Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Will

Romney through Jamie Dimon under the bus he said large banks should not be able to fail policy was bad ...holy crap

October 3, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  2. Name Flo6

Romney is like a used car salesman. Yes its a car don't worry about does it run. Just take my word for it. Romney is arrogrant and rude. For me it comes down to who do I feel is telling me the truth by talking to me instead of at me. My mind is made up, the man who saved America from the brink of disaster has my vote.

October 3, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  3. Fuzzer Chezbit

Mr. Romney claims he WILL NOT cut $750 billion from MediCare, differentiating himself from President Obama and his own running mate, Mr. Ryan. You can explain this risky policy stance with one word:

F-L-O-R-I-D-A

October 3, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  4. HeatherW

Oncie-let me know how ur required healthcare goes once mitt is in there. Lets see if u keep ur housr or healthcare. Good luck & stay healthy!!

October 3, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  5. knowthefacts

Obama and this country was left with a structural deficit of $1.2 trillion a year and a country on the brink of a depression. That was the result of 8 years of incompetent Republican governance. Thank God for Obama. He saved this country with decisions that were tough, and every economist I have read, says the stimulus saved us from disaster. Most economist wanted more stimulus. Listening to Romney frightens me. He wants to take us back. Back to failed economic policy and more foolish tax cuts for the rich.

October 3, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  6. Misty

Romney won hands down!!

October 3, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. Jere

I haven,t heard Romney say anything as to what he would do for the country. Obama really explained what he would do and how he would do.

October 3, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I think it is smart and very strategic of Mr President to allow Mitt to get excited, talk too fast, and he sounds shifty.
    Mr President just feeling Mitt out. Love it.

October 3, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  9. kevin

One thing's clear - the loser of this debate was Jim Lehrer. This was unwatchable.

October 3, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  10. jt

People with jobs thats the issues.

October 3, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  11. Will

Romney is playing on words that he thinks government has too much oversight on Wall Street... Wall Street is going to abandon Romney lol lol

October 3, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Romney was presidential. Obama seemed struggling to keep above water.

October 3, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  13. Amy

TO BETTE: teachers are trained in edu-speak dogma and how to teach to the test. What need are people who are actually educated in their subjects (i.e. have advanced degrees in history, biology, etc. and not just MAs in education).

Yup, Mittens didn't answer a thing: no specifics, just "I have a plan, I have a plan"

October 3, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  14. Anonymous

mitt is a little girl, always needing the last word. Disrespectful to Jim

October 3, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  15. loretta

I wonder if I had 1 million $$ which of these two I would "trust" with my money to take me into the future? I do believe that Romney is extremely smart about business. Right now, if I tossed the coin, I'd trust my future and $$ to Romney.

October 3, 2012 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  16. Winford

I thank Obama drop the ball

October 3, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  17. R Stabekis

In response to Romney's claim that MA has the best schools in the country: ( via NY Times article) "Even Massachusetts has only one school in the top 100, which is surprising, since the state’s students have repeatedly led the nation on the federal reading and math tests.

On the other hand, this is what makes America great: Anybody can make up any formula to measure anything, which gives lots of places a chance to be best at something."

October 3, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  18. DeWayne

@ Suzy ...Um, First, there was only 12 years total presidency for the Bush's. Second, how would anything the first Bush did in the early 90s affect us today. And third, we had some great years in the 2000s with low gas prices, good jobs, etc. It was only until the end of GWs presidency that the market dropped, mainly as a result of mortgage policies set in place by Democrats.

October 3, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  19. Sam A

Jere must be watching a different debate.

October 3, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  20. Juan

Obama won!

October 3, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  21. CT

Gov Romney's the hands-victor! Prez kept insisting that Gov Romney didn't provide "specifics". But he was equally if not more so in "talking around" the subject, and NOT providing specifics, and kept pounding on his failed policies' talking points. Round 1 goes to Mitt!

October 3, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. Oncie

Woman in CA. Really? did you see the debate???? Delusional to put it mildly. Can't wait to see how accurate B Hussein Obama facts were (or most likely were not). If the next goes like this, they better start packing up

October 3, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  23. Will

Romney has said nothing ... He is not addressing how he could really do anything different than Obama and he is bankrolled by rich friends who will be controlling him like a puppet. He is going to unemploy more people

October 3, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. eerilyfamiliar

Wow, so eery, it was like listening to a hynoptic tape of Obama's empty droning. eeks and yikes. Nothing at all that made Obama even look honest, real or engaged.. And Romney went so easy on him. So calm, so direct. Ni!e. I like details and Romney was so good. Obama was all over the pla!e. !larific!ation was great. I now understand Romney's true tax plan. Lower rates for all means more money to spend in life, that grows the e!onomy. Yippee, been saving for a new livingroom set but everything is just so expensive and rising daily. I want more discretionary in!ome.

October 3, 2012 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. Gurgyl

Mitt is so bad and always crying. Medicare–voucher go home.

October 3, 2012 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |