Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Michael

Go Obama you did great

October 3, 2012 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  2. Kim

Bush put american in this situation not Obama

October 3, 2012 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  3. missermel

President Obama looked a little weary, stammered a little. Former Gov. Romney looked at him with a superiority grin. "Take that!" he seemed beam. But I am team Obama. Obamacare = Obama + care. The secret hiding place a pot at the end of the rainbow...where unicorns dance and the leprechauns sing lucky charms. That is where Romeny's plans are written in explicit details. Oh where can we find those esteemed plans.

October 3, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  4. Natalie

ROMNEY definitely won this debate...'You own your house, you own your plane, but you don't own your facts'! Obama was disrespectful, smug & arrogant the entire time!

October 3, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  5. troy

Romney won the debate. But I'm still voting for Obama.

October 3, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  6. CAM

Keep up the GREAT WORK Mr. President Obama! You did EXCELLENT! If anyone out there votes for romney after tonight, you obviously haven't done your research! Also, you need new hearing aids, glasses and sense if you don't realize how romney just switched his views tonight,...and wouldn't give his plans of how he will run this country. Thats all I have to say about that!

October 3, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  7. Kathy Samaritano

I am so proud of President Barack Obama. It is so easy to point out what is wrong and what needs to be fixed, but as usual Mitt Romney had very little to say regarding the "fix" while Obama gave factual answers to what he has done and will continue to do to help our country and the economy. I am still voting for Obama!!

October 3, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  8. From Texas

FINALLY some straight forward answers and they came from Mitt. Obama as always preaching the same old stuff he PROMISED 4 years ago. I trust my money with a business man that wants to work for the people, listen to the people and lives by our amendments and is proud to be an american. I'm more convinced to vote for Mitt now.

October 3, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  9. Woman In California

Obama had the SUBSTANCE.

Willard had the STYLE.

You make the choice substance or style? See if you can live with style.

October 3, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  10. Reef

Hello to your next president.... Mitt Romney

October 3, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  11. Randy

Romney managed to contradict himself only 8 times and reconfirmed his lack of details shows his numbers DO NOT add up. Romney has wonderful goals but insufficient info for anyone on this planet to confirm Romney's perceived reality. I just don't trust Romney to meet the middle-class needs and expectations. President Obama's plan is working and I am more trusting of the President.

October 3, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  12. hcx

Romney failed to sway me even one inch. I can't get past his 47% comments. He's just big headed and I don't like that.

October 3, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. DEE ALAN

Obama hasn't told the truth a day in his life. Every time he opens his mouth he is lying or deceiving people.

October 3, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  14. mark

Rmney showed he understood the issues, he is so mouch more competent...Obama go home now for te sake of our country

October 3, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  15. PLANETARY DEFENSE

Willard looked scared and quite desperate !

October 3, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  16. Derek

Romney: I want good things too; promise!

Obama: How?

Romney: I will get back to you on that...

October 3, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  17. Lee White

I don't know what these people on CNN were watching but everyone in my house thought the President clearly won this debate and won by a large margin on the policies and facts. I think CNN is anxious to report Romneys comeback and are skewing their reporting of this debate. The President will maintain and perhaps extend his lead in the polls. Romney was nervous and on his heels the entire time.

October 3, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  18. Clarity is a beautiful thing

I'm listening to CNN in the background and the statement "Romney did a masterful job" just hit the air. I wonder what the rest of the Obama media is saying? Sounds like "Game ON!" to me.

October 3, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  19. Ken In Toronto Canada

Finally i chance for Goveror Romney to explain himself to the nation ( We the People NOT we the media) without a myriad of Political Pundits, Spin doctors and so called experts . The american people are sick and tired of a aloof elitist president who tweeted his basketball picks will Arab spring burned . Romney's suggestions on policy , and philosophy were head and shoulders above Obama , to suggest as some readers do here that Romney provided no details is patently false Obama's entire legacy was based on great Promises that did NOT come to Fruition . Healthcare under Obama will Bankrupt the USA . I also think Romney will reasonate with educated women who are tired of inner city violence, poverty and crime. and who CARE about the FUTURE and THE ECONOMY. Romney also bringing up Bi Partisan Co Operation shows his experience and life lessons learned ,definitelly the superior candidate for President . Lets hope here comes PRESIDENT MITT WILLARD ROMNEY and BETTER TIMES AHEAD FOR AMERICA!

October 3, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  20. truth hurts

If this was a prize fight, they would have carried Obama out on a stretcher after 30 minutes. Obama never landed a punch. This was a crushing defeat for Obama. Of course, he was at a severe disadvantage with his miserable record and BS attacks. I can hardly wait until Ryan pummels Biden into oblivion.

October 3, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  21. Mary

Romney came across as a bully. He was that kid in a classroom that when asked a questionand doesn't know the answer tries to play it off like he does. This kid will then try to take the power in the classroom. Mitt bullied. The moderator and interrupted him and the president. He may have gained the "power" but at the cost of making people dislike him.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  22. troy

Romney is a fast talker and a slick businessman. Of course he's going to win a debate against a moral and principled man like Obama.

Bottom line, people's minds are already made up. The debate is just some interesting theater for an otherwise boring Wednesday night.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  23. Brandie Cutler

Though I am a democrate voter,I believe we the people need to expand our listening ear further and really understand each candidate and what he truely wants for the American people. May the best man win,but more importantly, may the best man be the true vindicator of this economically depressed America.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  24. CG

Obama keeps beating this "I inherited a mess" dead horse. He really hasn't done too much to fix it. Seems like it's getting worse. I totally think you're losing me.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  25. cc

i think are presadent did an amazing job he talked more to the people and didnt attack romney he had an clear idea on what he wants to dol!! were romney talked down on are presadent and studderd alot and interrpded the spokes men and he didnt look to good up there at all. are presadent keeped he cool smiled alot and was more truthful on hes speach goooo obama!!!!!!! good job!!!

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |