Live blog: First presidential debate
October 3rd, 2012

Live blog: First presidential debate

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney go head to head for the first time Wednesday night, taking the stage in Denver for this cycle's inaugural presidential debate. After spending days in preparation and raising expectations for their respective opponent, both candidates will have the chance to make their case with a little more than one month before Election Day.

Tune in to get minute-by-minute updates throughout the evening, including trivia, fact-checks, polls, and tweets.

LIVE BLOG

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Presidential Debates
  1. Joan

Someone tell me how you can have government insist insurance companies cover more and we don't end up paying more for premiums?

October 3, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Romney knows more than the president

October 3, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  3. oyako

Romney is on the ropes real bad!!!

October 3, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  4. Annette

Why does the moderator keep giving Obama more time to respond to questions than Romney....how very annoying!

October 3, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  5. Tim Trautman

Mr. Romney seems to have abandoned his intellect and credibilty on the health care issue, especially ACA by following Fox News bullet points, one by one.

October 3, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  6. Mcoli

Uhuhuhuh. obama can barely put sentence together.

October 3, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  7. Cliff Massey

Obama looks like a deer in the headlights. He is not having much fun or making much sense. Intellectully out classed.

October 3, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  8. Lalo

Why someone vote for a candidate that will allow insurance companies to tell you, when you need it the most, it is a pre-existent condition.

October 3, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  9. Sydney

President gives Romney an opening on working across the country....

October 3, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Wow – the Rove Bots are trying to convince everyone that Mitt is doing so much better than Obama.

What they aren't telling – you can't trust Mitt. The fact is that Obama was entirely correct about the 5 Trillion Tax cut – which PolitiFact verfied was CORRECT – and which has DENIED multiple times. He is lying about that.

October 3, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  11. HeatherW

Romney liked the healthcare in mass? I wish he could sit at my kitchen table & go over my healthcare bills even after having insurance & paying weekly premiums. He is so out of touch with reality

October 3, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  12. Sanjeev

Romney looks like he is crying, visibly uncomfortable or drunk. So are his ideas.

October 3, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  13. dennis

What a waste of time!!!!

October 3, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  14. nancy

Is it just me, or does Romney sound like he is planning a magazine cover...we've all heard how "numbers" in a cover sell magazines. Romney keeps enumerating his answers! "Number 1, I'd...., number 2....

October 3, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  15. Sally

What an embarrassment Obama is right now to our country. Pathetic...absolutely pathetic performance!

October 3, 2012 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. Kaddie

Mitt Romney looks soooo fake. I've seen more real expressions on Ken dolls!!!

October 3, 2012 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  17. Amy

Can Mitt actually answer a question without going off on a tangent? Mitt has no clue about healthcare and the way it actually works. He doesn't like having a board decide medical treatments? That's what we have right now, it's common practice with the insurance companies!

Mitt comes off like a brash, wealthy fool living in shangri-la who continually interrupts the moderator.

October 3, 2012 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  18. Sam A

Question for Mrs. T – Four years later and we have 2x more people on food stamps becuase of Bush? Really? That's completely absurd. The fundemental difference s Mitt Romey has worked in the business world, understands limited resources that require a balanced budget. And Obama lived in Socialist Chicago la-la land where the government is the only solution

October 3, 2012 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  19. Fred

The president is spending too much time searching for words.

October 3, 2012 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  20. Kelli Goodell

It is clear who actually understands the economyand how business actually works... Obama looks and is clueless about the issues plaguing the economy and his ideas will only make things worse. Mitt Romney is "sacking" the quarterback so bad in this debate, he's going to be in a coma when this thing is over!!!

October 3, 2012 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. Hope2002

The President is giving very specific examples and explanations. Romney is still talking around what he would do without saying anything. He is also exceptionally rude to both the president and the moderator. We don't need smug. We need intelligent.

October 3, 2012 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Mitts smirk shows how egotistical he is -

October 3, 2012 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  23. Ej Williams

Romney cannot be trusted – very convincing with his lies?

October 3, 2012 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  24. Luck to Have a Job

Obama's explanation.....or very poor summary of his own medical care program just sealed the deal for me. I can not vote for him again. He just doesn't seem to get it. I like the guy. I think he would be a good neighbor to have a beer with and maybe watch some hoops together, but I don't think I would hire him to be my financial advisor or banker or if I had a business - have him run it for me. I may have litte in common with Romney, but I think I would trust him as my banker. If I had enough money to hire an accountant, I think I would hire him. That is probably what we need now with all the spending the government is doing with not enough revenues.

October 3, 2012 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  25. Texas senior

look Obama won"t look at Romey in the eye only glances

October 3, 2012 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |