Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. CL

Past 4 years: Lost job 4 times. About to lose my job again. My company just announced layoffs. :(
    Past 4 years: Making less money than I did 4 years ago :(
    Past 4 years: Speding more money on food and gas. :(

I cannot afford another 4 years! I have kids to feed.

October 3, 2012 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. NBZenmaster

Obama is definitely more presidential, more measured and reasonable in his approach. Romney seems to be like a spoiled child (his dad was governor of Michigan, he did not grow up in poverty), and actually comes across as a whiner. The facts are Obama took over during the worst of times, and because he took a careful approach to the issues, we are now in a good position to recover. Remember, the economy collapsed because of the nonsense that Wall Street pulled, nothing else.

October 3, 2012 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  3. JO

I am absolutely perplexed that Obama doesn't understand the most common sense argument Romney makes. And that is, if you lower the tax rate you give corporations and small businesses a greater opportunity to invest, expand and hire. To me, that's all I need to hear...

October 3, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  4. Yankee

While I thought Obama should have attacked Romney more forcefully, I think that the fact that Romney bends (a gift of words) his platform to suit the electorate is frightening at best. Vote for him and be wary. Obama stands for ideals. You may or ,ay not believe in those ideals but Romney changes his plan to appease his audience. That frightens me and it should frighten you.

October 3, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  5. mike

Obama isn't so tough when he can't dodge the question or throw out a slogan. Romney called him out on all the topics he would normally have gotten a pass on. That strategy might have worked in campaign mode, but face to face it just doesn't work.

October 3, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  6. Hawk in texas

Do any of you ever look at romney when someone challenges him on something he said? he gets all ruffled up like what right do you have to question me. that is the elitist coming out. when he said that he would not give the rich a tax break he lied. when he said that he would not kill medicare he lied. in fact he lied quite a bit .

October 3, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. sandy

Sure Romney looked better.... he essentially walked back from most of what he had been promising his base over the past year.... This new Romney just loves, loves, loves teachers, just loves all the popular features of the Affordable Care Act (and yes, Obama cares), and just can't say enough about the need for federal bank regulations.. Huh? There were so many flip-flops in his talking points my heads still spinning! No wonder the President was at a loss.... It was almost as if he was having a debate with himself! Too weird..

October 3, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. Patrick

In future debates I expect Romney will continue to point out Obama's failed policies and many broken promises.

October 3, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. Willard

Romney seems to understand how the economy works and has A LOT of ideas on how to get the economy out of stall. I was disappointed that the President had nothing new to offer. It will take energy and innovation to make a difference over the next four years. Where there is no vision, the people perish.

October 3, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  10. John M S

Obama needs a teleprompter!!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  11. Kingsley

President Obama definitely won this debate and Romney kept fli-flopping that he makes Sen. Kerry look like the northern star.

October 3, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  12. FRANK MENSAH

I feel like Romey just wiped out Obama's four years of hard work

October 3, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  13. demrules

One thing in life I have learned, is that one should pace him/herself when running a marathon- if one is to obtain the prize. I do believe, however, that the President knew that Mitt would charge out of the starting gate spilling all of that newly learned information. Remember, there are two more presidential debates left. Romney still need to make himself more likable and trusting...debate points doesn't do that.

October 3, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  14. Cyrus

Go Romney! He really had a cool look while Obama was all confused and nervous. Without a teleprompter, he cannot answer any questions. Romney definitely WON the debate.

October 3, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  15. nicole

good job on keeping your cool mr.presadent GO OBAMA!!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  16. CL

Yankee: Politicians all do that. The President did it many times on many issues.

October 3, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  17. DEE ALAN

Look at the results of Obama, not his teeth. He is destroying this country in just four short years. If he wins again, America is history and we will never recover.

October 3, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  18. Richard

Why did their people allow Walmart to supply their ties??

October 3, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  19. Mary

Mitt Romney was like a bad actor who managed to learn a few lines and was going over and over with them. Obama looked more humain and sincere

October 3, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  20. ft

I find it hard to believe that no one is talking about the moderator. What a terrible job he did!! Is there no one else out there that could have kept the time limit and kept control of the debate?? Come on, paleez!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  21. jim

Hard to know which Romney to believe.

October 3, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  22. Denise

And....Mitt Romney showed himself a man not only of great intelligence but of genuine character! I vote for him!!!!

October 3, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  23. mjhsah99

I am a registered independent that leans democratic in most elections and voted for President Obama last election. I must tell you, I think this debate has settled my decision. I will be voting for Romney in this election, he has a better personal presence and I think will provide better overall leadership within the country.

October 3, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  24. sad day in media and politics

What tonight's debate and the spin frenzy that followed tells me is that media and possibly America wants the mud slinging. The President takes to me what is the high road and doesn't get in the gutte and sling the "47%" issue but rather talks to the issues and the erroneous consensus is that he lost the debate. Do we want the mudsling? I hope not. I applaud the President for not mentioning it. It gets high marks from me relating to his character. Talk to the issues. Leave the combativeness at home. We all love this country. Let's decide this one on the issues and not a bunch of spin doctors slinging mud!!

October 3, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  25. Wondering Wanda

Just heard the numbers on the debut–60% were all repubs–what do you bet? He still did not tell us anything–look at the panel- I was thinking maybe 43% to 51% for romney

October 3, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |