Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Bobby

I gladly voted for Obama the last time, mainly because I wanted to see history made, & I think he hasn't been that bad a President to date. After re-watching vital sections of the debate, I think Romney acted more Presidential, in better knowledge of the facts, has a better vision on where to go, has wider experience with economics, & he seemed much different to the picture that has been painted for me by the news commentators I usually watch, & articles I have read. I think my vote will probably be for reasons more important to my future than the last time. The President has had his fair shot at working in my behalf. I think I will not be voting for him this time.

Mr. Romney clearly & convincingly won this round. Obama was flat, defenseless, & unable to move. That's how I saw it. That's my honest opinion.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  2. Militarywife

Romney looked like the con artist that he is. He could not state the fact. Honestly, I do not know if he is sure of his plan. He reminds me of the Bush boys. Romney does not have a clue about middle class or poor Americans. So, how can he make a change? He has never struggled. Fortunately, I am apart of the 47% that will be voting for President Obama.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  3. Bret

Obamadud.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  4. DEE ALAN

Can someone that supports Obama actually cite a single accomplishment that helped the country? In four years he passed health care with no bi-partison support; never attends meetings with Congressional leaders; doesn't take intelligence briefings, forgot about the war, Obama is lazy, never works, campaigns, golfs and entertains. He is embrassing and I hope he loses BIG.

October 3, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  5. Obama alltheway

Mitt proved himself to be a liar.

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  6. JOE

Romney kicked some serious. Not really unexpected for the next Potus.

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  7. Rick

More etch a sketch moments for Romney. Reboot #28.

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  8. Emery

Great job romney

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  9. me

omg. she just said obama supports green enrgy, sorry ms, if there were more wind farms, solar factories, and natural gas plants would we not have a heck of a job boom??? and this is where the world needs to go yes???? can u argue the fact with me one of the main issues, obamacare, is romneys plan???? and he flat out said omg, there was no bipartisan vote on this topic for the country???/ cnn is not acting bipartisan rather repubs.

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  10. Christy

Romney needs to be schooled in insurance 101 in regard to adverse selection and the Medicare voucher program. It would undermine the structure with who is left in the Medicare pool. I have worked for insurance companies. They totally take advantage while Americans pay in good premiums. Obamacare is getting us headed in the right direction. The problem with costs is the greed in the system. Standardization, lowering procedural costs, and having everyone participate is key. Go Obama!!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  11. Kim

I think Romney was rude and had no respect for the rules of debate set forth at the beginning of the debate. He constantly went over his allotted time and interrupted the moderator and president instead of answering questions specifically and completely. if this is the way he wants to run the country, I don't want him.

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  12. Emes

Mr. Obama knows exactly what he is doing. It's a "feint". He knows there's a long way to go. He'll swing and bring it on as we get closer to the actual voting when it counts more.

October 3, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  13. troy

I will define Romney for what he's represented for the past 18 months, not the past 1 hour. And based on that, I'm voting for Obama.

October 3, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  14. Jaymz

Wasn't even close. No more big government!!

October 3, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  15. Lynda/Minnesota

Oh, save us from the media. Romney did what Romney does best, turned the debate into a circus. Beyond that, nothing has changed. The whole debate was nothing but a Romney media love fest ... Romney did what Romney does best: offered the moon without any idea on how to deliver it.

Yawn.

October 3, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  16. wynn gordon

Although the 'chattering classes' appear to believe that Romney won the first debate, I do not believe this to be true. President Obama spoke to the issues and effectively drew pointed contrasts with the Governor. The look in Romney's eyes and face as well as his physical stance told it all. He looked as though he was trying to sell us a used car in the tradition of Dick Nixon.

October 3, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  17. Lorraine

I like the fact that Obama continued asking Romney for details on how he was going to create jobs and boost this economy, Mitt mut have a secret...all Mitt said tonight repeatly how poor Obama has governed this country the last 4 years, Mitt didn't say one good thing about what Obama has done... come on Mitt...really! My vote is for Obama!

October 3, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  18. truth hurts

Lee White - I don't know what these people on CNN were watching but everyone in my house thought the President clearly won this debate and won by a large margin on the policies and facts
    ==========================================================================================
    Obviously way too much koolaide was served at your house during the debate! This debate wasn't even close. Romney mopped the floor with Obama from start to finish.

October 3, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  19. suren mouradyan

I am a 29 year old male who voted for President Obama 4 years ago and believed in his ideas and coming in to tonight's debate still believed. But what I saw from Gov. Romney completely blew my mind away. This was a side of Mitt Romney that I didn't even think existed. I guess the way the media had portrayed him blinded me to see the real man. Tonight's debate just proved to me that if given the opportunity Gov. Romney will lead us not only out of this economic mess, but also lead us to continue to be the greatest nation on earth. Thank you Gov. Romney for showing me and the rest of the American people who you really are, and I can honestly say that I am confident that you will lead our country to greatness.

October 3, 2012 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  20. Wanda

I still voting for Obama

October 3, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  21. DEE ALAN

Obama doesn't know how to work with other people, that's why he can't get anything done. He thinks he is a dictator. Leaders know how to work with other people to reach consensus and bridge the gap between opposing views. When has he ever used concillatory language to bring people together? NEVER – he is a divider not a uniter.

October 3, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  22. tepeters

On presentation Romney won. The President's attempt to be presidential came off disengaged. As to substance-nothing was revealed. Romney had what appeared like a lot of facts but they did not clarify what he would do. Obama did not challenge him on what was really only fact babble and did not bring up all the issues that Romnney oculd be challenged on. So on substance this was a draw because Romney's fact were not informative-and Obama did not counter.

October 3, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  23. Robert Johnson

Mitt Romney won the debate! Fight Senerio Romney 13 rounds Obama 2 rounds

October 3, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  24. ChatwithSas

Total agree with Kelly=Independent Voter

I'm sorry Gov. Romney looked desperate. He is so disrespectful He never shut up.
    President Obama look like a real President. He listen, he was respectful and he never once look like he was desperate.
    President Obama did a good job.
    Romney, I don't trust him.. He look like a bad salesmen who was trying to sale sand to the beach

October 3, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |

October 3, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  25. Gerry

I think that making a judgement on electing your President based on looking good is worrying. George Washington's teeth would make him a loser!!!!
    Look at their past, Obama worked his way up from a poor backgound, he acts and talks like a man of the people not afraid to tell the truth. Romney made his money by putting people out of work, he acts like a door to door insurance salesman who will say anything to get elected

October 3, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |