Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. mike

How many jobs are created vs the jobs lost with program cuts?

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  2. Dale

Romney1 Oboma 0

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  3. Salazar

Mitt the clear winner...

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  4. Nikki Knight

Romney didn't do anything tonight but show me that he is truly disconnected. He said that he believes in education, but blew me away when he said he would cut PBS! Really?! He showed his disrespect for the medeator, and only bullied to say nothing new. Seems to me he doesn't want us to know how he plans to do a lot of things. I work in healthcare, I am in the middle class, I have common sense, and I can do the math..... I will stick with President Obama.

October 3, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  5. ms

Mitt Romney killed it, the President stumbled and fell on his face. Not sure how anyone could think that the President came off as a winner tonight. With regards to eloquence, Mitt out classes the President by a mile.... Debates aren't supposed to prove anything. Records do, and Mitt has a much better record than Obama. Way to go Mitt!

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  6. Vanessa

Regardless of who did better, my vote & that of my whole fam are with our current president Barack Hussein Obama! Si se puede!! Hispanos con Obama!

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  7. Elise

If tonight tells us ANYTHING at all, it's that Romney would be absolutely terrible at talking with other countries. He couldn't even keep himself from interrupting a moderator during a televised debate! One more reason (among my many) that I will be voting Obama.

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  8. DEE ALAN

Obama keeps talking about how Romney needs to show his plan and he hasn't shown us anything and he's the prez. Obama has not even passed a budget since he's been in office! What is his plan?

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  9. Tucson

My vote is SOLID OBAMA 2012!!!
    Romney changes from supporting his tax cuts to not supporting his tax cuts. What Is it Romney? Are you going to change your plan and position again? You may win the votes of those who were undecided, but you may lose the support of those supporting you now. OBAMA Remains Firm Romney is not honest.

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  10. Ted

As an Australian living in China, I don't have a dog in this fight however globally I guess we all have a stake in the US election. From that debate, Romney won easily.....he was articulate and showed genuine leadership from experience whereas Obama was cool as usual but cool will not solve the serious challenges the US now faces and has for a few years now.

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  11. Yuri

I am absolutely sure that Romney won the debate but not because he was a better debater... He won, at least in my opinion because Obama did not even try debating. If anything I think Obama was under prepared for the debate. He did not bring his A-game. But maybe this was his plan. Maybe in future debates he will eat Romney for breakfast... I do not know. All I know is that I was really expecting more of Obama today and he did not deliver.

Will it sway me? Nope. I am till voting for Obama.

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  12. Jed D

Romney came on stage tonight with Thor's hammer in his back pocket.... and used it frequently.

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. Verna

I felt Romney won this debate on substance. Wish the media would focus more on policy issues versus appearance and style – looks. Also think some of media spokespersons do not have much experience in business or governing, to understand some of what was said – like how would grow the budget to make up for cuts, how to get bi-partisan cooperation. Think the extra minutes Obama took was not really fair – moderator should have been more careful to give equal amounts of time – he seemed to let Obama continue, but cut Romney off.

October 3, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  14. troy

I don't care about any debates because debates are meant to deceive. I've done my research. I know who I'm voting for. And a debate won't influence my decision one bit.

October 3, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  15. Oscar

Sorry but Romney may have sounded stronger but he never answered the questions given to him, at least Obama gave answers and did not shy away from how it would be done. Can not say the same about Romney he tip toed around the important thing and that is HOW.... Obama is my vote!

October 3, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  16. Ernesto

Does anybody know what is Romney's plan? He only talked about what he did and about his experience. He looks like he really does not know which train he is going to take.

October 3, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  17. robert

Mitt Romney spoke with confidence as he removed the wool from the eyes of people who think that Mr Obama is the best thing since sliced bread. Romney scored my vote. Mr Obama does not have a clue.

October 3, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  18. Mary

Romney won this debate. No doubt about it.

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  19. neena

Romney came off as a bully. Can't stand the rich guy.

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  20. Karen

Romney was amazing tonight. I was shocked. He was confident, stood firm, knew what he was talking about.
    The President seemed nervous, unsure of himself and not very confident.

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  21. Joie

Some people forget so easily that it was the Republicans in power when our economy fell. How could Obama keep his promises when that mess was dumped on him before he even took office? Amazing that he kept as many promises as he did. Bush let Bin Laden escape, Obama made the commitment to get him and that he did. Obama kept us from going into a certain depression.

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  22. DEE ALAN

How could Obama try to get sympathy for his grandmother when he didn't even show respect for her when he called her a racist? Didn't he say she was afraid of black people and would cross the street? Doesn't sound like a respectful thing to say about someone who raised you and you would speak respectfully of after death.

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  23. MaineRep

Romney did exactly what he needed to do and Obama was hesitant and uncomfortable. Romney was able to call Obama out on his lies about Romney's position. Romney had some strong answers about about the lack of detail in his economic plan. I thought the best answer of the night was when he said that they are different ways to achieve his goals. He wanted to bring the leaders from both parties to discuss the options and reach the decision. This shows that he is willing to work with both sides.

Obama definitely showed that he needs a teleprompter. He did not show the confidence in his platforms.

I know that nothing will change the decided voters but hopefully it will allow the undecided to see for themselves the differences between the two candidates.

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  24. Chaky

I don't feel either won me tonight. I felt that Romney may have changed some policies to appeal to the masses. Despite Romney's bravado, I didn't see anyone arise as the victor in this. Yes, Romney was aggressive in his argument, but it didn't win me. Just raising your voice and attacking isn't the way to win my vote. What I'd like to hear is the actual ways they really are different in their views now that Romney has changed grounds. Presidential candidates, please tell me WHAT WILL YOU DO? WHAT ARE YOUR DIFFERENCES? Not similarities...AND WHY SHOULD I VOTE FOR YOU!

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  25. RT

Who cares if Romney was comfortable or bold or aggressive, can handle the President! What can he do for me? How can he fix the problems??!? I still don't know!

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |