Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Allison

All go see Obama 2016 before you vote.

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  2. Bettie

It is mind bottling that people can listen to Gov. Romney flip flop and tell flat out lies regarding his policies and his plans for this country. How can one say he won because he was aggressive or shall we say rude to the moderator. Everyone seems to be mad at President Obama for not attacking him about 47% and tax cuts for the rich well . How about we already know what he said we saw the tape !!! Romney does not care about the 47% and Ryan is better than the 30% there you have it. In the words of MLK We "The United States" shall overcome !!! President Obama is not a hateful personal. I respect him for that. If you have to tell lies to impress people than you're not worthy of this position.

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  3. DEE ALAN

Obama is absolutely the worst president ever. I remember Jimmy Carter and the disaster he made of the US, but Reagan turned it around in 3 years where you could see things were changing. Obama brought change, but we went the wrong direction. He has got to go.

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. Angela Miller

I feel as though Romney was still not clear with details. I also feel as though CNN comentators should not say Obama lost because he wasn't aggressive and angry. Totally not true! Obama held his own and Obama inherited alot of the garbage with the White HOuse. So people check the facts

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  5. Inabon

For the next week, everybody will praise Romney for the way he looked and for the fact that he didn't make a big gaffe. After 2 weeks, when the waters settle, we will see that Obama just played him, forcing Romney to lie to keep an appereance. Anyway, I think Obama played it safe and Romney started to dig a hole to big to come out of by the third debate.

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  6. Jane

I am an embarrassed republican. Mitt wore that fake smile and should have been looking at the moderator, Jim Lehre. At least he didn't have his face painted brown. I thought Obama gave answeres while Romney spoke rhetoric

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  7. "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." --B. Obama

As predicted, Romney destroyed the uhbama.

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  8. Kristi

As a small business owner we have seen expedential growth while Obama has been president. Mitt Romney did not do anything tonight except make me even more sure that he should NOT be president of the United States. Romney did not point out any of his policies, what he would do or how he would go about doing them. If the debate is decided by lies,and arrogance then hands down Romney is victorious. Romney seemed to give answers that people would want to hear..not actually what he believes or campaigned on. Obama took the higher road as he usually does..and although that may not win the debate in the media's eyes...it does however say more about his character. Obama came off much more authentic....someone please tell me..what did Romney actually say ????

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. Sparky

Kim what have you been drinking!! Bush did not put us in this position.. Clinton was the one which wanted everyone to have there own home no matter what..... He commanded that bank provide products to make it happen, which caused abuse since it was not regulated.. Check your facts!!

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  10. kIM

Mitt hot headed like bush ( who failed on the war on terror). Obama cool headed managed to kill Osama bin Laden. I got your back prez because you have mine!!!

October 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  11. scott

Romney won the 1st debate and made Obama look small and simple minded,......Democrats ruined the economy from when the took majority power in 2006 (took control of both the Senante and the House) forcing banks to loan housing loans to people who could not afford them or pay them back,which crashed the housing market and caused the bad economy ,just the fact that Obama pushed democrats and Republicans more apart is reason enough we should elect Romney,who has poven he can bring both party's together.After tonight Romney won over many independants and democrats who dont like Obama's Big Government Nanny State

October 3, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  12. shikoh

I think we are still waiting for the facts from Romney. Obama had all the facts. So tired of Romney bitting aroud the bush. What is he really going to do? We have been seeing change since Obama went into office. Wake up America, don't forget four years ago America was a mess. It takes time to clean up that mess. It's easy to forget how people were loosing jobs and their homes. Now that we are we are rebuilding this country, we don't want someone who does not know/tell the American people how he is going to better America. That is Romney, America it's time to wake up. Obama won this debate for sure.

October 3, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  13. Phil Shaver

Romney all the way. Great job.

October 3, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  14. P.Griffen

Romney didn't do anything tonight but show me that he is truly disconnected. He said that he believes in education, but blew me away when he said he would cut PBS! Really?! He showed his disrespect for the medeator, and only bullied to say nothing new. Seems to me he doesn't want us to know how he plans to do a lot of things. I work as a child special Ed advocate, I am in the middle class, I have common sense, and I can do the math..... I will stick with President Obama. To me Romney showed his disdain for real people! Romney is out of touch with the 97%

October 3, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  15. Burt

This was like the Red Sox vs the Yankees. No contest. Poor Obama has to run on his record and it isn't good. Romney took full advantage

October 3, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  16. Stephanie

Romney, hands down. There's no argument.

October 3, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  17. brandon

Obama was speaking the truth which is harder to put into words and intellect. It is easy to tell lies and attack the truth. Obama is taking us down the dirt road yes, but it is the short cut to a better future and the road that leads to the middle class. Romney is going to take the paved road, the road that ls benefits the rich the most.

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  18. Scott

Mr. Obama: Why do you bring up the ExxonMobile tax breaks as if it is up to someone else to fix? We are feeling the pinch every time we fill up. Why haven't you done anything about them over the last 4 years?

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  19. DEE ALAN

The prez is the leader, it is his responsibility to bring people together. How in the world could you blame congress when he doesn't even schedule any meetings or make himself available. When was the last time he met with anyone world leaders or our elected reps? He is the problem.

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  20. Ed Deaton

I must admit that I voted for Obama last time. I will now vote for Romney. Obama is all talk and Romney will get things accomplished that need to be done working with both sides of the isle. Small business is the answer. Jobs are the answer. Obama will only hurt the middle class in the end by chewing on the hand that feeds us and increasing company health insurance costs. Why do you think companies are not hiring right now? They are crushed and it will only get worse.

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  21. Nancy Fulk

Mitt Romney hit it out of the ballpark. President Obama seemed disengaged from the whole debate. "Bless his heart". the President obviously lacks knowledge in basic economics and his programs have resulted in a failing economy and failing foreign policy.

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  22. jo

Anyone that thinks the president is great is a moron. Look around people! Look at the number of businesses in your own home towns that have closed. Look at how many people are now on food stamps and unemployment. Look at how many people have lost their homes. Look at the price of gas, lights, food. This president has done nothing to help this country. He's spend trillions of our dollars on what? He's given millions to a company that went bankrupt. We are owned by China. Don't believe that his health care plan is going to work. I am in the medical profession, I know whats going to happen. You won't be happy believe me. Wake up America and smell the coffee. He's got to go.

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  23. Kate

Romney won the debate.....PERIOD!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  24. Sarah Hearts

Four years ago, Obama won my vote and now four years later he still has my vote. Also, I believe that many people have the same mind set as I do. I'm work a lot and I didn't even plan to go and vote but after watching the Presidential Debates, i will take the day off and vote for our President Obama again. Romney did not seem honest .

October 3, 2012 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  25. jessica

@kim you took the words right out of my mouth y would we want a presadent like romney to be are presadent I think Romney was rude and had no respect for the rules of debate set forth at the beginning of the debate. He constantly went over his allotted time and interrupted the moderator and president instead of answering questions specifically and completely. if this is the way he wants to run the country, I don't want him as are presadent my vote was for romney at first but beacuse he change and ackeded the way he did i am voteing for obama beacuse he can keep hes cool!!

October 3, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |