Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. DEE ALAN

Obama doesn't know how to handle money, look what he has done - not what he says, Wake up people.

October 3, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  2. Pamela Jones

I think that Romney was rude and all he could do was keep going over the time that was allowed to answer these questions, he never gave a clear answer and as for those political analyst that said Romey won it by 67% vs.Obama @25 % you all must be republican, quiet honestly I think that Romney will kill the american dream, i am on Disability and so I am for Obamacare and Romney lost jobs not gain jobs why did he lose his home state? all Romney could do was butt in on obama how do u think he talked more.. come on people in the press. get on board my family is voting for Obama for a second term! GO OBAMA!!!

October 3, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  3. NBZenmaster

I would benefit from tax cuts proposed by Romney as I am in top tax bracket. However, it is simply not true that tax cuts for the rich will rebuild the economy. When Reagan was President, national debt was $80 billion, when he left 8 years later it was $1 trillion. We are driving off a cliff, and we need to get back to basics of only spending what we can afford. The stimulus packages prevented us from completely falling into depression, but as the economy continues to improve, we need a plan to get things in order. Romney's plan is a recipe for disaster. The wealthy benefit most from government – we never went to war because a homeless person's interests were compromised.

October 3, 2012 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  4. Hair

Mitt and Ryan are unequally yoke to be in office. I believe big bird can read between that line.

October 3, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  5. Donkey Party

Still no specifics from Romney. Not sure what appeals to you right-wingers.

October 3, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. Carey

Romney was great!

October 3, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  7. Carol

In my opinion Gov. Romney clearly won tonight's debate. Pres. Obama did not appear very prepared. I have never seen our present President intimidated, but tonight I felt that Gov. Romney did just that. Romney took control of this debate from the beginning, and Obama could not turn the tide on that. I noticed that Pres. Obama from time to time would look into the audience (I am guessing to look at his wife for support), and one time he mouthed the words 'thank you.' Although I was happy to see the Governor on his game, I felt somewhat sorry for the Pres. as he was floundering so. He could not counter much of what Romney presented to him because the statements he put forth are true.

October 3, 2012 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  8. Sal

It's terrifying that people believe anything they here from an Obama campaign add. "Well, if obama's comercial says so, than it must be true". You people are what's wrong with the country... You're probably unemployed as well, and will stay unemployed because of the way you vote.

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  9. Serious

President Obama did a wonderful job, he spoke to the American people about what he has done during his time as President. Mitt (the high school bully) on the other hand did not give specifics as usual.

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  10. Will

Obama did clean up Bush jobs destruction 100% 4 million lost 4 million gained

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  11. Big Daddy

The policies of this regime have been self evident for the last 3 1/2 years. They have not workded and when confronted by someone with a very differnt idea, the Pres crawls into his shell. The choice is clear. Romney!

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  12. DEE ALAN

Obama has never had a business nor grown a business. He doesn't know what he's doing. The proof is obvious – look at this mess he's made. Has anyone thought what the next guy will "inherit" it is crazy out of control.

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  13. romney

I think obama was awesome. mitt R did not give any specifics

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  14. Esther L

Romney has convinced me to vote for him as an undecided. He is much more qualified than the president who failed to keep his promise. His pledge to change four years ago only has led us to worse not better. In fact, he did not have any plan for change but was able to fool the majority. Now, we could see Romney lay ouf a clear path/plan for us.

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  15. Valerie Scott

I have been very unhappy with our choices but I was impressed very much with Mitt and feel he is up for the job. I am a Dem but have been unhappy with what Obama thinks is more important and what he chooses to tackle.

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  16. Marilyn

Obama did fine, Romney will only help the rich. He is secretive and that will increase if he gets into office.

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  17. Will

Corporations want cheap labor bunch if jerks

October 3, 2012 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  18. hello

Mitt, have NOT explain any of his policies his half bake lies. Obama, is setting him up for a big fall. The President should bring up 47% views express by Mitt. Mitt have NOT stated any of his future policies he is flip flopping, because he have no solution Mitt will say ANYTHING TO BECOME President. What debate? President Obama spell out his policies I STILL WAITING FOR Mitt solutions? CNN, is just fox news dishonest and treating us like children. The only thing Mitt is sure on he WON'T CUT TAX FOR PEOPLE LIKE HIMSELF.

October 3, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  19. Shanequa Frye

Hello! My name Shanequa Fryer from Augusta Ga, only people with plenty of money cares about the aggressiveness of Nick Romney performance tonight. However, as an undecided voter, I want the true! I've been following the campaign, this was not the man I've seen in the being of the year, including his running mate (lie,lies,lies). Nick Romney Knew he had to come with a game plan, just like playing basketball in the finals. The first game is going to be good "then what". I feel as a person that voted for the republicans last term, that Barack Obama was truthful and comm. I took it, as if the president was prepared for BS, the president is the first president I every seen the media and other big money people to check everything he has said he would do as a check list. Bush never had a check list! I am going to vote for the man that is consist with what he is saying, verse a man who changing what he believes in for votes and that blinks 200 times in 90mins.

October 3, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  20. DEE ALAN

Obama showed his ignorance. he has no clue, never did and should never have been elected. What a disaster.

October 3, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. sandy

and Jo.... American corporation are sitting on record amounts of profits right now.... so why aren't they creating those promised jobs? Because the American workers who still have jobs are working longer and harder, for lower wages than ever before. Don't be so gullible and naive. My goodness, just look what Mitt Romney is doing with his money. Secret bank accounts in the Caymans? Oh sure.... that's trickle down in action... just imagine what would happen if all those large corporations actually did care about creating jobs. Get real...

October 3, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  22. NameTuli

Romney was manipulative, arogant, populistic. I do not like the tone of his campaign. Watch his body language! Obama was calm and confident. He dudn' t look like someone else put the words n hs muth. He knows and uses facts. Don't let manipulations, see the facts, add two and two! Well done, Mr. Obama!

October 3, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  23. Kim

The debate tonight just proved that Mitt Romney will say and do anything to win. His lies were so profound and disappointing. He's out of touch with working class people and doesn't even understand what it means to go to work everyday and make an honest living. President Obama has walked in my shoes and understands the struggles that the American people are facing. He's real and true and deserves my vote.

October 3, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  24. ranhe

Obama 2012

October 3, 2012 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  25. Sally

Romney secured my vote tonight. He was very presidential in both manner and appearance. He was confident, and didn't need to steal time from the President to make his points. I was impressed. Let's hope we have the opportunity to have a businessman for our president. Hopefully, he can turn the economy around -something Obama has not been able to do in 4 years.

October 3, 2012 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |