Paul Ryan: Pressure is on for VP debate
October 8th, 2012

Paul Ryan: Pressure is on for VP debate

(CNN) - Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan said Monday that Mitt Romney's widely-applauded debate performance upped the ante for Ryan's own showdown this week.

"He raised the bar quite high, that's for sure. Mitt definitely put the pressure on from that perspective," Ryan said on Detroit radio station WJR, just days before his match-up against Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

A new Gallup poll released Monday indicates Romney experienced a post-debate bounce after last week's event in Denver, and other surveys, including a CNN/ORC International poll, showed debate watchers considered Romney the clear winner.

On Sunday, a number of campaign advisers and surrogates conceded President Barack Obama did not meet expectations and signaled the campaign may make "adjustments," using Biden on Thursday as the first attempt to come back.

But multiple Democratic sources told CNN the campaign does not expect Biden to make up for the president's showing in the first presidential debate.

READ MORE: Biden in Delaware for debate prep

The two vice presidential running mates will face off in their first and only debate at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.

Ryan, repeating a line he used this weekend in a separate interview, said he expects the vice president to launch at him "like a cannon ball."

"Because they had such a bad debate, Joe Biden is just going to come flying at us," Ryan said. "It seems pretty clear that their new strategy is just basically to call us liars, to descend down into a mud pit, and hopefully with enough mudslinging back and forth–and distortion–people get demoralized and they can win by default."

The Wisconsin congressman was referring to the Obama campaign's post-debate argument, which used television ads, stump speeches and interview shows to make the case that Romney was dishonest during the first debate, namely on Romney's tax plan. Obama campaign senior adviser David Axelrod on Sunday phrased Romney's performance as unchecked "brazenness."

"That's something we're going to have to make an adjustment for in these subsequent debates," Axelrod added on CBS.

Playing the expectations game, Ryan continued to raise the bar for Biden, reminding listeners that the former 36-year senator has decades of experience.

"He's been on this national stage more than anyone else in politics," Ryan said, further describing Biden as "gifted," "extremely experienced" and a "proven debater."

But he said Biden has one big problem to overcome.

"He has to defend Barack Obama's record and it's not a very good record to defend," Ryan said.

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Paul Ryan • Presidential Debates
  1. don in albuquerque

MittWitt and Lyin Ryan, the Dynamic Duds. Happily bring our economy from slow growth to a complete reversal, welcome World War III, will put millions of sick and elderly on the streets, and both happily LIE about it. Maybe Americans do deserve their kind of gubmint. Millions of Americans PAID for social security and medicare. These are not handouts and I think if you mess with them too much, well....welcome American Spring. I guess MittWitt could govern from France as well as hide in it.

October 8, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. Mciver3

All Obama and Biden can do is call Romney and Ryan liars because Obama has no record to run on. Even fact check (org) says that Obama is not correct about the $5 trillion.
    Under and unemployment at over 20% and more people than ever on food stamps. Obama has failed. Vote Romney!

October 8, 2012 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  3. Brian in DC

Biden, the serial plagiarist, has to defend the poor record under his VP tenure. If he takes a cue from Obama it will be to blame and distract. When that fails, just call everyone else liars.

October 8, 2012 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  4. Wally

The Ryan economic plan is great if your a rich republican.

October 8, 2012 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  5. Jessie P.

My neighbor's 16 year old watched the debate and said that Mitt Romney lied about everything! Does Mitt not know that there are independent fact checkers out there and does Mitt not know that he has been caught on tape stating he supports getting rid of social security, medicare, pre-existing conditions, etc., etc.,? Wake up Americans and check the facts from independent fact checkers.........Mitt Romney lies and will take away your social security, medicare, and tax the middle class more and more because he has to pay for the wealthy!! By the way, my family and I are Republicans voting for Obama. What does my 16 year old neighbor know that a lot of people here writing comments don't know??! What a smart, intelligent 16 year old! A lot of folks could learn from him!

October 8, 2012 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. policies not rhetoric

I was disappointed with OBama's performance but having said that I also have to
    say that I was not at all impressed by Romney's. I don't think Romney really has a clue
    what he will do if he's elected. He gives no solid details and i truly think he and Ryan are
    dangerous for middle class and poor people. While the debate did not wow me one way
    or the other my vote-because of policies and not media rhetoric will be going to obama.

October 8, 2012 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  7. janetlaw

beau – you are kidding, right? Ummm...ya see, we all grow OLD, so you will be an "OLD PERSON" as well! Get it?

October 8, 2012 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. Tom

Lies, mistatements, and etch a scetches should be forcefully addressed. Is that what Ryan is trying to fend off?

October 8, 2012 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Chipster

Were recent polls taken before or after the fact checkers exposed just how many lies Romney told during the debate? Paul Ryan had a market list of lies that he told at the RNC convention so one can only imagine what he will fabricate for that debate.

October 8, 2012 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. Jim

Old drunk uncle Biden, I wonder if he'll just come out and say the truth, "yes we are communists, and its good for America."

October 8, 2012 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. lensmith

Do you think that lying Ryan will flip the flop like Romney did? I doubt it, he is too hasn't learn the ways of Romney, yet.

October 8, 2012 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. Marie MD

The bar high? With which comments? The ones from two years ago which are now the same or different from the ones today? What he is now saying that is pretty much what the President plans are or the garbled sentenced that mean nothing?
    @freedom – your comments on lyan altar boy are hilarious. Who says the rethugs don't have a sense of humor?
    "Ryan is intelligent, articulate, focused, and sharp. He brings a lot to the table for his young years. This is going to be good !"
    He is none of the above but you keep on listening to faux news.

October 8, 2012 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  13. Krehator

This debate will change nothing regardless of who wins it. Voters pick Presidents not VP's.

October 8, 2012 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  14. DENNA

@beau: Go soak you lazy head in another vat of whatever the heck you're drinking now. I'll be you are very familiar with welfare as you cannot be smart enough to actually hold a job.

October 8, 2012 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  15. Jackson

DEMOCRATS ARE IN FACT THE BIGGEST TAX CHEATS AROUND. Timothy Geithner THE PERFECT EXAMPLE.

Biden the Buffoon is history.

__________

Right, because Republicans have never been caught in tax fraud, right?

I am sure if you google "republicans tax fraud" you will find zero results, right?

See, this is the GOP way. Blame only the democrats for something both sides of the aisle are doing.

October 8, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  16. Jackson

overby

Ryan will make toast out of Biden, just like Romney did to Obama. A fool is a fool.

__________

I wonder how Ryan will respond when it is pointed out that Ryan denied ever asking for stimulus money, and opposed the stimulus time and again. And then one day, lo and behold, it was revealed that Ryan had been lying all along because he ***had*** requested stimulus money.

October 8, 2012 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  17. DENNA

I think Lyin' Ryan is on drugs. Why else would he keep telling lies and saying these stupid things? I mean, outside of Fox News and the other conservative rags, who else will believe him? A hint Ryan: If your lips are moving we can hear your lies. Shut up!

October 8, 2012 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  18. Squigman

The boot lickers for the republican party are alive and well. Hope you get your wish and Romney gets elected. Hope you can live with the reduction in your benefits, as well as the reduction in your living standard. But, it'll all be worth it if just one millionaire can keep from paying taxes another four years. It'll be worth it. Yes sir.

October 8, 2012 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  19. jack johnson

I don't know about everyone else, but if Romney/Ryan get elected and they want to switch to a voucher system "I will try and sue them" to get MY money back that I paid into an accont for retirement (that the Government was not to touch). This my money so if they think they are going to keep it (To keep from repaying the $6.73 trillion that they stole from the retirement fund) they have another thought coming). It's just like Baib Take over the company and steal everyone's retirement, then close the plant.

October 8, 2012 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  20. norma jean

BEAU......I don't know where you came from or where you are going but you can't get anyplace if you can't read and write!!!. The statements you have made about Social Security and Medicare are not only factually incorrect they are outright lies......If Social Security is a hand out to seniors ...will you explain how I,a senior paid into the system on my first job at thirteen years of age and I have a statement from So.Sec. to prove it....I paid into that system for years out of every paycheck I recieved. I didn;t see a dime of it until I was old enough and ill enough to retire!! I pay every month for my medical!!!....Where do you get your 'PHONY" information????. I GUESS YOU ARE THE PHONY~~

October 8, 2012 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  21. norma jean

what we have here is a bunch of short sighted people who are going to very surprised during the first week in November!!!!!!!!!!! Just learn to live with it folks!!! Correction...I don't pay totally for my medical{if I have any}..I pay IN TO} it every month!!!!

October 8, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  22. Jill

There's nothing good about this "man" - it's obvious....

October 8, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  23. Laura, Boston

President Obama had the opportunity to refute anything he felt was untrue. Did he do that? No! He said over and over. Romney and I see Medicare pretty much the same way." Okay so how can you come out the next day after Romney cleans your clock and call him liar! Same with Ryan! Play fair or don't play at all!!!

October 8, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  24. Jim in PA

LOL. Ryan just exposed that he is afraid of Biden's straight-forward style. He's trying to establish a narrative that will cause Biden to be more reserved and afraid to call Ryan the liar he is. Nice try Paulie.

October 8, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  25. Josef F

Don't worry, Paul. Just lie as much as Mitt did and you'll do fine.

October 8, 2012 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |