a cheap company owner. I bet it was the owner, the fruitbag that owns whirlpool. Scew Kitchenaid in their silly poopchute. Cheap chinese garbage, used to be made by hobart in ohio of quality steel, now its chinese plastic garbage made by a 12 year old kid, in a slave camp. Scum of society. Go get yourself a tax break, you deserve it pseudo patriot.

October 4, 2012 05:52 am at 5:52 am |
  13. thebestofthebest

Ignorant,insensitive statement..lost my business!

October 4, 2012 05:54 am at 5:54 am |
  14. bob

Because of Obama another American will be standing in the unemployment line.

October 4, 2012 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  15. Skeptic6

Apologies? This tweet demonstrates what a bigoted and racist nation this is. I hope you never sell another crappy kitchen aid device. You people today think you can say anything today through the coward enhanced products such as Twitter and Facebook. One day there will be great regret for social media and the harm it causes.

October 4, 2012 05:57 am at 5:57 am |
  16. mmi16

Your Fired!

October 4, 2012 06:05 am at 6:05 am |
  17. Kneesus

Kitchenaid is just assuming that anyone who votes for Obama can't afford their product. You've made my decision 1 brand less complicated.

October 4, 2012 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  18. Jason

Holy Moley. KitchenAid is a complete and utter disaster.

October 4, 2012 06:09 am at 6:09 am |
  19. smc

Unsurprising comment from a company who moved all their manufacturing out of the USA years ago, and their quality dropped with it. Of course they did start to move some jobs back under Obama.

October 4, 2012 06:09 am at 6:09 am |
  20. Anonymous

I will continue to buy quality kitchen aid products.

October 4, 2012 06:11 am at 6:11 am |
  21. jcow

The tweet was horrible. But how shallow, narrow minded, and silly do you have to be to say you'll never buy a product again because of it. Buy a product on how well it's made, how well it works, the warranty, or any other number of reasons related to the product itself. Seriously people grow up, become adults, and get over your specious "rage".

October 4, 2012 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  22. Blake

Boycotting them over a comment? Seriously?you people are stupid are you are taking it way too rediculously Friday.

October 4, 2012 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  23. Christina

That's just insulting.

October 4, 2012 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  24. Mrs T.

Kitchenaid should have reported that their twitter employee was no longer a member of that team. I am extremely disappointed and will not shop 'kitchenaid'. Give me opinions about other electronic kitchen equipment, but stay the hell away from your political opinions to yourself. Or better yet. Post your political opinions with your personal account and personal electronics. It is for this reason that you don't use company equipment to post personal attacks.

October 4, 2012 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  25. Mark Taylor

typical GOP-style hatefulness and nastiness. No class whatsoever.

October 4, 2012 06:13 am at 6:13 am |