Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Judy

If your very very rich, you certainly want to vote for Romney. I don't think P. Obama was ready to be run over like that on a debate. The commentator in charge of the debate was not ready for an elitist to lead the debate either. Next time lets find someone capable of leading a debate.

October 3, 2012 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  2. Kim

Mitt had the right words for all the wrong reasons. He will say whatever is needed to win. No facts or substance from Mitt. The President allowed Mitt to make a full of himself and carry on with that out of control twitching eye. The President was cool and calm.Exactly what we need in a President.

October 3, 2012 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  3. mike

president obama was terrible tonight, but I am still voting for him because I believe his policies are best for the country

1) 47% nothing said about this huge mistake
    2) make Romney give more details

October 3, 2012 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  4. IndyQ

Wow, Romney really crushed it tonight. Strange to see Obama so inarticulate.

October 3, 2012 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  5. DEE ALAN

Vote for Mitt and he will unleash the american economy and you'll see it fast.

October 3, 2012 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  6. PKay

I certainly don't think Romney 'won' this debate. He came across to me as insensitive, bullying and dismissive of those of us in the 47%– as I expected. He steamrolled over the moderator. Like rich guys who think they can get their way whenever they want. Obama wasn't sweating, smirking and wriggling like Romney, who was clearly in attack mode. Aggression shouldn't win votes. Obama was measured, thoughtful, presidential and believable. He'll take the second debate and OBAMA CONTINUES TO EARN MY VOTE.

October 3, 2012 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  7. jvaras

Obama was presidential tonight. Next debate will show him as the agressor and will show how Rommney has change all his views to satisfy the American audience. Tomorrow the annoucements for the Democrats will begin to show this change.

Rommney change his entire platform tonight, be careful of changes of this nature. Presidents do not pass laws Congress does, President can only format and press for an Idea to better the country. Remember that most Republicans made a pledge to man in their party putting aside the pledge to the Nation and the people that elected them.

October 3, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  8. raj joshi

....What will happen to Romney when he is voted into office after almost a 2 billion dollar campaign...He will get influenced and give into the powers that brought him there. Obama promised the world but his contributors brought him back to reality.
    The candidate that has nothing to lose and no contributor to answer too, will bring America forward. Maybe slightly, but forward.

October 3, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  9. DEE ALAN

Kim – pay attention and stop focusing on blinking eyes. Obama is empty and shallow. Policy is what is important not how someone looks.

October 3, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  10. Jennifer

All I can say is...Are you better off financially now than you were 4 years ago??? Stay with the President and just imagine what you will be like in the next 4.......

October 3, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  11. John

I am a White Guy I won't be voting for Mitt Romney. He a liar, President Obama was respectful were Romney was rude and a big bully. I still do not know how he will deal with the economy?

October 3, 2012 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  12. Joe

I am very worried – Obama's heart did not seem to be in it, and I had the same thought about his convention speech. I am not sure he truly wants another term. If that's the case, we are all in trouble.

October 3, 2012 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  13. Barbara

Who could vote for Romney??? He was exhausting tonight. He has no conviction and just says anything. I don't know what he stands for .... his position changes everytime I hear him talk. People generally call that "LYING". I want a President that stands for something and will fight for their beliefs even if it cost them votes. I will vote again for President Obama. I was on the fence, but made my decision tonight.

October 3, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  14. Jeff

Obama was stressed the entire time. Very tense. And always on the defense very bad and un composed body language. Liberals must not know how to read body language. Romney was never stressed watch the debate with the sound OFF and see who was composed mitt tore him UP

October 3, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  15. DEE ALAN

Wow, it was nice to see Obama squirm. He is empty without his teleprompter. he just repeated the same thing over and over again.

October 3, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  16. Dan/Nashua

I am a college student at this time, as I was when Mitt Romney got elected Governor. Mitt tonight talked how he likes Community Colleges in Massachusetts, but as Governor in his first year, tried to consolidate the Community Colleges into the State Colleges (4-year) unsuccessfully. Also, while Governor, he cut appropriations every year to the Community Colleges in Massachusetts. Not opinion, but fact as I worked with 2 of them. Mitt Romney claimed earlier this year that he didn't know what the Middle Class was in this country, but now as if he found Religion, he starts claiming he isn't going to tax the Middle Class, while giving YET NO SPECIFICS. What is amazing is that 83% of people polled by the Boston Globe, said that this debate wasn't going to change their views. In regards to performance, Mitt was very agitated with the moderation, and kept trying for extra time. The President while grimaced at times stayed with his message. Game Changer.........I don't think so, as 83% didn't think this would sway them either way.

October 3, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  17. mike

Romney equals a recipe for disater for this country

October 3, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  18. HeathG

When will you Democrats get it? So what if the rich or wealthy get tax breaks. I am a military combat veteran who is employed in the PRIVATE sector since returning from Iraq. Who do you think employs the common people? The rich and wealthy. Who signs your paychecks? the rich and wealthy. How did the rich and wealthy get there? by working hard and fulfilling a dream or desire. You hate the rich why? Jealousy? Too lazy to chase your dream? Not enough will power? Get over yourself. You arent guaranteed n eccentric life. You work for it. And to the people on disability or unemployed....it isnt mine or anyone else responisibility to make sure you have money or healthcare. As harsh as it sounds you are you're own person and there are outside sources for healthcare in the private secotr. Sure the cost may be higher but just like auto insurance if you get in a wreck you're premiums go up...put on you're grown up pants and get over it.

October 3, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  19. D

You know Mr. Obama made lots of promises when he was elected 4 years ago. I don't see that he has kept any of them so why should he get 4 more years? I believe Mr. Obama had his chance and now it's time for a real change.. Are you better off than you were 4 years ago? My family sure isn't. Can Mr. Romney make things better for us? I think he deserves a chance, it has to be better than we have it right now.. ROMNEY / RYAN 2012!!!

October 3, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  20. Ben

Romeny was the better debator. Obama is (and will be) the better president. There is a difference. Romney delivered a lie in a very attractive package that most folks will not be able to see through. I wish Obama was more assertive tonight because knowing the issues well, I'd say Obama is the better candidate. But he clearly needed to "practice his zingers" better, which unfortunately was the focus of tonight.

October 3, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  21. Roy bap

Millions unemployed,lot of people on welfare ,food stamp,high gas prices and Obama will say we are in the right direction.Most Americans are not stupid.Obama is mistake and a failure.
    Governor Romney deserved to be the 45 th president of the United States.He has the best experience,leadership
    Qualities.

October 3, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  22. DEE ALAN

Romney rocked tonight, he was well spoken, defender of free markets and made good points.

October 3, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  23. Nameeleanor carpenter

Intresting but the probllrm is romny hit home comments and can he deliever? Obama is dealing god knows what tonight but he knows the facts and the economy is better than when he took office...really america look at the facts..

October 3, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  24. Frank

To dee Alan the president is trying to bring our troops home that bush sent over seas to die for petroleum, to put money in rich family's accounts

October 3, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  25. DEE ALAN

Obama looks worried... I hope he begins looking for a job.

October 3, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |