Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. DEE ALAN

Romey is making Obama look like the idiot he is – Obama took a bad situation and made it worse. But blames everyone except himself and his incompetent chronies.

October 3, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  2. Anonymous

need a better moderator.

mitt romney comes off like the corp bully most of know too well. caring more about their own agenda then anything. i am going to enjoy voting against him like i did when carly fiorina and meg whitman were running!

October 3, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  3. Woman In California

All of these people who are pretending to be disappointed in the president's performance NEED TO STOP IT. He did exactly what he was supposed to do TALK TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. Sure, there was no drama but people don't want drama, they want facts.
    Willard is probably thinking he brought his game tonight over the president but the American people are not stupid. We don't need a good debate we need facts and the president gave them. I'm sure Willard has his confidence level up real high now, but it won't last long.

I support the president and his approach tonight and I think he did a good job.
    Obama 1
    Willard 0

October 3, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  4. Rich

Mitch is still a liar Obama Should have been tougher too worried about looking presidential. But I'm still going to vote for Barack.... Romney still has no plan just hot air

October 3, 2012 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  5. joyce

WOw!! I didn't expect it but Romney was DEFINITELY the winner. He is articulate, understands business...WOW...I'd trust him with my retirement money and my health care...

October 3, 2012 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. FRIEDA ALEXANDER

Romney showed poise and confidence when answering all questions. Obama was rude in his lack of eye contact and he constantly answered with his own agenda..Win for ROMNEY !

October 3, 2012 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  7. Texas

I was o.k. with the talk show, it wasn't an interesting debate, but I don't think Mitt made me change my vote, I'll stay with obama. I'll hear what happens with the next debate. I'm lower middle class and I was forunate not to suffer as some of my fellow Americans. God Bless!

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  8. IComefromMontana

Obama IS looking at Romney. It's Romney who is flushed and eyes darting all over the place. Not that those facts determine competence to lead the country. Sorry, it is the Republicans who have been nailed to the floor in the House for the last 4 years, not President Obama. I'll take the changes in health care anytime over flip flopping Mitt.

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  9. Sam A

Michelle. Great comment. Romney is a producer and a giver. Obama has lived off the hand-outs of others – primarily us taxpayers.

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. Cathy

When facts are checked Romney will be caught in the lies
    He looked more like a hothead than a presidential candidate.

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  11. Juanita Gonzalez

Used to believe in Obama... This debate changed everything. Go Mitt!!

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  12. josh

I don't care about either, but Romney whipped Obama tonight.

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  13. DEE ALAN

Troy – what details has Obama provided you that you give him any credit for? Romney can't educate you in sound bites, look it up and educate yourself on the position of each candidate. You've seen Obama's work over four years! Do you get it?

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  14. Phyllis Sherwood

Mitt Romney's presentation was outstanding! In listening to the debate, Romney came across as the person who should be
    the next president of the United States.

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  15. JAYNE

What a horrible job the moderator did! CNN should be ashamed of not having a professional able to control this debate!!! There is a reason for time in response to questions! This isn't middle school!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  16. california

Obama DIDN'T talk to the people. He talked to the floor which is another way of apologizing for doing a terrible job of president over the past four years...he was fumbling, mumbling, and silly...

He looked tired and not in charge which is exactly the way his 4 years have been.

October 3, 2012 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  17. USA

When will we get a debate with ALL the presidential candidates?

October 3, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  18. Tony T

PG. That would be a first that CNN favored a Republican. Not quite NBC in bias which used a lower definition camera on split screens to make Romney look worse on screen, but still usually center left. Gender bias? Really?

October 3, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  19. lyndaP.

my vote is still for Obama

October 3, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  20. Toni

Honestly, I don't think it was a hands down win for Romney. I don't trust him....he talked a lot but I didn't hear any specifics...where are the specifics?

October 3, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  21. troy

If you think Romney supports the middle class, you are an absolute idiot.

October 3, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  22. Coachmama

This did not change any one mind. If you study hard enough for a test you will pass it. Romney blink so fast for every lie he told. He was also rude! For the people That do not know What has happen under Obama for the last four years. I feel sorry for you. I will feel sorry for America if Romney gets in and get us all in another Bush mess!

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  23. willis

It's so interesting that Obama couldn't do the specifics. He looked guilt and lacked the specific. I wouldn't trust my business with him. He may be nice but isn't nearly as smart as Mitt. Mitt is the person who will bring the ountry back into some global success. Obama looked ineffective

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  24. Slightly agitated

our choices suck Romney who was a co founder and ceo to Bain help cut millions of american jobs just by alllowing that company to exist and obama has done nothing for the economy maybe they would be better working together rather than against each other

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  25. Jack

Major victory for Romney.

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |