The Millennial Voter: 'What's going on? Am I really happy?'
October 7th, 2012

The Millennial Voter: 'What's going on? Am I really happy?'

Editor's note: Analysis of polling, voting patterns, political spending and other trends led CNN to six types of undecided voters being targeted by the campaigns - and then, to these six individuals in six battleground states. They speak for themselves, of course, and not for their demographics. But their stories illuminate the intersection between real life and politics, where personal histories, challenges and hopes mirror those of the nation.

Bedford, New Hampshire (CNN) – Tyler York lives in a comfortable space above a three-car garage. He has his own entrance and kitchenette stocked with Capri Sun and frozen bagels. There's a queen-sized bed, a plush leather couch and a large, flat-screen TV. The land around the house is wooded with old oaks and maples, and the yard is curated by the former president of the local garden club. There's an in-ground pool out back with an HGTV-inspired slide

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012
  1. Gurgyl

This nation is on right direction now than four years ago. A true statement. Yes, on OBAMA12.

October 7, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Plain and simple Obama did come out weak, but prepared on what Romney has been running on the last 7 years. He could have responded much better than he did, but I was taken aback as well by the man that wasn't Romney that walked out onto the debate floor and threw away everything he's been running on and saying over the past 7 years. Unfortunately I'm afraid that many Americans that haven't been following all of this will fall for the act. Romney still hasn't told us much about anything he plans to do. The math doesn't add up.
    Not raising taxes on anyone: ok
    Increasing the Defense budget: ok
    Not decreasing the Education budget: ok
    Not increasing taxes on the wealthy: ok
    Not increasing the deficit through some magic of closing loop holes and tax deductions: ????????
    Not taking a dime away from medicare: ???
    Not touching social security: ???

I don't know about you, but if you look at the budget there really isn't that many more places to find extra money to put us in revenue neutral terms with all those "Not going to do this" promises.

He is either saying I'm not going to do anything different than Obama i.e. keep the deficit where it is now at 1 trillion a year or he some how is going to pull 1 trillion out of his rear to balance the budget. Not likely.

How about you tell us what you are going to do Mr. Romney. Running on the "anyone but Obama" campaign isn't going to do it for you.

Mr. Romney came out swinging in the first debate and clocked Obama a few times, but if the Obama campaign knows what it's doing they will do a full court press on what exactly Romney does plan on doing instead of just saying "we don't know what he wants to do." Make him say it.

October 7, 2012 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  3. Blue

Mitt is a liar, and it has now been put on record for all to see. He will do the same thing at the next two debates. He has no principles and he feels that since he so rich that why should he feel shame. The public will not let him get away with it again. He did not win the debate, but it did prove that he is a bully, and he owes the moderator an apology. I don't believe that I have ever seen a debate where anyone practically told the moderator to shut the hell up. I believe his schoolmates when they said he was a rich bully. What kind of a man would put a dog on the top of a car for a 14 hour drive? Mitt is a man with too many personal problems and should we as a nation take a chance on him. There has been a reason that he runs, runs and runs and just can't win because he is a shady character.

October 7, 2012 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  4. ralph

guryl, right direction allright,right off a cliff! ,were have you been the last 4yrs in disney world!!!!!!

October 7, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  5. ralph

all you liberal should vote hugo chavez he endores pres obummber that a good pair dumb and dummer!!

October 7, 2012 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. Anonymous

I was setting at home the other day wandering which of the two candidates to vote for. I never voted before but have always watched the process to see who we are stuck with. Its not that I didn't want to vote just that I didn't want to vote for someone whose policies and values I didn't believe in. I didn't want to vote on the lesser of the two evils. So not voting was my way of saying I don't like either of you. This time its different! I look at my paycheck every week and see all the taxes taken out. If I work more than 12 hours overtime its not worth it. I mean how much should a person owe to pay their contributions to society isn't 40 hours a week worth of taxes enough not to mention taxes on gas, smokes, food, clothes my house etc etc. If I work more than 12 hours then a big chunk of money goes to the government instead of my family, sure I still make more but i'm tired and they are hungry. I didn't want to say I voted for either of the two candidates once again I thought about not voting..Then the Newspaper came and it had all the people running for office and I saw that there was more than two candidates for president. So I looked The candidates up online and one has got my attention. He wants to do away with income taxes, in favor of taxing merchandise instead so I could keep all my overtime and have a choice of what i want to buy at the store so I pay taxes on what i buy but at-least i can work more hours and get nicer stuff pay bills and feed my family. He also wants to get rid of the corporate tax so that it would be beneficial for businesses to be in America. That could bring our jobs back from overseas. You see if its cheaper to make a product here and then send it elsewhere then it would be beneficial to-do the business here. Anyhow, there are four candidates running for President not just two one of which I am going to cast my first vote ever for. If you don't know who they are look them up find out about them and decide If the one you like isn't a democrat or a republican get the word out. You see they weren't allowed in the debates and don't have many commercials so how else would people find out about them . The election isn't just about democrats or republicans all candidates should be known and heard then the people decide..

October 7, 2012 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  7. Peter Clarke

I was also taken aback after Romney's attempt to stand by his comments about the 47% and then etch a sketch his positions at the debate. Obama should have buried his flip flop ways. No worry though people can see right through his "I'll do anything to be President" positions and we are at least headed in the right direction with Obama / Biden. I wasn't quite sure until I saw Romney's 180 degree turn around during the debate. I will never trust him to do the right thing, shallow character, shallow man...

October 7, 2012 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  8. Crybabies

If you can't beat them, call them liars! Now Axelrod and the rest of teh Dems just needs to add the "pants on fire" line to complete his crybaby explanation. In the debate we saw a Leader – Not a Reader!

October 7, 2012 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. JP

Get over it and grow up Obama. Your time is up, time to say goodbye and move on. Whiner.

October 7, 2012 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. Matt

stop making excuses for a failure as a leader. clearly overmatched. Without his smoke and mirors – written speeches, and a mainstream media that does nothing but hero worship the guy ~ and his mirrors – the telepromter – he couldnt express an original idea. he couldnt form a complete sentence as hea searched for the things his people told him to say – came up short all night.

al gore ~ dont blame the altiture – we get it though, you've never let science stand in the way of anything you claim, so why start now?

Obama was too busy running the country to prepare for the deabte – really? because i was in las vegas when his plane landed sunday. he holed up sunday through wednesay preparing – and he clearly hasnt been running the ocuntry as he has nothing to show for it – if you want to put your egss in this guys basket, dont forget – He will take your eggs that you have spent your time and efforts collecting and pass them around to all the failures who have made bad choices their entire lives.

October 7, 2012 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  11. susan

I dispute this statement. This nation is not on the right track. Mr. Romney is the best person for the job at hand, at this time in our history. Millions of people out of work is not on the right track. An employee who could'nt get the job assigned to him done in 4 years would be fired. And so it is so with Mr. Obama. You're fired.

October 7, 2012 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  12. Ed

Obama is shocked because, like Napoleon, he is not used to being questioned, even by those closest to him. He is by nature nothing more than a Preacher, schooled by his buddy Rev. Wright, who likes to keep getting Amens from the congregation.

October 7, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. mannydanny34

Sour grapes, Mr. Axlerod. During the debate was the time for Obama to call Romney on any perceived position change. But he didn't, and he lost the debate. No doubt he'll come out swinging next time. Should be a good show.

October 7, 2012 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  14. Tali T.

The only "lies" I have heard during this entire campaign are the ones being told by democrats about Romney. I guess the "great uniter" has told the lies for so long, that was what he expected to debate? When he finally heard Romney's real ideas, he didn;t have anywhere to go with it. It is sickening that the media upholds and supports all the hypervoly. yeah, we can see what you are doing!! Shameful!

October 7, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  15. Chris

I'm not sure why repubs were excited. Romney basically went left n threw all ideas the repubs support under the bus. And how do you debate jello. Romney did a great job of making things up in the debate. Why can he not just say exactly what he's gonna do and how he will than stick to it?

October 7, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  16. Guest

1 in 6 on food stamps, 5,000 drop in family income and informed Americans know that obama is lying, lying, and lying from obamacare to this month's employment rate. There are less people working now than when obama took office. Prez Hollywood is pathetic.

October 7, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  17. DEENA hERNANDEZ

MY friend where were you living the last 4 yrs.?

October 7, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  18. nmercy

Hang in there buddy. the liar and more evil one that does not consider you anything among his friends would sell your soul to the devil and tell you what you want to hear. That's just the way he is. please do not vote Romney. He's evil.

October 8, 2012 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  19. RickBangkok

Maybe Don Rickles and Joan Rivers are coaching Mitt.

October 8, 2012 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  20. Jesse C. Crandall

When you debate someone who is pathalogical with everything they say it is extremely diifficult to counter attack unless you have access to their microphone. Meaning, you can shut it off while you refute all they have said. Another problem with people who consistently lie is they are always having to stay one step ahead of you with what they said the day before. This is why Romney has been a "road runner" trying to get to as many people as possible to attempt to right his ship of lies before the President calls him on it next week! Notice how he has put his own spin to the 47% debacle, notice how suddendly he has a "5 "point plan, notice how he will address the nation on Foreign Policy when clearly he had no idea last week or even the last year? You see, when you LIE you are always defending, explaining, backtracking, rewinding the tape in your brain to try to remember what you said yesterday, last month to that when the media gets a hold of you, you think your ready, or if your not you will redirect the question so you give yourself more time to come up with an answer when clearly, you have none! Eventually, the "house of cards" you have constructed with come tumbling down. Why? because you are not mentally capable of maintaining your defense because their are simpy too many people taking notes! Especially, in a Presidential campaign! The stakes are too high, too many people are payin attention, hanging on your every word; so that one slip, one word, your body language, mood, tone of your voice, your insistance to say something after the fact will condemn you. Then, the reallization happens when YOU know the "jig is up" & YOU know that THEY know! Guess what, that day of reckoning is right around the corner! Mitt Romney knows it too! He can't keep up this pace...he will break....THEY always do! JCC !

October 8, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  21. mikeytee

Brazeness? So, just say, "Liar," and explain why.

What O'Bama reminded me of was every other college professor giving a lecture. H just didn't comprehend the "Give us your response in 2 minutes" part.

October 8, 2012 07:28 am at 7:28 am |