Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Abigail

My vote is STILL Obama!

October 3, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. sharrell

Not sure how to vote for before the debate. Decision made clear tonight. Mitt all the way.

October 3, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  3. kIM

Still for O! Not going back to Bush years for better hair and sentences.

October 3, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  4. MZ76

Not a hard !hoice now. Romney in 2012. Obama go fly a kit please

October 3, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  5. Nonamer

I am neither Democrat or Republican. Objectively, I would say the debate was about even. I think Romney was disrespectful and rude, but smooth on his feet and with his words. Obama was calm, but not aggressive enough. I think neither man is really "right" for the job, but I do think that Obama is the "safer" choice of the two. However, it is very discouraging in this country that it really comes down to two people to vote for. This is one of the main reasons why many people actually do NOT vote.

October 3, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  6. Donnie

And PJ its been made fact that obama has lied about what he would do with his presidency 4 years ago. He has done nothing good for this country.

Would you want e president that trys to portray someone as being horrible for not stopping to hug their fellow male garbage man. I believe that would make Romney gay if he did. And I might be the only one but whenever im working I wouldnt enjoy someone getting in my bubble randomly hugging me. For my future and my childrens future as for everyone else in the world. We need him out of office.

October 3, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  7. Julio

The joke of the night !!! The US should focus in Latin America!!! As a LatinAmerican I just can say....Come on Romney.....wake up...we are done with the US , we have been waiting for decades that the US focus in us....now we are focus in CHINA!!! good luck!!

October 3, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. Barbara Malzone

I heard more contradictions from Romney in this debate than I could count. He's the "flim flam man"! For one, he stated he didn't want to take money away from Medicare, but wanted to put money into medicare, however, stated later that his health care plan doesn't have medicare. Also, he stated that he wanted to help all young people have the chance to go to college, yet stated throughout his campaign that they should go to their parents for money, why should the government pay for them to go to school? He also stated during the debate that he would repeal Obama care, when in fact, prior to the debate, he stated that he didn't want to repeal it but revise it. He has contradicted himself on every topic discussed in the debate and we are supposed to trust this man to run our country? I think not and I'm a registered Republican!

October 3, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  9. sara

Obama help make some good points for Romney!! Obama does have a plan other than one that is failing. Obama knows this and that is why he help make some of Romney points. Romney Won this debate!!

October 3, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  10. Lyn

Mitt is scarier after the debate than he was before. Someone who doesn;t live in the real world has no right to decide about how the middle class feels or needs. He is a stiff, hard hearted snob .... I don't like phony people and he is the most. Not one single comment was really gave any information about how he wants to ruin the country like W did.

October 3, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  11. Anonymous

President Obama was cerebral, factual and presidential. Romney was visceral, evasive and very unpresidential.
    While 59,000 patriotic Americans lost their lives while serving their country in Vietnam, Romney was serving his Mormon Church in Paris. Romney is qualified to be president of the Mormon Church, he is not qualified to be president of my country!

October 3, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  12. PG

I think it's interesting that most of CNNs analysts are male & claiming that Romney won. When you watched the response lines at the bottom of the screen Obama did better with women and Romeny did better with me. It's unfortunate that we have to listen to commentator spin that is slanted toward the overall male point of view.

October 3, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  13. michelle

I TRUST Romney because I think he is a person who has given so much money to those who don't have resources. Obama has never done that. Romney has lived a life of giving. Obama has lived off of others.

October 3, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  14. dinotroll

Romney had style, but Obama had substance. And substance is what matters.

October 3, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  15. Patrick in Wisconsin

Notice how Mitt barely rebutted anything Obama said about him, perhaps Mitt doesn't like to respond to the truth?

October 3, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  16. Joel

Like Romney or not, he dominated the debate. I was surprised to see the president not display more authority and leadership through his personality. His appeal to vote for him in his closing statement was sad at best.

October 3, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  17. Lynne

Romney has campaigned on the five trillion dollar tax cut for 18 months, and NOW he denies it?? Wish they could insert videos!

October 3, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  18. mj

Obama's debate performance came off much like his Presidential performance. It's like all of this inconvenient tough stuff is just getting in the way of his golf game!

October 3, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  19. J. David Holmes

Romney won that debate hands down. He was relaxed, he had a better command of the facts, and appeared better prepared. Romney actually appeared smarter than Obama, and Obama appeared nervous and often unnerved. Romney looked Obama in the eye, and Obama looked around the audience, but very seldom did he meet Romney's eyes!

October 3, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Two comments for improvement on CNN's coverage. First, it's distracting having the lines across the screen monitoring the opinions of some Colorado independents. If I cared what they thought, I'd go on a blog. Second, why the constant tight frame on the candidates faces? You couldn't see the stage, their body language, or even their hand gestures. These are big components of communication you cropped off making your coverage not much different than radio.

October 3, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  21. pheso

The real issues are the direction the country will take from this spot on,Do we pursue the path of giving all the cards to the wealthy and then trust them to be fair to the rest of us or do we allow the government and the people and the rich all have a fair chance along with each group bearing a fair proportion of the cost? The people are not stupid,The brilliant arguements are just that, The people will watch out for themselves and will refuse to continue to be slaves to the vested interests of the few wealthy people and corporations.Fairness! Fairness!! people the people deserve to survive and not get swallowed up by big money.

October 3, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  22. Sam A

BTW, Romney gave $4m to charity in 2011. "We the people" helping each other – not looking to the govt for everything. How much did Obama give to charity? Mitt's lower tax rate was the result of giving away 25% of his income to charity. Add it to his 14% tax rate and he gave back 39%!

October 3, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  23. troy

Romney is like a shiny BMW with an old Pinto engine; all flash and now substance. Unfortunately, a segment of the electorate is ignorant and easily swayed by shiny things.

Bottom line, I want details. Romney didn't provide any. Thanks. Makes my decision to vote Obama much clearer.

October 3, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. lillie

I vote for Romney now. I thought I was a supporter of Obama but he showed his stiffness and inability to understand people

October 3, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  25. Mary

To me it seemed that ObamacareS!

October 3, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |