Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Carmella

My biggest concern is Romney's inability to stand by a decision. He comes across as being very indecisive. A sign of an effective leader is the ability to make decisions. As President that's your entire job. Do you really think Romney is ready? I have my doubts.

October 3, 2012 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  2. Ali

Eastern Canada is watching...Go Mr. President...Forward

October 3, 2012 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. Ken James

Go Romney. Canada is watching...and we've seen Obama's snake-oil salesman like ascent to the Whitehouse. The economy is still going no where, jobs are badly needed and for the past 4 years Obama has done everything but focus on what's most important – jobs. Obama has been a lame duck President for the past three years – (the last year because he was more interested in campaigning that doing his job as President) a second term under him would be even worse. It's time to kick this arrogant, condescending, say one thing do another bum to the curb...then Dems can wait for a Clinton to return in 4 years.

October 3, 2012 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  4. Woman In California

Please ask Willard why he thought it was necessary and important, to produce 20 years of tax returns for a VP position to a select few, but now that he is asking for the highest job in the country, why doesn't he feel WE the U.S. citizens are worthy of the same consideration? Please, please ask this LIAR this question on a national stage.

We'll be watching and cheering for you Mr. President in California.

October 3, 2012 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. on StreetWise

NOT so quick mittens... the ghost of G.W. Bush wasn't invited to your GOP/Tea Convention, but your baggage is chained to your neck. Heavy, too much to carry, too much to drop. You're sinking with guilt and guile.

October 3, 2012 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  6. Shalit

Yeah. I agree. Go Obama – Go Away
    Let us have a brand new day
    Go on take a run
    and let Romney correct the destruction you've done

October 3, 2012 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  7. David62

I didn't vote for Obama in 08, but I believe Romney is a wrong man for the job of presidency at this time when Ameican are loosing the young men and women in Afghanestan. He would do what Bush did to this country, "WAR"

October 3, 2012 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  8. Sammy

Why are we only given 2 choices for such important job at such an important time? Gary Johhson should be participating in this debate. Gary Johnson 2012

October 3, 2012 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  9. elaine

Okay so far I do not think Obama is really understanding the concept of debate...

October 3, 2012 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  10. C.M. Bozorth

Both of my American Govt. classes have a great interest in this debate. You see, they have it for a homework assignment and are eager to see it. I have been preparing them for weeks so the 1st class has to report on it in the morning. I'm not taking sides; yet.

October 3, 2012 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  11. ocean girl

Romney – "the wealthy will do just fine" Right under you they'll really do well...what about seniors and middle class?

October 3, 2012 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. Capscorpio

Romney is sounding more like a democrate then. Good strategy just join the band wagon that seems to work.

October 3, 2012 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  13. Stephania Williams

Mitt was asked if he had a question for the President. He did not ask a question, he went off on his agenda.

October 3, 2012 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  14. Wolf

Obama you are the answer....support coming from all ST Lucians in the west indies

October 3, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  15. Stephania Williams

Does the moderator have a grip on this debate?

October 3, 2012 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  16. ocean girl

Is Mitt saying his five boys lie?

October 3, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  17. Richard

What is as on Romney's lapel flag?

October 3, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  18. Wolf

Mitt is seriously off topic...digging his own hole

October 3, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  19. jeannie macintyre

We love you in Australia Mr Romney you're looking and sounding good !

October 3, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  20. Tony

I blink a lot because I have dry eyes from allergies. That doesn't make me a liar.

October 3, 2012 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  21. Steve Trubrit

My vote goes to the patriotic american, not a jessie jackson wannabee!

You go Rom!

October 3, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. Stephania Williams

It bothers me that mitt is smiling during this debate. This is serious stuff, and he looks like he is participating in a game show.

October 3, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  23. CL

Ocean Girl: I have 2 children. I know what Romney meant. My children tend to ask for permission over and over again trying to wear me down hoping that I will agree to their request.

October 3, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  24. ocean girl

well Mitt, that small business owner who has the elctronic's company pays a lot more in taxes that Mitt!

October 3, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  25. Capscorpio

Mitt is just ranting.....now....am I stupid to not understand what job elemination or creation will do .... does he really need to detail the pro/con on this.

October 3, 2012 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |