Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. ert888

Definitely Romney! I was very undecided, but not a huge fan of the last 4 years. Romney is just more in line with what I think America stands for!

October 3, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Missed having a question regarding the environment and sustainability. A booming economy "at any cost" is too costly.

October 3, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  3. Will

Romney doesn't believe that every kid should get a government funded education. In fact ask any Republican. They have no interest educating poor kids

October 3, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. ChatwithSas

Mitt can say whatever he wants, but the part I still remember the he does not care about 47% of Americans. So I struggle when Mitt says I care about America – a true statement from Mitt would be, "I care about 53% of Americans and that's because you pay about same tax rate as me, even though I am a gazillionaire – I like you Mr. hardworker who makes $75,000/yr."

October 3, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  5. Jenna

Romney changed all his plans right before tonight and without any proof or any serious data promised a lot of new things. Obama's campaign people obviously had prepared him to face a man with his "old" plans, and he wasn't prepared for the unexpected. Contrary to Romney, he has a real job right now with the world on fire. Obviously he wasn't vetted enough for the debate. He has the stamina and the leadership qualities and has proved it over and over. Romney flips new ideas like pancakes every day. His impatience and poker ideas every day make him improper for this job. He can't face reality no matter what the debate says. This is only blabla, with promises that none of them can take to a congress that does what it wants. Careful people, careful.

October 3, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  6. D & J Jacks

Romney did a Better than Great job in the Debates, Glad we are voting for him.

October 3, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  7. Daniel Kariuki

The president didn't bring his A game, as expected Romney has to prove himself.But with that,Romney still didn't reveal what his plan encompasses but was a better speaker.

October 3, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. jcroshaw

Obama spoke for much longer times but said NOTHING.

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  9. Kelly=Independent Voter

I'm sorry Gov. Romney looked desperate. He is so disrespectful He never shut up.
    President Obama look like a real President. He listen, he was respectful and he never once look like he was desperate.
    President Obama did a good job.
    Romney, I don't trust him.. He look like a bad salesmen who was trying to sale sand to the beach

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  10. Jerry Carrier

Why is the press trying to make this a horse race where there isn't one? Money. If they claim it is a close race they get more viewers and sell more soap. This debate made no difference.

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Obama gave me no reason to believe in his economic policies. I now believe in Romney! He showed me that he is a good man and he is willing to fight for me!

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  12. David

I hate to say this, but this election is over with, and Obama is going to win this for sure now. I really wish the GOP had gone with Ron Paul. I think he could have given Obama a real fight to the end, and I actually liked some of Ron Paul's ideas.

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  13. Anonymous

It fascinates me how your politicians only ever talk about the wealthy, the poor and the middle classes. Is there no "working class" in the USA, or is it forbidden to use that phrase? Aussie.

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  14. Zan

Romney's strategy just did not add up. Overall, I believe that it was Obama's strategy to give Romney a false sense of hope that he did well for the first debate. I will not be suprised to see Obama come out swinging like Ali for the 2nd and 3rd debates. I am willing to bet he is going to rip Romney from his frame in the weeks ahead.

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  15. Patricia A. Schussler

I voted for President Obama in 2008 and am a registered Democrat. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney won the Presidential debate on October 3, 2012. He went "toe-to-toe" with President Obama and did not back down, gave details and was passionate for the U.S. and for the betterment of the U.S. In my opinion the new motto should be as follows: "Mitt is for America; President Obama is for Obamacare!"

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  16. karen

Romney lied all th way. Obama won and still has my vote

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  17. Charlene Faber

Mitt Romney whooped Obama tonight! No question about it. He was confident, knew his facts, respectful, Obama was not.

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  18. Poor People

IF ths happen $17000 limit on taxpayer deductions, THIS POOR PEOPLE TAXES WILL GO UP

October 3, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  19. Mike

I generally support obama, but romney had some good ideas with reguard to reverting several government programs to the state level. My question is how is this going to work when most states are flat broke!?

October 3, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  20. clorrisa

first things first y would we want romney in office if he cant handle preshure he gets deffencve and trys to talk down on are presadent! i dont want a presdent that talks down on people. presdent obama did an amazind job tonight keeped hes cool and did not talk down an romney so tumbs up to hem my vote is obama won the first debate good job!!!! proud to be an american!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  21. Craftygal

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't afford another four years under someone who doesn't answer the questions put before him, who blames those who led before him, who isn't clear about where he stands, and who paints everyone opposed a racist. Mitt was the clear winner tonight. If Obama wins in November, grab a basket, because we are all going to hell in it.

October 3, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  22. Vasan

What is more important than the debate outcomes are the facts and if they will make Americans proud and make progress. I think Obama, "Can do it!". No more turndowns, America!

October 3, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  23. Robin

This is scary. Romney did a great job at the debate. He can be anyone he wants to be. That's what scares me. He's on his fifth personality. How can you trust somebody like that?

October 3, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  24. Cami100k

It sounds like most mainstream media outlets say Romney ruled the night. He will rule for the next 4 years. You can count on it!!

October 3, 2012 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  25. DEE ALAN

Obama's plan is to print more money, stop drilling for oil, cut off coal - give money to his friends (who vote for him) like Solyndra, borrow money from the Chinese and sink America. You've seen what he has done in a few years and he is a disaster – you name it, food prices, gas prices, energy, health care, banking, takeover GM, what else do you want him to mess up for you?

October 3, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |