Romney riding high post-debate
October 7th, 2012

Romney riding high post-debate

Port St. Lucie, Florida (CNN) - Mitt Romney used a well-received debate performance to power his way through a three-day swing this weekend in Florida, where audiences seemed newly energized after his perceived victory over President Barack Obama.

Speaking to large crowds in St. Petersburg, Apopka and Port St. Lucie, Romney opened up his stump speeches by recapping his match-up against the president.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"We had a little debate earlier this week and I enjoyed myself," Romney told a roaring audience of roughly 10,000 in Port St. Lucie Sunday afternoon.

"You all had the chance to hear his answers - or his non-answers," he continued. "Now of course, days later we are hearing his excuses, and next January we'll be watching him leave the White House for the last time."

Another new staple of his stump speech: the stories of three Americans whose deaths touched Romney. The candidate spent time each day telling audiences about helping write a will for a 14-year-old with leukemia, as well as the death of a disabled friend.

"I know something about great human beings in this country," he said. "It's that that gives me the confidence that our future will be so bright, because I've seen how Americans respond to challenge, and even to tragedy."

On Monday Romney will give a foreign policy speech in Virginia, where he is expected to criticize Obama's handling of tumult in the Middle East.

"I commit to you I will be a leader," Romney told his supporters in Port St. Lucie Sunday. "When I'm president I will take the care that it takes to rebuild our principles and restore the principles that made America so strong."

Ann Romney also worked to humanize her husband when she introduced him Sunday.

The candidate's wife said the debate gave Americans a chance to see Romney "as I see him: a good and decent person, that throughout his life has exhibited his care for others. And now we're going to get a chance for him to really care for others because we're going to have the chance to see him get people back to work again."

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • Mitt Romney • Presidential Debates
  1. Critical Thinker

Wow, I did not realize so many Floridian seniors want vouchers for Medicare.

October 7, 2012 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  2. Obamarocks

*=
    n His Shoes

Let's consider, that during the presidential debate, the reason President Obama seemed withdrawn was because he may have been highly disappointed in his opponent. Was he disgusted too? Perhaps. Did he do poorly? No.

If you watch his body language and expressions, they are completely unfamiliar to us. That's not Barack, right? He seemed discouraged but, why? Well this is what I can comfortably summarize.

Our leader, as we all know, has notoriously high standards for himself. It's quite difficult for that type of person to extend themselves to and absorb from a person whom doesn't. That would be Mitt Romney. Mitt doesn't. He has shown us that he's dishonest and irresponsible at the very least. He's been misleading the American people. I don't think the president is a fan of that type of behavior. For good reason.

How painful it must have been for Obama to stand there next to him. Probably the longest 90+ minutes of his life.

*= FORWARD. HONESTLY. *=

October 7, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. obsthetimes

Worked to humanize her husband ?
    He's not a cyborg despite all of your word games

October 7, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  4. JOSEPH from Illinois

One never ceases to be amazed at Romney's gaul. He completely changed his postion in the debate from a tea party yes man to running for a Bush third term. He had money for everything except Sesame street and his math was fuzzy as he could not count up to 5. Five trillion that is which is what his tax cuts and tax breaks for the wealthy will cost. If I was a Republican my hardest descision would be for which Romney I would vote for.

October 7, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. Anonymous

High Plains Grifter is riding high, is he? Good. I want nothing more than for him to get his hopes up only to watch him come crashing down to reality November 6, 2012. If ever there was a candidate who deserves to lose, it's Willard Mitt Romney.

October 7, 2012 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  6. J.V.Hodgson

How can you re-build an image and a campaign based on one debate where as usual both sides facts are questionable more so in Romneys case?
    I am sorry but as a voter this is media trying to make the result closer than any reasonable reality at this time.
    Frankly just like Obama I would have been tired of the spin and lies( fact checked adversely claims Romney perpetuated in the debate) Romney spoke.
    Can we please stop evaluating the performance and the acting ( Romney and Obama) which mean nothing to us but how when where why and how Romney is going to achieve 12m jobs during a global recession and slow US growth, balance the 20% accross the board tax cut without it costing the middle class or the deficit or both.
    Its sick,
    Regards,
    hodgson.

October 7, 2012 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. Dubben

Don't gloat Romney, you didn't win on your own arguments or merits. You were more agressive and persuasive, but not factual and specific.

October 7, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. Dzee

Mitt is so caring..he's so caring that when he repeals the clause for preexisting conditions (which is a fact he lied about), he is going to send 50,000 Americans to their death from lack of health care. His plan is only people who have healthcare can get it if they have preexisting conditions..how idiotic can you get...if they had healthcare they wouldn't be classified as that to start with. Mitt's solution for people who can't afford healthcare is to go to the emergency room because he also thinks it's free. Reality is it's the most expensive form of care there is, and emergency rooms are overwhelmed in this country as it is. It's a recipe for disaster. Think about the consequences if you elect this man, forcing bankrupt states to cover Medicare expense, Emergency room expense, education expense..No state can meet these requirements. It will be the end of this country.

October 7, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  9. David

ROMNEY's the Man and will fix things. Glad to see CNN publishing facts & not NY Times re-treads!

October 7, 2012 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  10. Peter

Mitt's plan, as acknowledged by virtually all economics to a greater or lesser degree, relies on virtually EVERYTHING going right in the economy for it to even have a chance at working. If not, the middle class will get a tax hike.

I, for one, am not gambling on a blue sky economy.

October 7, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. gar

Romney is a complete phony. HIs so-called "principles" will just take us back to the disaster of the Bush years, and we are not going back.

October 7, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. Geff

Obama's performance at the debate was uncharacteristically poor. Any chance that it was intentional? Could be he is positioning for the next debate.

October 7, 2012 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  13. Woman In California

And just what would those principles be Willard?
    1) Running off to another country (when you were fully able to fight)?
    2) Dismissing 47% of Americans as lazy and government dependent?
    3) Pledging alligence to this country but keeping your money OUT of it and IN other countries?
    4) Helping yourself to millions of dollars while others were thrown out in the streets?
    5) Planning to send our sons and daughters off to die so your selfish, useless sons can continue to breed?
    6) Reciting God Bless America when you worship an idol god?
    7) Lying about your healthcare plan when you know you have no intention of keeping any parts of "ObamaCare"? and
    8) Closing loopholes which help middle class Americans?

I could go on and on, but most of us know you Willard and what we know we don't like or want any part of. You'll continue to show up at the debates as Mitt, but deep inside you will always be Willard. The man who loves money, and will continue to destroy lives for your own profit.
    No thanks, I'll continue supporting our current CIC ,who continues to work for ALL Americans, not just the rich ones.

October 7, 2012 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. john

Romney riding high reminds me of the character in the show "Eastbound and Down" with silver spray paint all over his face.

October 7, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  15. GaryB

Of course, half of what Mitt Romney said in the debate contradicts his stump speech and donor speech from just a week before, so who knows exactly what he believes in (besides winning at all costs) and what he'll do if he becomes president.

October 7, 2012 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  16. Deborah Alfano

Mitt won the debate while the President stood there unable to defend his own policies. The media has spent the last few days using the words they had expected the President to use which I find concerning. If the President cannot stand up, support his policies and win the debate why is everyone making excuses for him? Why would anyone vote for him when his record is so dismal even he cannot defend his record. Perhaps he has grown to believe all the media hype and really thinks he does not have to support his positions? The voters watched and they knew half way thru the debate that Obama had lost the debate and he had lost the trust of Americans.

October 7, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  17. Gnomepark

"The candidate spent time each day telling audiences about helping write a will for a 14-year-old with leukemia" Sorta like this....I leave my marbles to Johnny...and my bike to Larry...and my hidden Playboy's to Markie. Can't write no more for tears are welling in my eyes.

October 7, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  18. enough

But he didn't actually SAY anything. He talked fast like a used car salesman trying to convince you to buy the lemon.

October 7, 2012 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  19. Obama Mama

Or as we see him, a capitalistic vulture, tax avoider, and flip flopper.

October 7, 2012 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  20. incredulous

What kind of sleazeball uses someone's death as campaign rhetoric while he simultaneously brags about how he'll get rid of affordable health care for millions of Americans?

Remember Romney's claim that the emergency room is adequate health care? Someone should ask him how cancer, leukemia or MS would get treated in the emergency room.

October 7, 2012 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  21. jkisiman

So Romney reminds me of southern rice planters. Profiting off the backs of enslaved Africans. The Rich profiting off the Poor.

October 7, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. BADGUY

Romney offers HIGHER taxes on the lower and middle classes and LOWER taxes on the super Rich. The tax rates on the Rich could very well be dropped to ZERO if the Republicans carry out their stated plan to eliminate the 15% Capital Gains tax.. The Election of Mitt Romney to the Presidency could very well mean the END of Social Security, Medicare AND Obamacare. The Republican plan to convert this country to a Banana Republic will be realized. Don't let this guy WIN in November. VOTE!

October 7, 2012 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  23. Guest

now we know why obama closed his college records.

October 7, 2012 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  24. Po Boy

Too little too late you loser!

October 7, 2012 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  25. Craig RB

I wouldn't buy a used car from Romney but I might buy some manure for my fields.

October 7, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |