October 9th, 2012

Numbers overload: Polling data hype sways voters

Washington (CNN) - Treating presidential polls as gospel is a little like placing political faith in the lifespan of a fruit fly.

"People tend to subscribe a more durable nature to polling data," said Russ Baker, a political science professor at Rutgers University. "It's more ephemeral."

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Polls
  1. HOLY TIGHTY WHITIES WILLARD

I'm not swayed. This is nothing but the media trying to stay relevant when they know this race is over.

October 9, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Polls schmolls.
    Your vote is the ONLY poll that counts.
    Vot America.
    Obama 2012.

October 9, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

OBAMA will win! Keep this country moving forwards not backwards into the dark ages of the Repubteaparty!

October 9, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. Claudia, Houston, Tx

It's past time for the Honorable Senator John McCain to answer "the call of duty" and stop Romney, the Vietnam draft dodger, from using our deceased Honorable Military Men and Women for his own personal gain by saying "We" go where there's trouble, "We" go where needed. Answer "the call of duty" McCain, do it for all our Vietnam Veterans including my deceased brother.

October 9, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Borderless

Ok, CNN, I'm confused. Do you put stock in polling or not? Wait. I think I understand. Polling is meaningful when Obama is up in the polls but a waste of time when he's down in the poll. Got it. I understand the rules now. Epic reporting, as usual.

October 9, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

We have seen the republican lie machine waste $1.2 billion already, and the best they have is a failed MA governor polling close to the president.

October 9, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Borderless

Paul Simon is providing a new campaign song for Obama in light of the latest poll numbers:
    "Slip Sliding Away"

October 9, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Once a Clueless Republican

I don't need a debate or a poll to remember what Mitt stands for. The President didn't have to tell me that night. I knew as soon as Mitt began to speak he was being untruthful. How? I've been paying attention. So, if you're a true undecided voter paying any attention at all, you knew it too, and you should not have let Mitt's hyperactive diatribe take you in. You reap what you sow, (I know. I voted for Bush) And you reap it for the rest of us, too. Take the blinders off and throw them in the trash.

October 9, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  9. ryche

Hey obama, when are you going to be straight with the american people and tell us honestly why your administation allowed an abassador and 3 others to be murdered on Sept 11th... Tell me why you than came out, knowing fullwell it was a terrorist attack, to tell us that it was a video... and that same video you decided to hype, than caused major rioting throughout the middle east... than to come find out that several reqests were made to have security left in place, instead of pulling security out and leaving our ambassaddor at the mercy of terrorists... This who situation #$#$% me off to no end, and i cannot believe that there isn't more being exposed about this story.. This is worse than watergate, yet our president is running around talking about big bird... when are the adults going to be in charge...

October 9, 2012 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Sad for Obama supporters

When the polls favor Obama CNN says they are ligit. Now CNN says they arent. Media Bias?

October 9, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. DENNA

@ – Borderless – Ok, CNN, I'm confused. Do you put stock in polling or not? Wait. I think I understand. Polling is meaningful when Obama is up in the polls but a waste of time when he's down in the poll. Got it. I understand the rules now. Epic reporting, as usual
    ------------------------------------------------
    Same applies to Mittens & Company. Polls good when I'm up, polls bad when President is up. Got it!

October 9, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. Namejkane sfl a vote for lady parts romney the tax cheat and lyin lady parts ryan willcut your moms medicare and soc sec . .can you afford to pay for them???

I'm not dumb enough to vote for a gop lieing tax cheat that got us in this hole in the first place so romney and guide cronies can continue to loot the country for their own profit ,Obama all the way ,and vote early so the gop losers can't rig the elections !!!!!!!

October 9, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. The REAL Truth...

@ryche – Hey obama, when are you going to be straight with the american people and tell us honestly why your administation allowed an abassador and 3 others to be murdered on Sept 11th...
    -----------------------------
    Hey (5th) reich... perhaps he will answer (if he knew) when Dubya gets pulled into the International Court in the Hague for illegally invading a sovereign country, killing 100,000 civilians (or was that merely "collateral damage") and over 6,000 of our own US troops ?? Get a grip dude.. quit parroting the hating of foreign-owned Faux Noise Entertainment channnel.

October 9, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |