Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. James

Once again, Romney has abandoned all that he has stood for in order to appeal to a new audience. He has in fact voiced support for many of the core issues held by Obama: a deep concern for the middle class, for affordable health care, for a healthy social security system, for fair wages, and for affordable education. It really seemed like a debate between Obama and Obama Junior.

October 3, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. Lisa

I am an Obama supporter and I have to admit that Romney won. While I thought Romney was rude and bully like at times specifically to Jim Lehrer he was more on his game. Obama seemed to be searching and a bit befuddled. Not at all what I remember his performances to be. I won't change my vote, though. I have followed the campaigns through primary season and still have not been able to trust that Romney has the middle class in his best interests. My biggest fear is that, as being a data guy, he forgets that there are people on the other end of the number. Yes, he gives much to charity. But let's be frank, it is a tax break for him.

October 3, 2012 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. DEE ALAN

Obama has zero accomplishments and it shows. He made this economy a disaster.

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  4. AJ (Republican)

Obama WON the debate... I still do not know what Mitt's plan is to improve the economy. As far as I am concerned, the devil you know better than the one you don't

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  5. truth hurts

Let's face it people.... Obama without a teleprompter and with somebody confronting him on his inferior ideas and made up "facts" is truly a weak, weak candidate, and President, which is consistent with what we have seen over the last 4 years.

Now time for REAL CHANGE in November. Romney/Ryan, FORWARD to BETTER

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  6. dkl

there is no questionn that Romney won the debate because he had the answers and knew the issues... Obama thinks he can smile his way out of this and head to Vegas... Obama failed tonight just as he has failed our country the last 4 years.. you can like him but you cannot say he has done anything to help AMERICA!

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  7. Wondering Wanda

Oceangirl–He is considered top dog because he was able to quote numbers and say the same things over and over

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  8. Lydia

Romney is a horror. He's not qualified to be Pres. He doesn't know what he's talkin about....lol, he repeats lies oven n over in you beleave Romney. He just says, "I'll do Something." Check out the fact checks on the debate. Obama saved this country in the last four years. What that would have looked like if Obama hadn't stopped the economic freefall....there wouldn't have been bread lines because there wouldn't have been any bread. Malls would be empty because All of the stores would be closed. But you just keeep sayin Obama didn't do nothin. Romney, is going to do what he knows how to do if he becomes President, he is gonna fire everyone in the country and sell it off piece by piece.

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  9. kIM

Maybe mitt will let us know his plans tomorrow, after he cools off. Way to go Mr. President, I wouldn't argue with someone who dismissed 47% of the population. Way to stay cool!

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. Floridian

Three undecided votes at our house confirmed for Obama tonight. We are middle class Americans who don't think Romney has a clue about what it's like to struggle through tough financial times. Obama gets it!

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  11. PH Watson

Romney was superb!

October 3, 2012 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  12. DawsonINAZ

Obama was disappointing, as he's honestly been as a president the past 4 yrs.

Cannot see voting for him again. He took our trust, and accomplished little.

Romney seems to have the ideas and energy to perhaps get this country moving forward again. He won the debate , and my vote.

October 3, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  13. Wondering Wanda

Sarah Heart yeah for you. I plan to vote early and let all the 47% know the Repubs plan to take away all the things that help poor people.

October 3, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  14. Name Maggie

This is President Obama without a script!! Not sure about you but this is not president material! Manufacturing is diminishing under this administration the job loss is appalling! It will not improve with Obama! Simply not acceptable!!

October 3, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  15. Sierra Carter

Romney did a good job speaking during the debate, but you simply can’t trust his words. He has changed up his plans multiple times throughout his campaign. Romney says Obama is not creating jobs. It is obvious that Obama has a net gain of 125,000 created jobs. I am a college student of the 47% Romney talks bad upon. I am not wealthy but with the help of financial aid, I was able to be the first in my family to go to college, and I plan to be the first in my family to graduate from college. Obama simply cares for the people and you can see it in his actions and demeanor. I need more than just words from Romney, I need ACTIONS!

October 3, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  16. ga.democrat

Obama didn't bring his A game but I'll never trust Romney and will vote for the President. I've watched these two for the past year and have seen that Romney is dishonest and doesn't stand for anything. Would never vote for a man with no conviction.
    Obama/Biden 2012

October 3, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  17. Patrick

Obama clearly lost the debate. He looked mad and was looking down etc. When you get on stage face to face you can't rely on BS your minions spin for you. Romney was well prepared with facts and his stance on the issues. He demonstrated the experience that Obama lacks. Obama should have been able to do much better given this was Romney's first presidential debate.

October 3, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  18. dpd

.... the way u are all portraying this as tho romney did so well, and the President did not... is utterly shameful. Mitt Romney never answers a question. Smoke and mirrors. Throwing out a bunch of ideas, that make no sense btw, not offering one single solid detail.... isnt having an answer. His ideas do not fit the lives we all live, he's absolutely out of touch with how the medical community functions, how the elderly would deal with vouchers.... it is just plain ridiculous. Would your elderly mother shop around a voucher? My dad is at the beginning stages of dementia... i mean, he just is not in touch with the vast majority of the American public, and how the rest of us live. He is the last dude i would vote for.

October 3, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  19. me

One more comment b4 I go. I do agree, obama didnt even try. He knew he was up against a dummy to put it nicely. Sorry folks but romney is dumb as a dumb can be. He is only a follower who accepts the advice of his advisors whist he funds. This was a bad move for Obama, and I do hopes he learns not to be so crocky. He has this thing hands down, but being so confidant is not good.

October 3, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  20. nick

good job obama!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  21. Flavia dmello

Hands on Romney won this debate. Besides he seemed very knowledgeable compared to Obama who was lost most of the time. He rightly said that he spend most of his valuable time in the first two years with a democratic majority house and senate to pursue Obama care instead of concentrating on jobs and the economy. Even a few weeks ago during the tragedy in Libya he was more interested campaigning and trying to keep his job instead of being in Washington to resolve this crucial issue. It will be a disaster if Obama is re-elected.

October 3, 2012 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  22. truth hurts

brandon – Obama was speaking the truth which is harder to put into words and intellect.
    ====================================================================

No, the problem was he didn't have a canned speech and a teleprompter. Wake up and smell the coffee!

October 3, 2012 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  23. Undecidedvoter

I truly hope that Romney will remind Obama during one of the following debates the statement Obama made in 2008 while running for the office: "If I fail to fix the economy in the next three years, let it be a one-term presidency".

October 3, 2012 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  24. P D

Romney gave me the creeps with his eyes and jumpy appearance when President Obama was speaking. Romney won't do anything different. The only thing that Republicans manage to do is get us into wars.

October 3, 2012 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  25. Pamalama

Yes, Mitt Romney was smoother- yes he did well- BUT- let's not lose sight of the one question Americans should be asking themsleves, after this debate? WHO DO YOU BELEVE?
    To me that is still president Obama. Mr. Rmoney just did was he always does- LIE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.
    He was just a little smoother this time- but would you trust him as president?
    WHO DO YOU TRUST? I trust Barrack Obama.

October 3, 2012 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |